Pitch update

8 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Players hate them, they cause and exacerbate injuries. Might be good for footie but fuckin shite for a real sport like Football.

It was a nod to the past but I guess you were still a glint in your father's eye back then

Might I remind everyone that despite the hard work and commitment of the ground staff the most important influence on the state of the pitch is the weather,  Putting the covers on always makes a mess of it.  Rain doesn't help but fortunately this year January was unusually dry.

I don't think it's the rain (unless we play on it when it chucks it down and the turf gets ripped up). It's when the temperature stays below zero and the covers are left on for days that ruins the pitch. Last winter was fairly mild compared with the 17/18 season.

19 hours ago, Hands on said:

Might I remind everyone that despite the hard work and commitment of the ground staff the most important influence on the state of the pitch is the weather,  Putting the covers on always makes a mess of it.  Rain doesn't help but fortunately this year January was unusually dry.

Are there covers which can be hired which prevent heavy rain and snow on the pitch if forecast, but let warm air circulate underneath to prevent later damage?

34 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Are there covers which can be hired which prevent heavy rain and snow on the pitch if forecast, but let warm air circulate underneath to prevent later damage?

Tell em all about when Oldham had proper winter's, snow piled up against the door, a time when you had to dig yourself out.

Nowt but a dusting these days :OASISscarf:

20 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

Tell em all about when Oldham had proper winter's, snow piled up against the door, a time when you had to dig yourself out.

Nowt but a dusting these days :OASISscarf:

And they still played as in the 11-0 win in the 1960s

I was there.

34 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Removed when the Plastic was laid? We're we one of the 1st? We're we one of the 1st to install floodlights too? Or am I making both these things up?

One thing you are making up is we're instead of where ?

But yes I believe your assumptions are correct. 😊

3 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Removed when the Plastic was laid? Were we one of the 1st? Were we one of the 1st to install floodlights too? Or am I making both these things up?

Not floodlights Andy. In fact we were the last League club in Lancashire to install them.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Not floodlights Andy. In fact we were the last League club in Lancashire to install them.

Played Burnley in a friendly for the floodlights opening,  lost 6-0 I think, seem to remember it was a big crowd. 

2 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Played Burnley in a friendly for the floodlights opening,  lost 6-0 I think, seem to remember it was a big crowd. 

58 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm sure I've read somewhere we kicked off a little earlier in the winter months because we didn't have floodlights, could of just made that up though :D

Did we also have a go at Friday night [as opposed to Sat 3pm] games, once the floodlights were installed, to see if we could convince glory hunting [Yoonited & Citeh fans] Oldhamer's to turn up / increase the gates? Stockport and Tranmere did the same I believe....?

Edited by lookersstandandy

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm sure I've read somewhere we kicked off a little earlier in the winter months because we didn't have floodlights, could of just made that up though :D

No you’re right. In the 50s certainly we had 2.15 and 2.30 Saturday matches. 

Evening games in Aug/ Sept were 6.30

Midweek Cup replays were afternoons - I remember going to the 2nd Round Replay against Chesterfield in 1960 ( end of November) so before floodlights. Tuesday afternoon and over 13000 there! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

No you’re right. In the 50s certainly we had 2.15 and 2.30 Saturday matches. 

Evening games in Aug/ Sept were 6.30

Midweek Cup replays were afternoons - I remember going to the 2nd Round Replay against Chesterfield in 1960 ( end of November) so before floodlights. Tuesday afternoon and over 13000 there! 

Tuesday because it was half day closing for shops in the town. How did we manage to eat if running short on food?

The off license of course, often on tick.

Edited by BP1960