Right people & right spirit at the Club

Just watched a documentary on BBC I-player about Newport County - a club that went bust, reformed, had to leave Wales twice & play in England, took on the Football League, FIFA & UEFA and won, and last season reached the 5th round of the FA Cup.
This is a supporters owned club, the town/City seem to support the club, the place is a shithole but its there's. In 1989/90 they were in the Hellenic League and playing home games in Moreton-le-Marsh in Gloucestershire, 85 miles away from Newport. In 1989/90 Latics were embarking on their most illustrious campaign in their history, got to one domestic Cup Final, the semis of the FA Cup and only missed out on the Championship play offs as the number of fixtures took their toll. Thirty years later, Newport are in a better situation than Latics despite the handicap of where they started from in 1989.
Three things stood out (1) just how much you can achieve with the right people at the club and the right spirit
(2) Just how much some people love their club no matter how shite they are and how bleak their outlook.
(3) How far Latics have fallen given their starting point and how they squandered our golden generation far too quickly.
If the Lemsagams bin Latics and leave us in shite, we can recover, we will recover and we can become our Oldham again. Unless the owners change their behaviour sadly I can't see we will ever have the right people and right spirit at the club again but I can dream.
  • Like 4

They did have a lottery winner involved at one stage but I agree with the basic tenets of the post. Club, land & stadium need to be reunited.... and we’ll be more of an attractive proposition to a new owner/owners.... be that fan led or otherwise. Marco ain’t the man though, that is for sure.

9 hours ago, unsworth blue said:
Just watched a documentary on BBC I-player about Newport County - a club that went bust, reformed, had to leave Wales twice & play in England, took on the Football League, FIFA & UEFA and won, and last season reached the 5th round of the FA Cup.
This is a supporters owned club, the town/City seem to support the club, the place is a shithole but its there's. In 1989/90 they were in the Hellenic League and playing home games in Moreton-le-Marsh in Gloucestershire, 85 miles away from Newport. In 1989/90 Latics were embarking on their most illustrious campaign in their history, got to one domestic Cup Final, the semis of the FA Cup and only missed out on the Championship play offs as the number of fixtures took their toll. Thirty years later, Newport are in a better situation than Latics despite the handicap of where they started from in 1989.
Three things stood out (1) just how much you can achieve with the right people at the club and the right spirit
(2) Just how much some people love their club no matter how shite they are and how bleak their outlook.
(3) How far Latics have fallen given their starting point and how they squandered our golden generation far too quickly.
If the Lemsagams bin Latics and leave us in shite, we can recover, we will recover and we can become our Oldham again. Unless the owners change their behaviour sadly I can't see we will ever have the right people and right spirit at the club again but I can dream.

Alright Winston Churchill.....

9 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

we can recover, we will recover and we can become our Oldham again.

17 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Alright Winston Churchill.....

And if the pitch is true to form after the winter then ‘We shall fight on the beaches...’ comes to mind. 😀

• Like 2

17 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

It's taken 30 years though. I won't be around in 30 years, so I would prefer us not to go bust at all.

Watched the documentary on Newport. 

I think the emotions being so raw when they started again made it easy for Newport to channel the energy easily into something positive.

I think the problem we have is 25 years of mis-management by the owners have meant we don't really have the enthusiasm amongst the supporters to start from scratch. Throw in with that how easily our fans seem to divide over every issue and the fact we have never really found a person to act as a figurehead for the fans to unite the troops, I think it would be better if we didn't go bust and wait for this foreign billionaire to come along..

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Watched the documentary on Newport. 

I think the emotions being so raw when the stated again made it easy for Newport to channel the energy easily into something positive.

I think the problem we have is 25 years of mis-management by the owners have meant we don't really have the enthusiasm amongst the supporters to start from scratch. Throw in with that how easily our fans seem to divide over every issue and the fact we have never really found a person to act as a figurehead for the fans and unite the troops, I think it would be better if we didn't go bust and wait for this foreign billionaire to come along..

The rogue American owner was largely responsible for them going bust in the first place - thought the auction of goods was really harrowing for a diehard supporter of the club. Could easily happen in football clubs now - Bury FC are on the rack, Bolton have been through the mire but look to be safe, the way we are going I certainly wouldn't rule it out. I don't want a Phoenix club, I want my old Latics back - my point was that if the Lemsagams do one & go leaving OAFC in the lurch, don't rule out a recovery (of sorts) by a committed group of supporters who want a return to the Latics we all fell in love with        

5 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

The rogue American owner was largely responsible for them going bust in the first place - thought the auction of goods was really harrowing for a diehard supporter of the club. Could easily happen in football clubs now - Bury FC are on the rack, Bolton have been through the mire but look to be safe, the way we are going I certainly wouldn't rule it out. I don't want a Phoenix club, I want my old Latics back - my point was that if the Lemsagams do one & go leaving OAFC in the lurch, don't rule out a recovery (of sorts) by a committed group of supporters who want a return to the Latics we all fell in love with        

I'm not sure such a group exists..

