AL - The Positives

2 hours ago, Stevie_J said:

Doesn't sound thrilled to be at Latics, does he?!

Funny that. I read it as though he didn't sound too thrilled NOT to be at Bolton. Nothing bad about being at Latics at all. Actually sounded quite relieved we came to the rescue.

10 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Sounds like AL closed the deal. 

Yes. 
Wheater also says he wanted to hit Owen Coyle for taking him off, preventing him getting a yellow card. ML and AL had better watch out, I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of him.

2 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Funny that. I read it as though he didn't sound too thrilled NOT to be at Bolton. Nothing bad about being at Latics at all. Actually sounded quite relieved we came to the rescue.

He knew the Bolton deal was poor to his current one. But it does not say his current deal is fantastic, more emphasis that it was two years.

Otherwise, it's 90% Bolton

“I’VE got to stop saying ‘us’ when I’m talking about Bolton”.

Wheater fell out of contract and spent the last few months waiting to see if a takeover could be completed, bringing with it five months of unpaid wages.

Clearly he was looking for a deal at that point.

I had the kids and had to get straight on the phone to the wife to get back from the gym so I could shoot down there. [to Bolton]

“Ideally I wanted it all to be sorted, all the takeover, all the money, and just to stay at Bolton because I can’t explain it, I just wanted to stay.”

Having already turned down one move to Oldham in the hope of staying at Bolton, Wheater finally started to discuss a deal at the start of last week. It quickly emerged, however, that Wanderers would be unable to offer the sort of security he required, however much he wanted to stay.

“First off we knew the wages wouldn’t be the best – but it wasn’t just that, I wanted two years,” he said. “They didn’t offer bonuses, but I wanted the [2nd  year] option and Oldham gave that to me.

“Bolton eventually gave me an option after 30 games and so I was ready to sign it, even though it was terrible. My mum and dad were advising me against it saying ‘stop thinking with your heart’ but I wanted it, and that was that.

“Then one of the staff told me I could come and sign at Bolton but warned me that it wouldn’t mean anything until the takeover happened. I still went to do it –

“Am I sad I’m not playing at Bolton? Yeah, I am. I loved played for the club. And even told the owner at Oldham that,” he said.

“He wanted to know why I’d want to sign at [Bolton] a club where the future was so uncertain.

“It’s hard moving. I have never liked change and even when I first came here it was horrible and I felt like I didn’t want to leave home. There were big characters like Paul Robinson, Kevin Davies, Premier League players who’d been in the business a lot of years, so it was hard.

Of his highs and lows in a Bolton shirt, Wheater is only too happy to chat.

“That whole 2016-17 promotion season was probably my favourite but if you want the main highlight, it was staying up against Forest,” he said.

“I got an extra year because of (Aaron) Wilbraham’s goal and I think a few of us were out of a job if it hadn’t gone in. That was just incredible.

4 hours ago, singe said:

He knew the Bolton deal was poor to his current one. But it does not say his current deal is fantastic, more emphasis that it was two years.

Otherwise, it's 90% Bolton

“I’VE got to stop saying ‘us’ when I’m talking about Bolton”.

Wheater fell out of contract and spent the last few months waiting to see if a takeover could be completed, bringing with it five months of unpaid wages.

Clearly he was looking for a deal at that point.

I had the kids and had to get straight on the phone to the wife to get back from the gym so I could shoot down there. [to Bolton]

“Ideally I wanted it all to be sorted, all the takeover, all the money, and just to stay at Bolton because I can’t explain it, I just wanted to stay.”

Having already turned down one move to Oldham in the hope of staying at Bolton, Wheater finally started to discuss a deal at the start of last week. It quickly emerged, however, that Wanderers would be unable to offer the sort of security he required, however much he wanted to stay.

“First off we knew the wages wouldn’t be the best – but it wasn’t just that, I wanted two years,” he said. “They didn’t offer bonuses, but I wanted the [2nd  year] option and Oldham gave that to me.

“Bolton eventually gave me an option after 30 games and so I was ready to sign it, even though it was terrible. My mum and dad were advising me against it saying ‘stop thinking with your heart’ but I wanted it, and that was that.

“Then one of the staff told me I could come and sign at Bolton but warned me that it wouldn’t mean anything until the takeover happened. I still went to do it –

“Am I sad I’m not playing at Bolton? Yeah, I am. I loved played for the club. And even told the owner at Oldham that,” he said.

“He wanted to know why I’d want to sign at [Bolton] a club where the future was so uncertain.

“It’s hard moving. I have never liked change and even when I first came here it was horrible and I felt like I didn’t want to leave home. There were big characters like Paul Robinson, Kevin Davies, Premier League players who’d been in the business a lot of years, so it was hard.

Of his highs and lows in a Bolton shirt, Wheater is only too happy to chat.

“That whole 2016-17 promotion season was probably my favourite but if you want the main highlight, it was staying up against Forest,” he said.

“I got an extra year because of (Aaron) Wilbraham’s goal and I think a few of us were out of a job if it hadn’t gone in. That was just incredible.

Thanks for repeating the article. 

It must be that my eyes aren’t desperate to see everything bad in the club that’s still failing to see where he’s shown unhappiness at signing for us. Mere, sadness he couldn’t stay at Bolton. 

As you were...

• Like 2

Aye, it's a Bolton player of 8 and a half year, talking to a Bolton journalist about the circumstances of him leaving Bolton. He's an uncomplicated lad is Wheats, if he didn't want to sign for us, he wouldn't have.

Edit: At the risk of becoming a full on fanboy, I can't help but note we continually conceded early in pre-season, and then again tonight. Saturday we were alright, and one David Wheater was playing. Please don't get injured/suspended/other.

Edited by Simpo
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Thanks for repeating the article. 

It must be that my eyes aren’t desperate to see everything bad in the club that’s still failing to see where he’s shown unhappiness at signing for us. Mere, sadness he couldn’t stay at Bolton. 

As you were...

Got to agree with you. It’s getting boring as fuck now !! The same 5 or 6 usually. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, al_bro said:

Yes. 
Wheater also says he wanted to hit Owen Coyle for taking him off, preventing him getting a yellow card. ML and AL had better watch out, I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of him.

That was before a cup semi final at Wembley with all his family there to watch him 

totally understandable reaction 

Edited by stevesidg

7 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

He was a breath of fresh on Saturday, he really was. FGR didn't challenge us at all in the air all game really and Wheater showed some nice touches and found men with ease when he needed to. So pleased he’s our player and not a loanee.

I said at the time that he looked great, however I think with Clarke instead we don't concede that goal. Reason for that is because Wheater was not expecting their lad to glance into the box and peel off Missilou so easily so didn't get across. Clarke blocked most of that stuff last year knowing that the midfield lacked any bite. Once he realises (like Clarke did) that he's playing alongside pretty poor footballers he will become even better IMO. 

Edited by youngen
  • Like 2