“The target is to try to go up this year,” said Banide

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, boundaryblue80 said:

We've brought in 2 goalkeepers. So Iversen has been replaced (fans are complaining we now have 3 keepers!) The quality of his replacement...is...as I said...to be seen once the season begins. Clarke & Edmondson most certainly need replacing. It's July 9th...I'll piss my pants if we've not added any centre backs around the end of July. Not today tho, thanks. Surridge and Lyden went well before the season end...we still were in with a shout of the playoffs without them so there was ability to mix-it in this league (until the Ginger one fucked it.) Lang will be the hardest player of the lot to replace but then, we're in League Two and it'll be tough to find another him (or Surridge.)

I do love this annual early July pissing session our fans do. Every single year. As for Corney...not sure how far back OWTB's archives go but if you search for previous Julys you'll see I've said the same every time. A squad will be built up towards the start of the season and with the loan window going on further into August, I'm well aware we will utilise that once the permanent signings window closes. It's what we do. That wasn't my issue with Corney...it was things like loaning money off the likes of Necarcu (links with Vaughan) and selling sell-on clauses for a bag of pork scratchings.

Getting back to my original point however, this league won't be any harder than last season. It's just a great sound bite. Everyone thought the likes of Bradford would walk it in League One when they came down, now they're in League Two. It might take them a couple of years to turn their slide around. Salford could be strong but they will be doing the Lincoln march up the pyramid. Like for like. It happens.

Be nice if we just held our thoughts for a couple of weeks and see what we build. Novel idea, eh?

Makes you wonder why we set our Moroccan team building trip in early July then

1 hour ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Be nice if we just held our thoughts for a couple of weeks and see what we build. Novel idea, eh?

Novel as in it's a similar philosophy to the one that's reaped so much success over the past decade or so and with disastrous effect over the past couple of seasons, I will wait with bated breath then.

We hear the same tripe trawled out year on year when it's clear to see we need major reinforcements, personally I feel we don't have a striker or a centre half of any repute on the books, we are little over three weeks away from kick off the teams in a foreign land due home next week iirc and we are miles away from having a squad that can compete never mind challenge.

I appreciate that some will see three weeks as ample time to mould a squad together but personally I feel we will be starting on the back foot (again).

On 7/7/2019 at 7:56 PM, yarddog73 said:

It's a difficult one but if that was the case I'd reconsider my decision but it's hard to put to one side how people I know have been treated and the sly shithouse way these blokes operate, personally I don't want to be party to it, I wont criticize anybody who wants to go and sometimes wish I could approach it the way some of my friends do who effectively go for the social aspect regardless of how we are being run, it's just my personal choice though.

With all due respect that isn't going to happen until everything settles down and club is run in an acceptable manner, personally I feel the situation will get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

100% 

I am optimistic by nature, I have watched the videos and my mind drifts towards the fact that maybe it is improving and they’ll do ok. 

Then I remember that Pete Wild walked away. A lifelong Oldham fan, who ended up with an opportunity partly through circumstance that he likely never otherwise would have had. 

The fact that someone who has busted a gut from a not “traditional” method to make a career in professional football had a chance at his club, but walked away (would rather be manager at Bury) says it all. 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Like how he's decided the league won't be any harder than last season but nobody is allowed to have a view on our own squad until August...

Everything there is to win. 

Al Kuwait.

He's won.

3 hours ago, youngen said:

Makes you wonder why we set our Moroccan team building trip in early July then

For the same reason everyone else is doing it now. The season starts a month before the window closes. 

14 hours ago, kowenicki said:

For the same reason everyone else is doing it now. The season starts a month before the window closes. 

Obviously, you would just think that with his "many contacts" he would have had a backroom staff and playing staff in place early enough so there was a point to it.

On 7/9/2019 at 12:06 PM, boundaryblue80 said:

We've brought in 2 goalkeepers. So Iversen has been replaced (fans are complaining we now have 3 keepers!) The quality of his replacement...is...as I said...to be seen once the season begins. Clarke & Edmondson most certainly need replacing. It's July 9th...I'll piss my pants if we've not added any centre backs around the end of July. Not today tho, thanks. Surridge and Lyden went well before the season end...we still were in with a shout of the playoffs without them so there was ability to mix-it in this league (until the Ginger one fucked it.) Lang will be the hardest player of the lot to replace but then, we're in League Two and it'll be tough to find another him (or Surridge.)

I do love this annual early July pissing session our fans do. Every single year. As for Corney...not sure how far back OWTB's archives go but if you search for previous Julys you'll see I've said the same every time. A squad will be built up towards the start of the season and with the loan window going on further into August, I'm well aware we will utilise that once the permanent signings window closes. It's what we do. That wasn't my issue with Corney...it was things like loaning money off the likes of Necarcu (links with Vaughan) and selling sell-on clauses for a bag of pork scratchings.

Getting back to my original point however, this league won't be any harder than last season. It's just a great sound bite. Everyone thought the likes of Bradford would walk it in League One when they came down, now they're in League Two. It might take them a couple of years to turn their slide around. Salford could be strong but they will be doing the Lincoln march up the pyramid. Like for like. It happens.

Zeus has been binned off.

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2019 at 12:06 PM, boundaryblue80 said:

What’s your thoughts now the transfer window is shut?

