Good morning Ladies & Gents,

The 2019/20 Football League season kicks off 4 weeks tomorrow, where we make the unenviable trip to the salubrious New Lawn.

For those of you who've;

• Participated before but, for whatever reason, elected not to continue,
  • Have watched from afar and are curious about what OWTB Prediction League is,
  • Are new/infrequent visitors to OWTB and haven't paid it much attention before,

....please revisit this thread in the run up to August 3rd, where I will explain;

• How it works/What's new,
  • Who benefits,
  • Why you should consider joining in,

In our last and first visit to Forest Green, the correct Prediction that day would've been;

Forest Green Rovers 1 Latics 1 [HT 1-0]

First Latics Scorer: Dan Gardner

Attendance: 2,759 (844 away)

• Like 2

Come on, boys and girls, let's see if we can have more players than last season and raise even more dosh for the Roy Castle cancer charity. And help OWTB funds along the way.

• Like 1

So, our first home game of the forthcoming season sees us take on Crewe (H), on 10th Aug.

We've played them 78 times boasting 41 wins and 18 losses. At home our record is even more impressive; 23 wins, 11 draws and only 7 defeats. It took Crewe 12 attempts to register a win at BP, 0-2 on a Tues in April [I bet it was still freezing] in 1950/51.

In recent times however, Crewe have had the better of this fixture, their last 5 visits [dating back to 2012/13] to BP have seen them win twice, draw twice, with us only winning the once.

The last time we beat them at home in the 4th division, was the season we got promoted 1970/71, I'm unable to complete the correct prediction that day, although I expect some folk might be able to help?

31st October 1970;

Latics 5 Crewe 3 [HT ?-?]

First Latics Scorer: ?

Attendance: 8,135

Instead, here is a complete correct prediction of an eventful game in 2003, that saw Fitz Hall sent off and Rob Hulse & Dean Ashton on the scoresheet for Crewe;

25th January 2003;

Latics 1 Crewe 3 [HT 0-0]

First Latics Scorer: Chris Armstrong

Attendance: 7,597

What do you Predict will be the outcome against Crewe on 10th August?

Visit the OWTB Prediction League Forum where you will find a description of the rules;

http://www.owtb.co.uk/forum/78-owtb-prediction-league/

All you have to do is pay the £5 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread;

....afterwhich, a thread will appear for you to place your Prediction, no later than 10 minutes before KO on Saturday 3th August.

Please keep revisiting this thread over the coming weeks, where I will explain more about;

• Who benefits,
  • Why you should consider joining in.
  • Like 1

In my quest to find footage of games to use for Marketing purposes, I stumbled across this - which I'd never seen before - itv season review of 1982/83, which had a couple of Latics games in it.

Anyway, whilst not really relevant to our opponents this coming season, thought I'd share it anyway.

If you wind on to 07:25 to 09:05, you'll find a fixture against Wolves in November '82. Correct Prediction on this day would've been, including a Rodger Wylde hat trick;

13th November 1982;

Latics 4 Wolves 1 [HT 1-0]

First Latics Scorer: John Ryan

Attendance: 7,962

We love a 4-1 home win against Wolves don't we. We did it in 1982, 1990 & 1994.

If you wind on to 25:50 to 27.03, you find a fixture against Leicester in May '83, where I think Leicester got promoted. Correct Prediction on this day would've been;

7th May 1983;

Latics 1 Leicester 2 [HT 0-1]

First Latics Scorer: Roger Palmer

Attendance: 9,088

Edited by lookersstandandy

There wasn't anybody in League Two last season who averaged over 10,000 at home..... but that might change with Bradford and Plymouth coming down.

Here is a game against Plymouth from Easter Monday 1991. Correct Prediction on this day would've been;

1st April 1991;

Plymouth 1 Latics 2 [HT 0-1]

First Latics Scorer: Andy Ritchie

Attendance: 8.852

Fancy joining in? Visit the OWTB Prediction League Forum where you will find a description of the rules;

All you have to do is pay the £5 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread;

....afterwhich, a thread will appear for you to place your Prediction, no later than 10 minutes before KO on Saturday 3th August.

Please keep revisiting this thread over the coming weeks, where I will explain more about;

• Who benefits,
  • Like 1

I’m setting alarms and leaving notes dotted around this season. I reckon l could be good at this even with my overpositivity, jus need to remember to play that’s all 🙄

😂

l’ll remember quite a bit more as it’s my second season and l’m not overly used to losing when it comes to gambling so that will help keep me sharp, l think!!

Here's a brace from Chris Porter in a game against Bradford from 2006. Correct Prediction;

18th November 2006

Latics 2 Bradford 0 [HT 0-0]

First Latics Scorer: Chris Porter

Attendance: 6,001

Fancy joining in? Visit the OWTB Prediction League Forum where you will find a description of the rules;

• Who benefits,

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

I’m setting alarms and leaving notes dotted around this season. I reckon l could be good at this even with my overpositivity, jus need to remember to play that’s all 🙄

Same

So, we're now a little under 3 weeks away from the first game and your first Prediction. You might be wanting to know 'How it works' from there....?

Points are scored accordingly;

Correct result (i.e. W,L or D) +2pts
Correct no. of goals for Latics +1pt;
Correct no. of goals for opposition +1pt;
Correct full-time score +2pts;
Correct half-time score +2pts;
First scorer +3pts;
Within 100 of attendance +3pts;
Within 10 of attendance +5pts;
Exact attendance +20pts;

The maximum number of points you could therefore score on a individual game would be 31. Unsurprisingly, short of foul play @24hoursfromtulsehill this has never happened.

In the season just complete, the top score/Prediction for any game was made by @youngen who amassed 22 for this effort against MK Dons (a) when the correct Prediction would've [sadly] been;

MK Dons 2 Latics 1 [HT 1-1]

First Latics Scorer: Tom Hamer

Attendance: 5,950

Another notable effort was from @maximus1267 for his 13 pointer against Crawley (h) when the correct Prediction would've been;

Latics 2 Crawley Town 1 [HT 1-1]

First Latics Scorer: Gevaro Nepomuceno

Attendance: 4,160

Reckon you could do better? All you've got to do is; Pay the £5 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread; 

Keep popping back into this thread as I explain more about how it works and what's new.

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Whatever happened to Playershare? don't say it was spent on Vera. 😖

Not been spent for years has it?

Didn’t know where to put this.... so seeing as I’ve been posting old footage of games in this thread for Prediction purposes....  seems as good a place as any (we don’t predict cup game though). I can remember ever goal from this footage as I had it on VHS and watched it over and over again as a boy. Enjoy.