Good morning Ladies & Gents,

The 2019/20 Football League season kicks off 4 weeks tomorrow, where we make the unenviable trip to the salubrious New Lawn.

For those of you who've;

• Participated before but, for whatever reason, elected not to continue,
  • Have watched from afar and are curious about what OWTB Prediction League is,
  • Are new/infrequent visitors to OWTB and haven't paid it much attention before,

....please revisit this thread in the run up to August 3rd, where I will explain;

• How it works/What's new,
  • Who benefits,
  • Why you should consider joining in,

In our last and first visit to Forest Green, the correct Prediction that day would've been;

Forest Green Rovers 1 Latics 1 [HT 1-0]

First Latics Scorer: Dan Gardner

Attendance: 2,759 (844 away)

• Like 2

So, our first home game of the forthcoming season sees us take on Crewe (H), on 10th Aug.

We've played them 78 times boasting 41 wins and 18 losses. At home our record is even more impressive; 23 wins, 11 draws and only 7 defeats. It took Crewe 12 attempts to register a win at BP, 0-2 on a Tues in April [I bet it was still freezing] in 1950/51.

In recent times however, Crewe have had the better of this fixture, their last 5 visits [dating back to 2012/13] to BP have seen them win twice, draw twice, with us only winning the once.

The last time we beat them at home in the 4th division, was the season we got promoted 1970/71, I'm unable to complete the correct prediction that day, although I expect some folk might be able to help?

31st October 1970;

Latics 5 Crewe 3 [HT ?-?]

First Latics Scorer: ?

Attendance: 8,135

Instead, here is a complete correct prediction of an eventful game in 2003, that saw Fitz Hall sent off and Rob Hulse & Dean Ashton on the scoresheet for Crewe;

25th January 2003;

Latics 1 Crewe 3 [HT 0-0]

First Latics Scorer: Chris Armstrong

Attendance: 7,597

What do you Predict will be the outcome against Crewe on 10th August?

Visit the OWTB Prediction League Forum where you will find a description of the rules;

http://www.owtb.co.uk/forum/78-owtb-prediction-league/

All you have to do is pay the £5 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread;

....afterwhich, a thread will appear for you to place your Prediction, no later than 10 minutes before KO on Saturday 3th August.

Please keep revisiting this thread over the coming weeks, where I will explain more about;

• Who benefits,
  • Why you should consider joining in.
  • Like 1

In my quest to find footage of games to use for Marketing purposes, I stumbled across this - which I'd never seen before - itv season review of 1982/83, which had a couple of Latics games in it.

Anyway, whilst not really relevant to our opponents this coming season, thought I'd share it anyway.

If you wind on to 07:25 to 09:05, you'll find a fixture against Wolves in November '82. Correct Prediction on this day would've been, including a Rodger Wylde hat trick;

13th November 1982;

Latics 4 Wolves 1 [HT 1-0]

First Latics Scorer: John Ryan

Attendance: 7,962

We love a 4-1 home win against Wolves don't we. We did it in 1982, 1990 & 1994.

If you wind on to 25:50 to 27.03, you find a fixture against Leicester in May '83, where I think Leicester got promoted. Correct Prediction on this day would've been;

7th May 1983;

Latics 1 Leicester 2 [HT 0-1]

First Latics Scorer: Roger Palmer

Attendance: 9,088

Edited by lookersstandandy

There wasn't anybody in League Two last season who averaged over 10,000 at home..... but that might change with Bradford and Plymouth coming down.

Here is a game against Plymouth from Easter Monday 1991. Correct Prediction on this day would've been;

1st April 1991;

Plymouth 1 Latics 2 [HT 0-1]

First Latics Scorer: Andy Ritchie

Attendance: 8.852

Fancy joining in? Visit the OWTB Prediction League Forum where you will find a description of the rules;

All you have to do is pay the £5 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread;

....afterwhich, a thread will appear for you to place your Prediction, no later than 10 minutes before KO on Saturday 3th August.

Please keep revisiting this thread over the coming weeks, where I will explain more about;

• Who benefits,
  • Like 1

Here's a brace from Chris Porter in a game against Bradford from 2006. Correct Prediction;

18th November 2006

Latics 2 Bradford 0 [HT 0-0]

First Latics Scorer: Chris Porter

Attendance: 6,001

Fancy joining in? Visit the OWTB Prediction League Forum where you will find a description of the rules;

• Who benefits,

So, we're now a little under 3 weeks away from the first game and your first Prediction. You might be wanting to know 'How it works' from there....?

Points are scored accordingly;

Correct result (i.e. W,L or D) +2pts
Correct no. of goals for Latics +1pt;
Correct no. of goals for opposition +1pt;
Correct full-time score +2pts;
Correct half-time score +2pts;
First scorer +3pts;
Within 100 of attendance +3pts;
Within 10 of attendance +5pts;
Exact attendance +20pts;

The maximum number of points you could therefore score on a individual game would be 31. Unsurprisingly, short of foul play @24hoursfromtulsehill this has never happened.

