Before I complete the '18/19 OWTB Cup story, it won't have gone unnoticed that the site was down for a period on Friday and Saturday. The mods/folk who run this site for the benefit of us all, do so for the love of it & for free / have to dip into their own pockets from time to time to keep it running and free for us all to use. For a mere fiver, you can join Prediction League and at the same time contribute to the running costs of OWTB.

As well as those I've tagged into posts above, it would be great to see some more of those who frequent the site joining to make Prediction League even more of a success;

@aaronoafc, @adamoafc, @alien, @Andy b, @andy_b_100, @andyhigginsoafc, @Andyt84, @another fan, @b0ndl1ne@bazerx, @Bearwood Latic, @BenRad, @BFPhil, @Blue_Guru, @boshell4eng, @boyinthesnow, @bozman, @bozzy108@brian porter, @Careca9, @ceskylatic, @Chaddy14, @Chaddyender2, @chaddylad, @cheshireblue, @ChrisA, @chrismcgarry, @cornishblue@cplatics, @Daboke, @Damian_Thorn, @danny.oafc24, @Dave1978, @dazzman07, @ddot_m, @dec666, @dkay570, @Dlibertine@drphibes, @drw1909, @flashlatic, @fleetwood Blue, @Frankies6, @Fyldelatic, @Gawbie@Greenfield Latic, @gulliver, @hinchy@hollandspies@Howey_OAFC, @Hubster35@ish, @jbroyton, @JED@Jimbooth, @JohnG123, @jondriver, @JTM @keepthefaith1, @kentlats, @kev1969, @LaticMark, @Latics_Al, @latics456, @latics59, @laticsmarra, @laticsrblue, @Lees Latics, @liverpool latic, @losesome, @Lukers1, @mackin89, @madlatic, @markgaston@MancLatic, @Markspark92@marviniho, @Maurice Maurice, @mickoafc, @MikeF@mossleyblue@nava, @ncookie9, @nick1979@ndf, @NJ33@nudgerblue, @oafc_matt, @oafc1000, @oafc1955, @OAFC1984, @oafc21, @Oafc88, @oafcforever@OAFCKeepTheFaith@oldchaddyender, @Oldham82, @parigby, @pcassist, @pdw76@perfectOzblue, @petera1@philwhite, @Pietastic, @pinchme, @Ricardo@robboman, @RoytonLatics, @rvlatic, @samgoafc, @simon222, @Simpo, @Slash@Sourdust, @Steve_R, @steveecky@squeefoldham@stewrat, @stott182, @sunshine185, @super_blue, @TamarBridgeLatic, @tGWB, @The Blue Alb, @Theoutsider, @True Tic, @TwentySixBlack, @Twisbrogan@welshgaz, @watty123@Witty@Whitts@wogghead1

All you've got to do is; Pay the £5 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread; 

Then keep popping back into this thread prior to a week on Saturday so you know what do and how it all works.

Edited by lookersstandandy
  • Like 1

If we're yet to convince you to sign up, today I'm going to go straight for the heart strings, with the adorable OWTB Cup draw. Made by @Stevie_J & the Little_J's from Scottish Borders Gate before each and every round;

The 2018/19 OWTB Cup was won by @mick26, who defeated Prediction League stalwart @DavidCollinge in a close contest.

@mick26's route to the Final witnessed some stupendous Predicting up to the Q/F.

2nd round [round of 32] 2/3 Stevenage (h)

@mick26 4-0 @aidan_latics

Correct Prediction;

Latics 1 Stevenage 1 [0-1]

First Scorer: Jose Baxter

Attendance: 3,807

3rd round [round of 16] 2/4 Tranmere (h)

@mick26 5-0 @disjointed

Correct Prediction;

Latics 2 Tranmere 0 [HT 1-0]

First Scorer: Callum Lang

Attendance: 5,143

Quarter Final 6/4 Colchester (a)

@mick26 6-0 @south east latic 

Correct Prediction;

Colchester 0 Latics 2 [HT 0-2]

First Scorer: Alex Iacovitti

Attendance: 3,975

Semi Final 22/4 Mansfield (h)

@mick26 2-0 @youngen 

Correct Prediction;

Latics 3 Mansfield 2 [HT 1-0]

First Scorer: Gevaro Nepomuceno

Attendance: 6,179

Final 4/5 Northampton (h)

@mick26 1-0 @DavidCollinge

Correct Prediction;

Latics 2 Northampton 5 [HT 1-3]

First Scorer: Johan Branger-Engone

Attendance: 5,291

Under 2 weeks to the season kicking off now. Don't miss out, get yourself signed up. Pay the £5 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread; 

• Like 4

For the remainder of this week, we'll take a look at tactics & mind games.