Amongst our modest fan base, we appear to have factions, lead by individuals who are divisive. If there's anyone out there amongst our fan base who can bring us all together (like the fan who was a lawyer in the Newport documentary..), then they are yet to show themselves..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

I'm not sure such a group exists..

Amongst our modest fan base, we appear to have factions, lead by individuals who are divisive. If there's anyone out there amongst our fan base who can bring us all together (like the fan who was a lawyer in the Newport documentary..), then they are yet to show themselves..

They may not do Joe but the time is yet to come to pass. 

I think a lot depends on just when Lemsagams get cheesed off and decide to go 

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

They may not exist now but things change when you actually lose the thing that is precious to you. Until we are literally at deaths door you won't know what might happen.

Despite some postings on here I don't think we are at that stage yet.

I am very sceptical of Latics' financial welfare under Lemsagams (though that's nothing new at OAFC). The apparent refusal to allow Trust to see the accounts in full is of concern. I do think that there maybe hidden "horrors" ahead financially but hoping I am wrong, either way where there's a will as Newport proved  

22 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

They may not exist now but things change when you actually lose the thing that is precious to you. Until we are literally at deaths door you won't know what might happen.

Despite some postings on here I don't think we are at that stage yet.

No-one came forward when Moore walked away. We went into receivership, and nearly went bust until TTA took over at the last minute, if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, al_bro said:

No-one came forward when Moore walked away. We went into receivership, and nearly went bust until TTA took over at the last minute, if I recall correctly.

Very true. Plus there were some really committed, die hard fans doing their utmost for the cause (bucket collections at City, United etc.). Those type of supporters don't appear to be around anymore - though I`m happy to be proven wrong.

6 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Very true. Plus there were some really committed, die hard fans doing their utmost for the cause (bucket collections at City, United etc.). Those type of supporters don't appear to be around anymore - though I`m happy to be proven wrong.

The reason for that is, in the past it felt like our club, now it feels totally different, a foreign owner with a suspect agenda who thinks nothing of dividing the fan base to satisfy his own needs. 

31 minutes ago, al_bro said:

We didn't reach receivership but it was close

36 minutes ago, al_bro said:

I wasn't meaning an individual to buy the club-more a supporters starting from scratch if necessary. Again if we get to that stage  you cannot know what will happen, past events provide no guide to the future in football.

"We didn't lose watersheddings...the council conned us out of it..

The club wanted to sell all the remaining land at sheddings,the stadium,greyhound stadium and car park, to a property developer for somewhere in the region of £4m that would have cleared our £1.5m debt and left us with money in the bank to start somewhere fresh..

The council made a counter off of £1.5m for all the land and the promise of building the club a new stadium..an offer the club took...no brainer really 

The council then sold the land to the very same property developer for upwards of £4m and the roughyeds never got the stadium they where promised..."

The above quote is from a rugby league forum about the sad demise of Oldham Rugby. Almost criminal what happened to them.

The point here is that ownership of the land/stadium is critical - and to be fair, that is what the FLG are focussed on (i.e. rather than buying out AL's team/badge as some are clamouring for). The FLG should retain their focus and they should have our full support in their aim. 

When the rugby became nomads, using the likes of Sedgley Park,. their core support virtually evaporated - and they have never recovered. They are currently on a promotion push but still struggle to pull in 400/500 home fans.

Let's hope Latics do not go the same way as the rugby. First vital step - secure the stadium - here's wishing good luck to the FLG. 

P.S. they were regularly pulling in over 4,000 home fans at their own ground at Watersheddings

Edited by wiseowl
clarification
  • Like 2

Catching up the posts it still seems some are still backing the as yet anonymous FLG  to carry on fragmenting the ownership of the ground? A targeted take over strategy by unknown funders and we are all expected to support it? For the moment I’ll stick with the least worst option of the guy who is funding / putting the Latics team on the pit. Not my ideal choice but until someone explains why there is such a big mystery why the masked raiders aren’t more open about why they want to own assets, yet are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chaddy14 said:

Catching up the posts it still seems some are still backing the as yet anonymous FLG  to carry on fragmenting the ownership of the ground? 

AL team + BB ground

vs

AL team + FLG ground

= more fragmented.... 🙄🤪

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chaddy14 said:

Catching up the posts it still seems some are still backing the as yet anonymous FLG  to carry on fragmenting the ownership of the ground? A targeted take over strategy by unknown funders and we are all expected to support it? For the moment I’ll stick with the least worst option of the guy who is funding / putting the Latics team on the pit. Not my ideal choice but until someone explains why there is such a big mystery why the masked raiders aren’t more open about why they want to own assets, yet are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts! 

Is the current club ownership clear and open to you? We know what Abdallah and Mo look like, what else? There seems to be a bit of mystery on their side as well

• Like 1