In the season just complete, the top score/Prediction for any game was made by @youngen who amassed 22 for this effort against MK Dons (a) when the correct Prediction would've [sadly] been;

MK Dons 2 Latics 1 [HT 1-1]

First Latics Scorer: Tom Hamer

Attendance: 5,950

Another notable effort was from @maximus1267 for his 13 pointer against Crawley (h) when the correct Prediction would've been;

Latics 2 Crawley Town 1 [HT 1-1]

First Latics Scorer: Gevaro Nepomuceno

Attendance: 4,160

Reckon you could do better? All you've got to do is; Pay the £5 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread; 

Keep popping back into this thread as I explain more about how it works and what's new.

Didn’t know where to put this.... so seeing as I’ve been posting old footage of games in this thread for Prediction purposes....  seems as good a place as any (we don’t predict cup games though). I can remember every goal from this footage as I had it on VHS and watched it over and over again as a boy. Enjoy.

So, now we've covered how to Predict and how points are scored, one hopes it's clear how the tables are formed? Below are the final 2018/19 League tables, which consisted of a Premier League, Championship & League One.

• @Ex_pat was the victorious Premier League champion for a record breaking 3rd time [14/15, 15/16, 18/19] by correctly Predicting the outcome of 25 games during the season, more than anyone else.
  • @south east latic was the king of HT. 18 correct Predictions.
  • To accompany his Championship title, @Benja impressively predicted the exact score on 9 occasions, exact number of Latics' goals 17 times [tied with @aidan_latics], but was beaten to exact Opposition goals by @pjkent who got it right 22 times.
  • Four different predictors managed to correctly predict the outcome of Latics' first goalscorer on 9 occasions, they were bitter rivals @milnrow latics & @LaticsPete,  @Monty Burns and @rosa, alas it couldn't save the latter from relegation.
  • The King of attendance was @youngen who amassed 52 points including an exact prediction for game against MK Dons, as detailed above, helping to propel him into the Premier League for the first time this coming season.

For the forthcoming 2019/20 season - subject to Predictor numbers - could see 4 leagues and the introduction of League Two, meaning any new Predictors would be attempting to achieve exactly the same as our beloved club.

qmW5teo.jpg?1

XQsYVHc.jpg?1

CtLMnJn.jpg?1

zOmYBB6.jpg?1

Fancy it? All you've got to do is; Pay the £5 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread; 

Keep popping back into this thread as I explain more about how it works and what's new.

• Like 3

There are some OWTB personalities missing from the Prediction League participants list from over the years, it would enhance the competition & be great to have some of the following involved;

@alwaysblue, @archiecat, @boundaryblue80, @ChaddySmoker, @Clifford, @Crusoe, @deyres42, @Gaz_Oafc@Hands on@kowenicki, @kowenicki'smoustache, @Lags, @latics22, @League one forever, @Londonboy, @mikejh45, @OAFCMIKE@oafcshuck, @OLDHAMADE, @PlayItLivo@Ritchierich, @sjk2008, @the_mighty_bosh@unsworth blue, @unsworthlatic, @UsedtobeWozzer, @wiseowl, @Worcester Owl

Please take a read of this thread / Keep popping back in as I explain more about how it works and what's new.

What happens to the money raised from your £5 entrance fee you might ask.

Firstly, in memory of Dave Stringer aka @opinions4u, a respected OWTB member/contributor and whom the Latics Forum is on OWTB is affectionately named after, 50% of the money raised will be donated to his chosen charity, The Roy Castle Lung Cancer  Charity: https://www.roycastle.org/

Secondly, OWTB is run/managed by volunteers and is an independent / free fans forum that (if you're reading this) I assume - like me - you value. 50% of the money raised from Prediction League will be donated to OWTB running costs;

Good causes? All you've got to do is; Pay the £5 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread; 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

I’ll have a crack at it 

• Like 3

2 weeks tomorrow and we KO the 2019-20 Prediction League season.

Today, I thought we'd begin having a look at the OWTB Cup. Think of it as the FA Cup of Prediction League.

2018-19 witnessed a record 57 Predictors sign up, so the format of the early round(s) was a group stage. A bit like the World Cup, but with no seeding. All divisions mixed up by chance in a draw that is taped and broadcast on OWTB to ensure no foul play. More on that later.

OWTB Cup games begin in January and end in May and coincide with standard League games, the schedule of which @Stevie_J will inform us of in good time. Potential replay weeks - for later knockout rounds - are also accounted for, such is the excellent administration.

This means that while Predicting for standard League points, you will be competing against 1 other Predictor in the OWTB Cup at the same time during these weeks. It makes for interesting tactics & mind games, something we'll look at next week.

During 2018-19, the following games counted as OWTB Cup group stage games;

Date - Opponent - Correct Prediction

9/2 Crawley (a) - 0-3 [0-0] Branger 2,058

12/2 Yeovil (h) - 4-1 [1-0] Baxter 3,868

16/2 Crewe (h) - 1-1 [1-0] Lang 5,288

Following all group games, the tables stood as per below, with  the top 2 in each group, plus the 2 best 3rd place finishers progressing to the 2nd round, or Round of 16.

image.png

You can't deny it's well run can you? Come on, get yourself signed up. It's well worth it.

All you've got to do is; Pay the £5 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread;