OAFC Latest Accounts

48 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Ps. I'd have thought the EFL sent external auditors out to check on every club, is this not the case?

Nope. It's something that I've said for a while could help the governance in the leagues and would go some way in stopping what has happened at Bolton/Bury etc. A small fraction of TV revenues could be diverted to pay for it.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, New Fan said:

The club’s current accountant, judging by his LinkedIn profile, seems to be a competent one with background in external audit as well as being an accountant.

You'd have to be a special kind of incompetent to construct your own LinkedIn page to make you look incompetent! 

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

You'd have to be a special kind of incompetent to construct your own LinkedIn page to make you look incompetent! 

Blimey Dave, is everyone a liar to you, or is it just people at OAFC? How do you operate with such high cynicism? Not good for mental peace. 

11 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

Nope. It's something that I've said for a while could help the governance in the leagues and would go some way in stopping what has happened at Bolton/Bury etc. A small fraction of TV revenues could be diverted to pay for it.

Assuming the EFL cares enough about the lower leagues. Sending auditors to every league 2 club would cost them over £400k. More realistically, they should do a risk assessment each year and send auditors to, say, 5 clubs each year on a cyclical basis, with basket cases getting more intense/ regular scrutiny. 

19 minutes ago, New Fan said:

Assuming the EFL cares enough about the lower leagues. Sending auditors to every league 2 club would cost them over £400k. More realistically, they should do a risk assessment each year and send auditors to, say, 5 clubs each year on a cyclical basis, with basket cases getting more intense/ regular scrutiny. 

Wow, £400k! So much money compared to the billions in TV revenue :mmm:

20 minutes ago, New Fan said:

This seems an eminently sensible and relatively cost effective solution. 

No disrespect BP, I enjoy your posts but the suggestion that a company the size of OAFC could contemplate having clerks whose job it is to check the work of others, or even maintain something approaching an effective internal audit function in an industry that is clearly on the financial precipice (at our level) is frankly ludicrous. 

6 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

Wow, £400k! So much money compared to the billions in TV revenue :mmm:

It’s not youre right but considering the scraps already begrudgingly handed out to the lower leagues I cant see them forking out another half million 

43 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I highly recommend a Twitter account by the name of “The state of LinkedIn” - you’d be surprised how many people manage it. 

11 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

This seems an eminently sensible and relatively cost effective solution. 

No disrespect BP, I enjoy your posts but the suggestion that a company the size of OAFC could contemplate having clerks whose job it is to check the work of others, or even maintain something approaching an effective internal audit function in an industry that is clearly on the financial precipice (at our level) is frankly ludicrous. 

I'm saying checks and balances are important, done that and the pensions fiasco and tax raids wouldn't have have happened.

You aren't telling me the EFL can't afford to keep tabs on how its members run their clubs?

Its my opinion the lack of regular scrutiny had led to the situation we find  with lower league clubs now.

They aren't fit for purpose and need a shake up from top to bottom.

42 minutes ago, New Fan said:

Blimey Dave, is everyone a liar to you, or is it just people at OAFC? How do you operate with such high cynicism? Not good for mental peace. 

I think you may have missed my point there! 

LinkedIn in is self written. I've no reason to doubt the chap's competence but LinkedIn isn't validation of it

46 minutes ago, OAFC1984 said:

It’s not youre right but considering the scraps already begrudgingly handed out to the lower leagues I cant see them forking out another half million 

Each League2 club received £1.1m from the EFL/TV rights (inc solidarity) last season. 

3 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Each League2 club received £1.2m from the EFL/TV rights (inc solidarity) last season. 

No doubt a lot of money to the likes of you and I. In terms of money at the top of the food chain its like a tenner a club

47 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I think you may have missed my point there! 

LinkedIn in is self written. I've no reason to doubt the chap's competence but LinkedIn isn't validation of it

Some EFL clubs finance officers have left under clouds in the past, isn't that correct Dave?