What sort of Predictor will you be? Can you be objective, or do Royal Blue tinted glasses cloud your judgement?

In the most recent campaign, Latics registered 16W, 14D and 16L, amassing 62 points.

W = Win, D = Draw, L = Loss, X = Null/Void, P = Pts equivalent.

The predictor(s) who most closely predicted our team's fortunes, were;

@disjointed 15W, 20D, 9L, 1X = 65P. @disjointed finished 4th in the Premier League.

@Brisbaneblue 17W, 11D, 8L, 10X = 62P. @Brisbaneblue 17th in League One.

@Nohairdontcare 15W, 15D, 15L, 1X = 60P. @Nohairdontcare 6th in League One and promoted to the Championship via the Play Offs.

The predictors with the most positive disposition were;

@L1onheartNew 44W, 0D, 0L, 2X = 132P. @L1onheartNew finished 13th in League One.

@mick26 39W, 2D, 3L, 2X = 119P. @mick26 finished 5th in League One, missed out on Promotion in the Play Offs, but won the OWTB Prediction League Cup.

@maximus1267 39W, 1D, 4L, 2X = 118P. @maximus1267 finished 8th in League One.

The most negative predictors amongst us were;

@Oafc1895 9W, 16D, 18L, 3X = 43P. @Oafc1895 finished 12th in the Championship.

@dannyboy55555 12W, 6D, 21L, 7X = 42P. @dannyboy55555 finished 10th in League One.

@JoeP 4W, 12D, 29L, 1X = 24P. @JoeP finished 14th in the Premier League.

Finally, @BP1960 employed what is affectionately known as @disjointed's rule, by predicting a 1-1 draw, 0-0 at HT on 43 occasions, with 3 null/void predictions. It didn't work though, @BP1960 finished 7th in the Championship missing out on the Play Offs.

It's not quite as straight forward as meets the eye is it?

Sign up now to show how good you are at Predicting. Pay the £5 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the signed up Predictor List below;

• Like 2

So, what do you do when you've signed up?

@Stevie_J will create a thread, within the Prediction League Forum for each game. As soon as he does, you are free to place your Prediction in there at anytime, up until - but no later than - 10 mins before KO.

Here's last season's thread for Bury (h), a game that was played on 15th Dec

Where;

• 26 Predictions were made in advance of the game, with....
  • 10 Predictors employing the Late Amendment.
  • 25 were made on the day.
  • 6 Predictors forgot.

What will you do? Go early, or wait to see the form, what the weather looks like, who's on the Teamsheet, or even how many away fans look to be in the Chaddy End, before making your Prediction?

For those thinking of employing the Late Amendment you might not want to be relying on a decent 4G signal somewhere around Stroud/Nailsworth!?!

For reminders, prompts, news and updates, please follow the OWTB Prediction League twitter account;

What you waiting for? Sign up now. Pay the £5 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the signed up Predictor List below;

• Like 1

For those who've played Prediction League before, but for whatever reason have lapsed, can we tempt some of you back? Now only £5 to enter with an official OWTB Prediction League Twitter account to follow.

@24hoursfromtulsehill, @ajw65, @Andy-latic, @BJBlue, @Carl Waters, @chickenbaltipie, @Craig D, @dave_ragg1984, @John Platt, @JoshOWTB, @laticdickovarmy, @Laticsbiffo, @LaticsChris, @LightDN123, @LT_SMASH, @MAC0AFC, @mikebOAFC, @NewBlue, @pk200, @RobOAFC, @Scapegoat, @Stainrod, @steveoafc, @underdog, @warwickshire latics

• Like 1

In the Final edition of tactics & mind games, I thought we'd have a look at what happens when you're in direct competition with another Predictor, either in the OWTB Cup, in the Play Offs, or battling for position in the league.

• If you decide to go with an Early Prediction, what's stopping your competitor seeing your Prediction and hedging their bets? If you therefore decide to go with a Late Prediction, what happens if you fail to get your Prediction in on time?

Here's @jorvik_latic trying the late amendment once he'd seen the crowd.....

...unfortunately....

