Transfer Policy

A lot has been made of our transfer policy under the new regime, of those brought over I would consider Nepo and Missilou as successful, Maouche has been  so so which leaves the rest of them in my opinion as failures all the way from your Placide' and Omrani' to the current crop where you'd have to say at the very least they lack quality with some even lacking ability, Egert may be decent but I'm not sure when we will see him which leaves,

Sefil, Branger, Gonzales, Sylla, Vera, Azankpo, Kokos who you'd class as sub standard.

Add to that Fane, De la Paz, and Benteke all within the last twelve months and your paying the wages of near on a full eleven who we've imported who'd frankly struggle in the National League, regardless of the wages these players are earning whose forking out for the associated costs like accommodation and transport for starters, I presume many will be put up in hotels or at very least into rental accommodation, surely that model is unsustainable financially and that's before you factor in the language barrier and cliques this approach has already led to, do we have an infrastructure in place like many PL and Championship clubs where these players can get the help and support they need? Probably not. 

It really is a mystery why this approach is being persevered with as it clearly is failing, not one of the owners recruits in the past 24 months has gone on to command a transfer fee which makes a mockery of the notion that we are somehow tapping into unearthed talent and hidden gems, all we seem to end up with is failure after failure and the better foreign recruits even seem to be falling out of favour (Fane and Nepo spring to mind).

My question is really where is this going? Are there any positives I'm missing that can be gained from this experiment because I just cant see them and I've given it two years.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

A lot has been made of our transfer policy under the new regime, of those brought over I would consider Nepo and Missilou as successful, Maouche has been  so so which leaves the rest of them in my opinion as failures all the way from your Placide' and Omrani' to the current crop where you'd have to say at the very least they lack quality with some even lacking ability, Egert may be decent but I'm not sure when we will see him which leaves,

Sefil, Branger, Gonzales, Sylla, Vera, Azankpo, Kokos who you'd class as sub standard.

Add to that Fane, De la Paz, and Benteke all within the last twelve months and your paying the wages of near on a full eleven who we've imported who'd frankly struggle in the National League, regardless of the wages these players are earning whose forking out for the associated costs like accommodation and transport for starters, I presume many will be put up in hotels or at very least into rental accommodation, surely that model is unsustainable financially and that's before you factor in the language barrier and cliques this approach has already led to, do we have an infrastructure in place like many PL and Championship clubs where these players can get the help and support they need? Probably not. 

It really is a mystery why this approach is being persevered with as it clearly is failing, not one of the owners recruits in the past 24 months has gone on to command a transfer fee which makes a mockery of the notion that we are somehow tapping into unearthed talent and hidden gems, all we seem to end up with is failure after failure and the better foreign recruits even seem to be falling out of favour (Fane and Nepo spring to mind).

My question is really where is this going? Are there any positives I'm missing that can be gained from this experiment because I just cant see them and I've given it two years.

I agree with the main gist of your post.

However I would not class Sylla and Azankpo as substandard nor would I include Kokos in that description as we have not really seen him yet. Then there is Fage who looks a tidy player to me.

The since departed De La Paz too seemed okay when he got one of his infrequent chances. 

The rest have not shown enough that’s true. If, as seems likely,  Abdallah’s plan is to showcase these ‘gems’ in order to sell on then the plan is simply not working.

46 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I agree with the main gist of your post.

However I would not class Sylla and Azankpo as substandard nor would I include Kokos in that description as we have not really seen him yet. Then there is Fage who looks a tidy player to me.

The since departed De La Paz too seemed okay when he got one of his infrequent chances. 

The rest have not shown enough that’s true. If, as seems likely,  Abdallah’s plan is to showcase these ‘gems’ in order to sell on then the plan is simply not working.

Which is my point really, I get it if its successful but this persistence could well lead to us losing our FL status, surely the pair of them are not that stupid to jeopardize that? 

What's the going rate for keeping these players a month regardless of the wages, money cannot be haemorrhaged like that continuously with no return surely? On any level it makes no sense 

34 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Sefil, Vera and Omrani really take the biscuit for me. Especially Vera the fat prick 

Was Queensy Mensig part of this regime too? Didn't we also have another Haitian guy (defender) who was training with us for a while too at the back end of the relegation season but never made the first team? Plus Moimbe (who by all accounts could play - I didn't see him) but played a big part in getting us relegated with his idiocy.
It's just all really weird......

25 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I've got a few questions over the uk business too.

Mills - did we sign him to play right wing?  Seems like he should be full back but we want to develop Hamer as he's the next potential sale so Mills has been bunted out onto the wing.

Wilson - the coach seems to favour a 4-2-3-1, but it seems Wilson has thrived in a front 2 in the past. Is he lone striker material? And if we do switch to a 4-4-2, do we have the central midfield pairing to work in that system?

Zabret - why use a loan up on the reserve keeper?

Have we just got the likes of Mills and Wilson in because they were available, look decent and had good games against us last season?  Or have they been scouted and assessed and it's been decided that they fit into the style/system we're looking to play?  I'm not having a go at either, both on the face of it look like they could be good signings.  I'm more concerned that we'll be wasting them.

And before someone comes along claiming squadraphobia, Mills and Wilson I'd expect were signed as first choice players. But I just don't see how they fit in our team as it is currently, or rather how our team fits around them.  Do we have any strategy when it comes to our overall recruitment?  How is the overseas recruitment working alongside the uk recruitment to create a squad the coaching staff are happy with and fits their prefer style/system?  Is there a plan/vision or is it all just being thrown together?

I would genuinely love someone from the club to be a bit open about it and discuss it.  

43 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Plus he's not a 'fat prick' 

Went to the game with someone who never goes on Saturday, they turned to me and said who is your striker arnt they meant to be athletes these players, he can’t run and he’s way over weight. So that’s that. 

Ive seen Vera in pretty much every game he’s played home and away. Is that enough for you ? Climb out his arse hole. 

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Went to the game with someone who never goes on Saturday, they turned to me and said who is your striker arnt they meant to be athletes these players, he can’t run and he’s way over weight. So that’s that. 

Ive seen Vera in pretty much every game he’s played home and away. Is that enough for you ? Climb out his arse hole. 

So are lots of people, doesn't make them 'fat pricks'

Trouble is, people do expect instant results and the very fact that these players have to relocate in a new country means they invariable need time to settle.

This could also be hindered by living out of a hotel room,maybe not having much of a grasp of the English language and learning to adapt to new surroundings, playing and coaching methods,weather etc etc.

Whilst bearing these factors in mind, i think it is fair to say that we have signed some very poor players, ie BRANGER  even those that some people think are good really aren't all that NEPO and then there are others who can't really be arsed to turn up every game MAOUCHE.

In spite of all the vitriol aimed at one particular player, i believe that given an extended run and the correct service,he will become not only a valuable member of the team but has the ability to become top scorer.

Time alone will tell :OASISscarf:

Archived