Maouche signs 1 year extension

14 hours ago, BP1960 said:

We want all players to play consistently well.

6 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

But life's not like that

13 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Likely in the Prem, but not at our level.

Not even in the Premier League. 

Players are often substituted for having a poor game. Also, many key players, let’s take Pogba as an example, seem to perform when it suits them.

I think that the most we can hope for at our level is that players consistently put in the effort and play well for the majority of games. For me it’s all about getting the basics right. Positional play, passing, movement, closing down, tackling, shooting etc. Something for a coach to then build on.

Post lockdown we we have seen some poor play as players ease themselves back. The technical footballers seem to be doing far better than the rest. Brentford in particular have hit the ground running in the Championship and the Manchesters City and United as well as Liverpool look good in the Premier League.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

There's genuinely zero argument for him being worth the wage he's on. Anyone who would give him another deal or anywhere near comparable terms need to give their head a wobble. 

And as far as I am aware absolutely nobody has ever suggested that. 🙄

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Is he capable on his day - yes. 

Does he currently give you value in your budget- no. 

I think they’ll be plenty of his ilk (a squad flair player) knocking about over the summer, who crucially will be miles better value for money. 

Whatever MM was allegedly being paid when he first signed, I imagine he took a drop in wages when he signed his extension this time last year. If he was to sign a further extension it would probably be on a similar, or more likely reduced, amount. On that hat basis I would welcome him back.

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Whatever MM was allegedly being paid when he first signed, I imagine he took a drop in wages when he signed his extension this time last year. If he was to sign a further extension it would probably be on a similar, or more likely reduced, amount. On that hat basis I would welcome him back.

I wouldn’t be averse to him staying on a reduced wage, but the fact we’re even saying that says a lot about him. Can we afford squad flair players in our squad next season?  I’d rather see what the market is like first, we might be pleasantly surprised who is available when wage demands inevitably come down. 

I'd be averse to him staying as I think he's a bad apple whose epitomised what the club has become in recent seasons, as for the flair he is alleged to have aplenty I really haven't seen that, got to be one of the most overrated waste of money players we've ever had and the fact he captained us is laughable. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I'd be averse to him staying as I think he's a bad apple whose epitomised what the club has become in recent seasons, as for the flair he is alleged to have aplenty I really haven't seen that, got to be one of the most overrated waste of money players we've ever had and the fact he captained us is laughable. 

Some of you may not know it but I am a huge fan of MM. 😉 so suffice to say, I don’t agree with everything you write ..

A ‘bad apple’? Not having that. Here’s an extract from an interview he gave in February:

“Mohamed Maouche has praised Oldham boss Dino Maamria for his and the team's upturn in fortunes.

The 27-year-old came off the bench to replace the injured Zak Dearnley just after the half hour to score the third goal in Latics' emphatic 3-0 win over Bradford at Boundary Park on Saturday.

Maouche says Maamria has brought the squad together during his time in charge and has shown faith in him personally, which is making a real difference.

"I have quite a big responsibility when I'm on the pitch, I never try to hide myself I always go onto the ball and try to play, try to create chances for my teammates, so he knows that and he's pushing me, so it can only help my development," said the Frenchman.

"We know we've been in quite tough moments during this season, so that's why we've won the last two games because we wanted to improve but we've got to keep our feet on the ground, stay calm and go back to work and focus on the next game.”

Sound like a bad apple to you? 

As for you not really having seen ‘the flair he allegedly has aplenty’  - wow 😮 

I agree however that he is not captain material on the pitch. 

All in all, we have our opinions on which players are good and which players we like. My opinion is that Maouche is an extremely talented individual who has not delivered consistent performances in his time at the club. I have said on numerous occasions that I believe he comes in for a disproportionate amount of criticism - and that will not change. 

Bad apple who I've been told by ex players wanted Clarke out of the way so he could pursue his ambition of becoming captain of the club, that went well - personally we got rid of the wrong one and a 40 year old Clarke would offer more to the 'team' than that man ever has.

45 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Bad apple who I've been told by ex players wanted Clarke out of the way so he could pursue his ambition of becoming captain of the club, that went well - personally we got rid of the wrong one and a 40 year old Clarke would offer more to the 'team' than that man ever has.

Yes but all that flair though!

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Flair that's taken us to the bottom of the football league and still sinking.

And even then he can't hold down a regular starting spot in that team. 

Still his contract is up so all that flair should have him inundated with offers.

So, how about you name these ‘ex players’?  

56 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Because of course MM is solely responsible for our current predicament. You are simply proving my earlier point that ‘he comes in for a disproportionate amount of criticism - and that will not change’. 😮

17 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

And still he gets blamed for our current predicament. You couldn’t make it up.

Well according to you he's an "extremely talented individual" yet he can't hold place in the worst side in 50 years you're idea of extremely talented individual and mine are a long way apart.

59 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Because of course MM is solely responsible for our current predicament. You are simply proving my earlier point that ‘he comes in for a disproportionate amount of criticism - and that will not change’. 😮

I hold him partly responsible seeing as last summer a team was broke up then built around the prodigal son which predictably failed, flair isnt a word I'd associate with any of this current set up, in 40 odd years I've never seen such a flair less and talentless group of players, other than Jonny Smith (whose gone) the rest are very poor.

I hold him partly responsible seeing as last summer a team was broke up then built around the prodigal son which predictably failed, flair isnt a word I'd associate with any of this current set up, in 40 odd years I've never seen such a flair less and talentless group of players, other than Jonny Smith (whose gone) the rest are very poor.

That's L2 footballers for you.

On 7/4/2020 at 2:05 PM, yarddog73 said:

All what flair? 

Where's this consensus of opinion that he's a "flair player" come from? 

Jack Byrne, Baxter first time, Daniel Johnson, Harkins, Morais first time, Winchester in recent seasons were moreso flair players than Maouche.

Wellens, Eyres, Shez, Kilkenny, Chris Taylor first time before that.

I'd say Branger has a bit more flair than Maouche.

Archived