Sadly for @jorvik_latic even when he went early and didn't amend, because of the summer break had completely forgotten that football games have a HT, when predicting the opening game of last season;

• For the less experienced Predictor, do be on the look out for the more unscrupulous amongst us, who will place a Dummy Prediction, complete with the intention of employing the Late Amendment. Especially in Cup Group games where your opponent might only need a draw to progress!
  • FYI, the 2nd leg of Play Off games, sees Predictions made via PM to admin to ensure no foul play.

For reminders, prompts, news and updates, please follow the OWTB Prediction League twitter account;

What you waiting for? Sign up now. Pay the £5 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the signed up Predictor List below;

• Like 1

So, this time next week, will be new Prediction League season eve....

For those yet to renew, you have until 10 mins prior to KO to pay your entrance fee and submit your Prediction.

For the small number of Predictors who didn't complete the season, please following the OWTB Prediction League twitter account as we are going to ramp up reminders,  prompts, news and updates this season;

Yet to preserve their;

Premier League status: @a259, @astottie@disjointed, @jorvik_latic, @rudemedic@SAV

Championship status: @BP1960@GravityGrave@HarryBosch, @JohnnyPimp@Latics_Fanatic, Lawman, @Oafc1895, @pjkent@Runningman@yarddog73 & [TBC] @Stevie_J@GlossopLatic

League One status: @Ak's11, @al_bro, @Brisbaneblue@daniel, @dannyboy55555@josh_latics, @Kusunga_Is_God@Latics and England, @Lee Sinnott@leeslover, @L1onheartNew@Macca, @maddog, @mcfluff1985@Monty Burns, @oafcprozac@Ryan

•  

• Like 1

Only 25 signed up so far (as of last night). Come on, boys 'n' girls, surely we can at least double that. The money raised will go to such good and worthy causes (and it will stop Admin asking for money for a while :lol:) Consider this; 50 players signed up = £250 = £125 to The Roy Castle Fund and £125 to OWTB. It's only a small amount in the greater scheme of things but, as is often said, every penny counts. Let's see if we can get those numbers up.

• Like 1

I don't come on this forum too often but I just noticed on twitter this predictor league is raising money for Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation in honour of my dad. Thanks so much to all involved in this - I've signed myself up for the first time 👍

Chris (aka o4u junior)

• Like 7

23 hours ago, oafcmad09 said:

I don't come on this forum too often but I just noticed on twitter this predictor league is raising money for Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation in honour of my dad. Thanks so much to all involved in this - I've signed myself up for the first time 👍

Chris (aka o4u junior)

Thanks Chris.

£142.50 was raised for the Foundation through sign-ups for last season’s competition. It would be great to beat that this time around. 

Chris, I don’t seem to have received anything from you. Let me know if I can do anything to help. Cheers. 

58 minutes ago, Latics and England said:

I DM'd you yesterday Steve but didn't get a reply. Am I ok to transfer the cash to the same bank account as last year? Cheers

Strange. Your PM doesn’t seem to have come through. Yes, same bank details are fine. Cheers!

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2019 at 10:50 AM, Stevie_J said:

Thanks Chris.

£142.50 was raised for the Foundation through sign-ups for last season’s competition. It would be great to beat that this time around. 

Chris, I don’t seem to have received anything from you. Let me know if I can do anything to help. Cheers. 

Apologies, I thought I'd sent it but there's no record on my PayPal..I'm on it now!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

£5 sent.

I am new to this, so someone please explain how this works and how points etc are calculated.

Cheers.

31 minutes ago, disjointed said:

You will regret asking that, LSA will fucking bombard you now. 

Ignore him. Its very simple.....

You make a Prediction like this:

Here is the thread for Saturday's game v FGR (a):

Points are scored like this;

Correct result (i.e. W,L or D) +2pts
Correct no. of goals for Latics +1pt;
Correct no. of goals for opposition +1pt;
Correct full-time score +2pts;
Correct half-time score +2pts;
First scorer +3pts;
Within 100 of attendance +3pts;
Within 10 of attendance +5pts;
Exact attendance +20pts;

League tables are updated each week and look like this:

CtLMnJn.jpg?1

There is then the Cup Draw to look out for in January, which looks like this;

Easy isn't it?

Pay the £5 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the signed up Predictor List below;

...and raise money for @opinions4u's charity and contribute to the running cost of this valued community that we all frequent.

What's not to like? Join Now and follow the OWTB Prediction League Twitter account for reminders, updates, news, League tables and Cup draws.

• Like 1