Valley Parade - The Final Whistle

33 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

I guess you weren’t there then if you think it was 30 seconds?

My post probably gives too much weight to booing because that’s what I was discussing.  Booing, name calling, abusive language, physical abuse, stewards getting involved, fisticuffs.  Lots more too so it really was a hectic 30 seconds!

I never said that the booing wasn’t warranted.  I booed myself.  You seem to have dismissed all the rest of what was going on though as high jinks and mild histrionics.

Grown men?  I’ll take your word for it.  Thanks for the opinion though 👍

I wasn't there, no, but what I do know is that the players chose to sign for this club - most will have been aware of who Abdallah Lemsagem was before they arrived.

Let's be honest, a bit of swearing and shouting is mild histrionics.

Questioning if they're grown men? Did you go to watch the youth team yesterday?

Your post literally expressed no opinion whatsoever.

Edited by NewBlue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisRichard said:

I think the original post is well written and spot on. Most of our players are young men and boys at the start of thier career. Some of these boys have joined Latics to start their journey into being a football player, our captain Maouche included. The fact is they've been sold a dream. The dream to get on the ladder at a football league club. They are going to sign, baring in mind that some have played at clubs where it hasn't worked for them at a different level. For some, this is their shot at making it, ie we maybe their last port of call.

I didn't see what happened at the end of the Bradford game, I didn't experience it first hand but what I've read and seen videos of is disgraceful at full time. 

How can someone grab and threaten a young lad who has tried his hardest in a crap situation (Desire). How can someone threaten a player that IMHO has been one of the better players signed by this dictatorship (Nepo). On top of this, a fan gets knocked out by a fellow 'fan' for what? Most people don't seem to know. The players are the front line, customer facing people of the club, yes. But they haven't chosen to be the human shield of the puppet masters above. 

We are Oldham fans. As far as I'm aware, most of us are not feral. The anger can not be and should not be directed at fellow fans or, as much as it's infuriating to watch, the kids on the pitch. I'm angry, very angry at the state of affairs at our club. I've had a pop in social media but I'm coming to realise getting angry with the players is not going to solve anything. The anger generated lies solely with those who have put everyone in an awful, toxic, pressured situation. The Lemsagam brothers, not those young men that play for the club. 

I don’t disagree with the overall premise of your post, but Maouche and Desire are 26...

Edited by Ryan

10 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

I wasn't there, no, but what I do know is that the players chose to sign for this club - most will have been aware of who Abdallah Lemsagem was before they arrived.

Let's be honest, a bit of swearing and shouting is mild histrionics.

Questioning if they're grown men? Did you go to watch the youth team yesterday?

Your post literally expressed no opinion whatsoever.

Probably best we leave it there then and agree to disagree.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

It didn't strike me as players not trying at all yesterday. Desire and Fage ran their bollocks off, Fage played well, Desire had a thankless task without enough support or the right service.

Maouche was unlucky with hitting the post and he kept possession very well and played some good balls. He's a boo boy whatever anyone says on here. Their commentators (BBC Bradford or Leeds, whichever it was) were impressed with him too.

Sefil has of course been blamed by everyone here and on Twitter for about 7 goals yesterday just because he is Sefil. First goal Mills let's the man cross and Iacovitti's man bags. 2nd goal the striker is over to Iacovitti's side and Mills appears to play him on. He made some important challenges yesterday and didn't do too much wrong. He's nowhere near Edmundson's level but then think back to the season before last when Edmundson was out of position quite a bit and doing daft stuff like the penalty at Fleetwood. Those who haven't played much need some time. Edmundson got his fair share of stick and came on massively.

Nepo played alright again, some good balls in. One was an absolute sitter that either Hamer or Iacovitti headed over in 2nd half. Anyone grabbing him and calling him shite is an idiot if that's what happened.

These are the players we've got. That's the manager we've got. They're trying. It just hasn't worked or clicked yet and it may not do but they need supporting as long as the effort is there from them 

Has anybody found us a new owner yet?

Oh no the apologist is back, look you can't polish a turd and even the ones who show glimpses cant put a decent half hour together never mind a full game, it's a team full of weak characters without a plan or an obvious leader, honestly don't see us winning many games never mind competing, Crewe and Bradford could of had six each and that's without us really having a go going forward, all the quality and leaders from last season Iverson, Lang, Clarke, Eddy, Surridge and Lyden to a degree had been replaced by absolute dross, subservient yes men who are Abdallah and Mo's puppets add the manager into that and it's a recipe for disaster. 

As for the antics at full time it was inevitable I called it on here last week when I said it's likely to get toxic and guess what it wont get any better going forward with the shitshow that exists.