7 minutes ago, OAFC1984 said:

No doubt a lot of money to the likes of you and I. In terms of money at the top of the food chain its like a tenner a club

Mind boggling money to me tbh and a galaxy away from the money the PL Clubs get but I would think a significant amount to a League2 club. Saying that though, we can only guess what our club revenues and costs are because they never get published for us to see. 

58 minutes ago, OAFC1984 said:

14 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Each League2 club received £1.1m from the EFL/TV rights (inc solidarity) last season. 

That's £5.5k per each of the 72 FL clubs.

Or a weeks wages for Maouche.

2 minutes ago, singe said:

What's the £5.5k supposed to be spent on according to their criteria, they must have rules surely?

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

What's the £5.5k supposed to be spent on according to their criteria,

I don't know TBH. I don't even know if the figure is accurate or a guess. But I was just pointing out although I  agree the FL is not going to just give money away, and it's like turkeys voting for Christmas but the amount per club is tiny.
TBH I think it would be more. I imagine they have to submit quite a bit. But you could grade so transparent clubs like Accrington get one visit per season, but others with alarm bells like Bury. Bolton get someone there permanently till it is sorted and lesser involvement in between so an incentive to be legit..

15 minutes ago, singe said:

Singe

Its £1.1m per club, includes the solidarity payments from the Premier League plus the EFL TV deal for the 72.

Just checked it again with Kevin Maguire and forwarded his confirmation on to you

18 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Mind boggling money to me tbh and a galaxy away from the money the PL Clubs get but I would think a significant amount to a League2 club. Saying that though, we can only guess what our club revenues and costs are because they never get published for us to see. 

If they doubled it, or halved it, wage bills would go up or down by that amount and the same clubs would still spend to the point of threatening their existence 

1 hour ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

I highly recommend a Twitter account by the name of “The state of LinkedIn” - you’d be surprised how many people manage it. 

Great account that. I'm still on the lookout for Koweniki's go.

The board meeting throbbed with energy. Positive energy, challenging energy, but without confrontation. Each person put their view with passion, but all knew that we must come together to make the best choice for the company.

But of course it was like that, how could it be otherwise? I had chosen and moulded this group. Some were already semi-precious stones when I found them, some were barely more than dirty pebbles, but their polished synergism now shone like the Jewels in my Crown.

I spoke the least. Hitler was said to be the weakest member of his Cabinet. The others made power plays and strutted for attention  but he was Fuhrer.

The decision was made.

The sandwiches will be served at 12:30.

20 minutes ago, singe said:

I don't know TBH. I don't even know if the figure is accurate or a guess. But I was just pointing out although I  agree the FL is not going to just give money away, and it's like turkeys voting for Christmas but the amount per club is tiny.
TBH I think it would be more. I imagine they have to submit quite a bit. But you could grade so transparent clubs like Accrington get one visit per season, but others with alarm bells like Bury. Bolton get someone there permanently till it is sorted and lesser involvement in between so an incentive to be legit..

After the horse has bolted from the EFL it seems to me.

6 minutes ago, leeslover said:

Great account that. I'm still on the lookout for Koweniki's go.

The board meeting throbbed with energy. Positive energy, challenging energy, but without confrontation. Each person put their view with passion, but all knew that we must come together to make the best choice for the company.

But of course it was like that, how could it be otherwise? I had chosen and moulded this group. Some were already semi-precious stones when I found them, some were barely more than dirty pebbles, but their polished synergism now shone like the Jewels in my Crown.

I spoke the least. Hitler was said to be the weakest member of his Cabinet. The others made power plays and strutted for attention  but he was Fuhrer.

The decision was made.

The sandwiches will be served at 12:30.

I take it you've seen the movie 'Downfall'?

Playing Devil's Advocate - I'm not saying it's right but, many clubs (and many businesses in general) would probably look like basket cases right now under the scrutiny of an indepth audit but those same clubs will be fine, or still here plodding along chaotically, in 6 months or a years or 3 years time. At some point they might sell a player for big money or have a lucrative cup run and be a bit less financially chaotic for a while....

When has it ever been any different? 

Archived