Central Defence - Have I Missed Something?

32 minutes ago, staffordlatic said:

I'm usually Mr Optimistic - but I have to agree. - watching this afternoon's shambles on the OS called "highlights" ?? I seriously fear us seeing anything above 24th all season 😞

I personally think we will stay up, but how far out of relegation spot we will finish is anyone's guess... still have a week to go interesting to see else Abdullah brings in 

5 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

I personally think we will stay up, but how far out of relegation spot we will finish is anyone's guess... still have a week to go interesting to see else Abdullah brings in 

I really hope so.

But I'm just not getting that feeling right now.

This has a feeling of Port Vale from a couple of seasons ago written all over it!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StoodinaBoshell said:

Interesting is one word for it.

I'm trying to be optimistic and positive about the whole situation.. What is needed to get promoted out of this league from previous winners ? Teams that can bully opponents mixed in with technically gifted players.  We have technically gifted but we dont have the aggression side to our squad.. if that makes sense..  

1 hour ago, Frankies6 said:

I'm trying to be optimistic and positive about the whole situation.. What is needed to get promoted out of this league from previous winners ? Teams that can bully opponents mixed in with technically gifted players.  We have technically gifted but we dont have the aggression side to our squad.. if that makes sense..  

Not right sure we have either tbh! Dark days ahead 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Whitts said:

We may struggle but we need to give the manager and the team a little time before we write the season off as a lost cause.  The team is a bit of an unknown quantity but we need to get behind them and hope things gel on the pitch.  Meanwhile, the three groups squabbling to run the club need to find some common ground otherwise the lot will crumble no matter how good the team is.

Will be well behind them early season in hope they produce. Just hope they have enough but honestly we look short all over the pitch and off it 

As a County fan with a genuine soft spot for Latics I worry for you, I know that wasn't your strongest 11 but I expected to see more individual quality even if it's too early to see a cohesive unit, Stott was excellent for us albeit at a lower level but he looked lost yesterday. Then again I've seen us have great pre-seasons in the past and call apart when the real business starts, anyway good luck and KTF.

• Like 4

Just now, China said:

As a County fan with a genuine soft spot for Latics I worry for you, I know that wasn't your strongest 11 but I expected to see more individual quality even if it's too early to see a cohesive unit, Stott was excellent for us albeit at a lower level but he looked lost yesterday. Then again I've seen us have great pre-seasons in the past and call apart when the real business starts, anyway good luck and KTF.

We don’t have a “strongest” eleven.  We just have one slightly less shit than the others, but only slightly.

good luck for the season!

12 hours ago, Frankies6 said:

I dont think we even have any technically gifted players if so you would have expected them to atleast create something against a national league side. We literally have nothing.

You seriously don't want to contemplate hitting rock bottom and starting again, non league football is soul destroying, seeing the away end empty week after week and travelling to places like Brackley, Eastleigh and Spennymoor is something I wouldn't recommend to anyone,  you don't know how good league football is until you lose it.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, China said:

You seriously don't want to contemplate hitting rock bottom and starting again, non league football is soul destroying, seeing the away end empty week after week and travelling to places like Brackley, Eastleigh and Spennymoor is something I wouldn't recommend to anyone,  you don't know how good league football is until you lose it.

I can second the travelling to Spennymoor bit. The sort of place where 'The Wicker man' is seen as a progressive idea rather than a horror film. 

On 7/27/2019 at 12:56 PM, deyres42 said:

Maybe the coach doesn't want this experienced leader that so many seem to think is essential...

The coach doesn't have a say in who is brought in. He's there to try and polish a turd, nothing more, nothing less. Recruitment is in the (not so) capable hands of AL, ML and BO. 

7 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

The coach doesn't have a say in who is brought in. He's there to try and polish a turd, nothing more, nothing less. Recruitment is in the (not so) capable hands of AL, ML and BO. 

Perfectly normal, happens at loads of other lower league clubs.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Perfectly normal, happens at loads of other lower league clubs.

I'm sure there are recruitment officers/sporting directors etc. Banide has had no input on any of these signings. He's there, purely to coach. 

Banide wouldn't have an idea of Woods, Mills and Wilson

10 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

I'm sure there are recruitment officers/sporting directors etc. Banide has had no input on any of these signings. He's there, purely to coach. 

Banide wouldn't have an idea of Woods, Mills and Wilson

Bandide is also there as the patsy when it starts going tits up. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 10:03 PM, Frankies6 said:

I personally think we will stay up, but how far out of relegation spot we will finish is anyone's guess... still have a MONTH to go interesting to see else Abdullah brings in 

FIFY

Few clubs conclude their business until the end of the transfer window. We haven't done for as long as I can remember. I'd like it done sooner admittedly...and I'll be worried about us getting a positive result at FGR if we don't get a CB in before Saturday.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

FIFY

Few clubs conclude their business until the end of the transfer window. We haven't done for as long as I can remember. I'd like it done sooner admittedly...and I'll be worried about us getting a positive result at FGR if we don't get a CB in before Saturday.

We’ll have played 6 league games by the end of the window. 13% of the season. I get that it’s normal to be bringing in the odd player during that time (loan strikers etc) but we lost our CB pairing from last season and haven’t replaced either of them. 

I dread to think how many goals we’ll concede from set pieces unless we sort that out asap.

Think we'll have to wait for the loans at the end of the transfer window before we complete our recruitment, as said above a lot of clubs wait as long as possible to complete their deals. Even with an experienced Clarke and good prospect Edmondson we struggled at the back last year (and the middle, up front, on the bench and in the dugout...) and we do need to get some more bodies in that can play there. Getting players in was one of the things I didn't think we've an issue with by having an agent for an owner, having too many players was more of a worry as the team becomes a revolving shop window for mercenaries. Whoever is doing the recruitment does need to get their finger out as on paper we look worse than last year, we've had some turd run ups to the season recently but this does look one of the worst, makes it easier for Banide though, just needs to pick the only player who can play in that position rather than thinking which is the best player for that spot at the club.