• Like 1

Just now, yarddog73 said:

Oh no the apologist is back, look you can't polish a turd and even the ones who show glimpses cant put a decent half hour together never mind a full game, it's a team full of weak characters without a plan or an obvious leader, honestly don't see us winning many games never mind competing, Crewe and Bradford could of had six each and that's without us really having a go going forward, all the quality and leaders from last season Iverson, Lang, Clarke, Eddy, Surridge and Lyden to a degree had been replaced by absolute dross, subservient yes men who are Abdallah and Mo's puppets add the manager into that and it's a recipe for disaster. 

As for the antics at full time it was inevitable I called it on here last week when I said it's likely to get toxic and guess what it wont get any better going forward with the shitshow that exists.

Speaking of apologists - where’s Boundary Blue this weekend?

51 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Totally agree, this is a complete train wreck. I wouldn't be surprised to see us not win a game all season. We will prob pick up the odd point,from more luck than anything else.

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

You're right.  I'd go one step further than that and say a lot of them are here by pure nepotism.  They haven't worked their way up through the youth system or are on the way down after a successful career elsewhere - they've literally been given contracts because of who they know.

I wasn't there yesterday either, but the "playing well yet losing" dance is one we've done on many, many occasions over the last 25 years...

The abuse from the fans (within reason..) is part of the gig, I'm afraid.  We've been relegated from the division above and are currently bottom of the entire league.  Tough shit and welcome to the real world..

• Like 3

We left at 82 mins. There had been a little bit of back and forth between fans about standing up that was clearly fuelled  by the frustration of the score line but it was clear that it was going to get nasty at the final whistle. Even my 9 year old son just looked at me and said, ‘Can we go?’

1 minute ago, yarddogs said:

Did anyone else see the woman on the pitch wearing the club training kit giving the wanker sign back at the fans yesterday?

Yeah. A representative of the club.  Shows what they think of the fans

5 hours ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Forgive the new post when I could have put this in the Bradford thread but I am really surprised that the 5-10 minute period after the final whistle yesterday hasn’t been mentioned (unless I’ve missed it) on here.  Apparently it has been a hot topic (piss boil) on Twitter according to my lads but that place is way too toxic for me these days.

The support from Latics fans in the first half was brilliant.  Loads of singing, some good natured piss taking of certain Spanish players and constant ribbing of the non-existent home support.  It changed in the second half unsurprisingly and at 3-0 down, I remember thinking that I hoped the players wouldn’t come over to us at the end although if they hadn’t, we would never have heard the end of it I’m sure!

For those who weren’t there, the majority of fans booed at the final whistle.  For the first time in nearly 50 years, I was one of them. At Carlisle last season, I left just before the final whistle though to be fair.

Despite this, every player came over with boos and cat-calls ringing in their ears.  The crowd was toxic but none of them turned back.  There was no applause at all but lots of hand gesturing and particularly vitriolic comments (mainly warranted).  Got to be honest, if that had been me, I’d have thought “fuck you” and headed for the showers.  But they came. Right to the pitch edge.  Some even came to talk to fans although I think something happened with Azankpo leading to the Stewards getting involved and pulling him away from the crowd.  It looked like some were trying to abduct him!

The looks on the players faces and that fact that they had the balls to show a bit of defiance spoke volumes.  The “People Leader” in me thought good.  Hopefully you now truly understand what this Club means to those who travel across the Country to watch the team week in and week out. Maybe next time you will collectively make less mistakes, play better and at least score a fucking goal.

Despite the gin (or maybe because of it), my sleep was disturbed last night mainly because I’m a father and some of those young men are the same age as my sons.  The look on the faces of Wilson, Azankpo, Fage and a few others was one that I won’t forget.  Enraged fans were snarling at them, calling them wankers and telling them that they’re not fit to wear the shirt.  In some cases I agree, but some of those players did well yesterday (particularly Fage) and some of those getting abuse were non-playing substitutes like Jamie Stott.  I say that because the whole lot of them were getting dog’s abuse.  Nobody was off limits.

This post is already two long but a couple of thoughts before I finish.

Whatever we think about the shit show that our Club has become, consider how the players must feel about being led by a puppet manager, with influences from the owner plus his brother and the very likely sanction of being ‘banished to the Youth Team” (or worse) should they express an opinion.

Finally, while I applaud the players for showing some defiance yesterday and coming over, a true leader would have said, “right lads, go halfway, clap and then head to the showers”.  Clarke or Wheater or any true leader in the team would have made sure that happened.  Or a real manager if we had one.  To his credit, Maouche did apparently try to engage with the baying mob at the front by gesturing for them to “cam down”.  Of course this had the opposite affect as it’s the equivalent of the “you ok hun?” posts on here.

Anyway, I don’t expect everyone to agree with my opinion but would be interested to hear what others thought after yesterday seeing how the reaction after the game has barely been mentioned.

15 upboats!!!

Top post 👍🏻.

10 minutes ago, yarddogs said:

Did anyone else see the woman on the pitch wearing the club training kit giving the wanker sign back at the fans yesterday?

Your referring to Sue Howard - I think, apparently her other half was at it as well (Dean Pickering) shame really as they shouldn't be getting involved.