8 hours ago, Stevie_J said:

“The target is for enough clubs to go tits up to ensure we can’t be relegated.”

I see Bury are trying to negotiate a deal with the EFL whereby they write off playing any games this season on the proviso that they can start again in League Two next season.

Can we do that?

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I see Bury are trying to negotiate a deal with the EFL whereby they write off playing any games this season on the proviso that they can start again in League Two next season.

Can we do that?

Probably not, but its certainly worth looking into.

8 hours ago, Stevie_J said:

“The target is for enough clubs to go tits up to ensure we can’t be relegated.”

Even that plan is looking dodgy now. 

We literally could have gambled on a core team  of youth players (like was stated) with only one going down and the squad could have been stronger than this one. 

16 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

What’s your thoughts now the transfer window is shut?

Happy that we added Woods, Wheater, Egert, Mills and Wilson. These are added to the likes of Hamer, Iacovitti, Missilou, Maouche, Branger and Nepu that Pete Wild could get a tune out of last season so no reason we can't this season. Banide needs to work on how to do this. Sylla is coming on. Fage and Eagles have had promising starts. Smith added yesterday has potential. Very happy to see Morais back...liked him 1st time around and should help with our creativity issues. Desire looks raw but has something about him. Wilson will hopefully improve...but does need a man alongside him to be fair.

Very disappointed we didn't get another striker though. That is the one thing most of us hoped for upfront after landing the bruiser at the back in Wheater. Hoping to soon see Iacovitti moved back to his LB position and when fit, Egert in the middle which will help the balance of the team. At present, LB and LCB situation is a big issue and I'd be playing Stott and moving Iacovitti to LB.

Other additions, well we know very little about them until they take to the pitch. So many new players will take time to be coached and gel together. I long for the days we gave a squad half a season before writing it off. But it's 2019 and the saying "only as good as your last game" has never been more apt.

There's enough in those players I've listed for us to be pushing up the table (although I don't see us getting much down at Plymouth - who I expect to win the league - but thereafter...we shall see.) There have been improvements, we should've been well ahead at HT on Saturday but the tactic of long balling to 1 man upfront in the 2nd half vs Colchester left a lot to be desired. Was never getting back into the game like that. I know that the agenda will probably blame the owner for that tactic...sadly, that comes down to Banide as Head Coach. Like the team...he will need 10/15 games before being able to assess what he brings to the team. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.

12 hours ago, latics22 said:

Hes gone very quiet..

I've said plenty on Twitter and posted on here about the game so you're not looking close enough 😅 I've replied above to Jorvik as I know him personally but tbh, I'm not that interested in feeding the echo chamber as every post returns to the same shite and bile which is boring a lot of folk who read OWTB. Let's see if we can avoid this one heading the same way 👍

8 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

There's enough in those players I've listed for us to be pushing up the table

Good response.

I disagree on the quoted bit but that's my opinion on it. Like you say though, it could be very different 10/15 games in and I will be more than happy to be proven wrong. I'm glad people can take positives out of our current situation, I've never felt so detached from Latics and I hate feeling like this.

Tbh, I am expecting a man who has won everything there is to win with Al Kuwait to get a tune out of this squad.  

If he can't it's his fault, not the Lemmies.  They're blameless in this.  They're the ones who've dug deep this window and spent that 100% better budget as promised.  We have that many options on the wing, Hooters would be proud.

28 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

There's just no debate to be had on the ridiculous, random nature of recruitment. If we happen to get any relative success it's despite it rather than because of it. 

Im sure the feeling is mutual but knowing you Dave, I’m pretty disappointed that’s your outlook. But you’re entitled to it. 

Whats ridiculous and random about the signings of Woods, Wheater, Egert, Mills, Wilson, Smith and Morais? I’ll grant you that there are others that are linked to the owners network. That was always going to be the provisio under this ownership. Some will work, some won’t. Sylla, Fage, Nepu, Missilou, Maouche etc. For each one that works, there will be one that doesn’t. No different to the past 20+ years but it seems that if you’ve not been signed from overseas ala a Coke, an Ngoo, etc, then that’s not as bad as if they are. I’m not down with that sort of thing. 

12 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Im sure the feeling is mutual but knowing you Dave, I’m pretty disappointed that’s your outlook. But you’re entitled to it. 

Whats ridiculous and random about the signings of Woods, Wheater, Egert, Mills, Wilson, Smith and Morais? I’ll grant you that there are others that are linked to the owners network. That was always going to be the provisio under this ownership. Some will work, some won’t. Sylla, Fage, Nepu, Missilou, Maouche etc. For each one that works, there will be one that doesn’t. No different to the past 20+ years but it seems that if you’ve not been signed from overseas ala a Coke, an Ngoo, etc, then that’s not as bad as if they are. I’m not down with that sort of thing. 

Egert, who knows. Very limited evidence. 

Mills, we had Haner and Hunt, couldn't be a priority. 

Wilson reputed to be decent in a 442 which we don't play. 

Smith, Morais. No idea why we need two more in those positions. 

12 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Reasonable signings for this level yesterday, but questionable whether they improve the first 11 IMO, and the first 11 hasn't been good enough. If Egert comes good that's a plus but otherwise we've got something like 27 average or worse players going for 6 places, I think you're highly optimistic to see us going up the league 

Archived