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, yarddogs said:

8 minutes ago, Gary_P said:

Yeah. A representative of the club.  Shows what they think of the fans

3 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Is she the assistant physio? 

Sue Howard the name being thrown about in Twitter - isnt she one of the groundstaffs mrs?

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I presume that this is an attempt at humour @wiseowl because if you are being straight with what you say then I think you should reveal who your ‘good authority’ is.  

I don't tell lies, BigDog

It was a former manager that told me - I`m saying no more than that.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I presume that this is an attempt at humour @wiseowl because if you are being straight with what you say then I think you should reveal who your ‘good authority’ is. 

Earlier in in the week we had posters using Branger and Vera starting games as evidence that the manager is being told which players to play. Neither started or came off the bench yesterday - so did Mo sanction that as well? 

Just to give you the full picture, BigDog, the below is what I posted after a chat with a former manager last week. I was called an attention seeker by one on here for posting it. Just thought people may be interested in the sincere comments of a former manager, with Latics v close to his heart. 

Im not particularly well connected with people at the club but, purely by chance, I had a very "grown up" conversation today with someone who has operated right in the centre of things. I have no reason to doubt what they said and, let's just say, I now have no doubt that a lot of the rumours around, for example, "interference in team selection" are true.

It was said that the owner was genuinely shocked to discover he had not bought everything lock, stock and barrel (and, in particular, the Joe Royle stand). This would seem to fit in with the recently published letter i.e. the lease for 3 sides of the ground was secure but the lease on the JR and certain land around it had been "given up" by the club. Due diligence would appear to either have not happened or been woefully inadequate during the takeover. Ownership of the JR was seen as crucial to cashflow/profitability.

The cultural problems, in this person's view, were very difficult. It was stated that criticism of any kind (internally or externally) was taboo and that there was close monitoring of social media, the press etc. regarding any such criticism. Internal criticism was dealt with swiftly.

Following relegation, last season's playing budget had been reduced by £1M.

One other very serious issue was constantly being rumoured but, as it is rumour, I`ll not comment further.

This person expressed their love for the club and closed by saying that they genuinely feared for our existence beyond this season and said "..seriously, tell the fans that they must unite because, if not, the Latics will be dead in the water soon."

In their opinion - 95% of the club's problems were down to one issue - its current ownership.

11 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Just to give you the full picture, BigDog, the below is what I posted after a chat with a former manager last week. I was called an attention seeker by one on here for posting it. Just thought people may be interested in the sincere comments of a former manager, with Latics v close to his heart. 

Im not particularly well connected with people at the club but, purely by chance, I had a very "grown up" conversation today with someone who has operated right in the centre of things. I have no reason to doubt what they said and, let's just say, I now have no doubt that a lot of the rumours around, for example, "interference in team selection" are true.

It was said that the owner was genuinely shocked to discover he had not bought everything lock, stock and barrel (and, in particular, the Joe Royle stand). This would seem to fit in with the recently published letter i.e. the lease for 3 sides of the ground was secure but the lease on the JR and certain land around it had been "given up" by the club. Due diligence would appear to either have not happened or been woefully inadequate during the takeover. Ownership of the JR was seen as crucial to cashflow/profitability.

The cultural problems, in this person's view, were very difficult. It was stated that criticism of any kind (internally or externally) was taboo and that there was close monitoring of social media, the press etc. regarding any such criticism. Internal criticism was dealt with swiftly.

Following relegation, last season's playing budget had been reduced by £1M.

One other very serious issue was constantly being rumoured but, as it is rumour, I`ll not comment further.

This person expressed their love for the club and closed by saying that they genuinely feared for our existence beyond this season and said "..seriously, tell the fans that they must unite because, if not, the Latics will be dead in the water soon."

In their opinion - 95% of the club's problems were down to one issue - its current ownership.

"One other very serious issue was constantly being rumoured but, as it is rumour, I`ll not comment further."

What's this bit? And don't say you can't say because unless it names the person you spoke to there is no reason to keep it to yourself

1 minute ago, mcfluff1985 said:

"One other very serious issue was constantly being rumoured but, as it is rumour, I`ll not comment further."

What's this bit? And don't say you can't say because unless it names the person you spoke to there is no reason to keep it to yourself

The same rumour that's been touched upon on here a few times mc - and you have mulled it over as to how it might happen.

3 hours ago, NewBlue said:

The original post gives far too much weight to booing...

They're grown men, getting booed for 30 seconds.

It was completely over the top.

My youngest son was in tears as were some of the players.

20 minutes ago, BARNS said:

It was completely over the top.

My youngest son was in tears as were some of the players.

If the abuse was personal then it's obviously not on, but being on the receiving end of a bit of booing and songs like 'what the fucking hell is that' is part and parcel of being a footballer. If you can't hack that you're not going to get very far...

No player should fear for their safety or feel threatened of course, like - was it really that bad?

• Like 1