Valley Parade - The Final Whistle

2 hours ago, BARNS said:

It was completely over the top.

My youngest son was in tears as were some of the players.

No it wasn't and it will only get worse. The players werent in tears at all, yeah they looked despondent but so they should. I am sorry your son was in tears, genuinely uncertain what caused that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

To be honest I think there is a section of the supporters who are toxic, and it suits them that the team is struggling at the moment. 

Is it any surprise that there are? I doubt there is one single supporter who doesnt want us to win games

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

To be honest I think there is a section of the supporters who are toxic, and it suits them that the team is struggling at the moment. 

Yes there are definitely and you will find them at away games, mostly closer derby games and the like. They seem to care more about antagonising opposing fans than watching the football. And it wasn't just booing which given the performance  is warranted. It was viscous with an air of real menace. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

Nah, that's bollocks, not toxic more passionate/pissed off at what is happening to our club. You pay good money to Stand on the terraces at an away game, at the least you demand the team give it a good go. The Clown in charge is killing our club, passions will spill over. I'm a bit meh about it all but those that vent their spleen have my backing. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Gary_P said:

I am sorry your son was in tears, genuinely uncertain what caused that. 

The atmosphere. Where we were fans were arguing amongst themselves. Some moved closer to the front clearly waiting for the final whistle. Not sure this how old this child is but mine was is 9, wasn’t  in tears but said, ‘Can we go?’ When I asked why he said , ‘The atmosphere is not nice’. He’s been to many away days and plenty of hostile grounds but  that was the first one I felt that I wanted to leave early because it was clear what was going to happen and you had to walk through it to get to the exit.

43 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Nah, that's bollocks, not toxic more passionate/pissed off at what is happening to our club. You pay good money to Stand on the terraces at an away game, at the least you demand the team give it a good go. The Clown in charge is killing our club, passions will spill over. I'm a bit meh about it all but those that vent their spleen have my backing. 

The question is, does it achieve anything or just make things worse?

In another few weeks, if we're playing crap nervous football all the time, if the home performances seem really cagey, if the players don't seem to go the extra mile for the fans - maybe it'll be time to think back and think that behaviour from the fans part of the problem?

Like everyone points out, it's a revolving door at Oldham (and most clubs at this level), and the players don't have any connection to the club other than their wage. 

Do you think they're going to get any love or pride for the club when they're getting that sort of abuse from the start, week in week out?

Putting frustrations with the owners on the players doesn't help anyone.

If you're so concerned about the fact you've paid for the ticket, why act in a way that makes it more likely you'll pay to see even more bad performances?

1 minute ago, SweeperKeeper said:

The question is, does it achieve anything or just make things worse?

In another few weeks, if we're playing crap nervous football all the time, if the home performances seem really cagey, if the players don't seem to go the extra mile for the fans - maybe it'll be time to think back and think that behaviour from the fans part of the problem?

Like everyone points out, it's a revolving door at Oldham (and most clubs at this level), and the players don't have any connection to the club other than their wage. 

Do you think they're going to get any love or pride for the club when they're getting that sort of abuse from the start, week in week out?

Putting frustrations with the owners on the players doesn't help anyone.

If you're so concerned about the fact you've paid for the ticket, why act in a way that makes it more likely you'll pay to see even more bad performances?

What else can we do? Sit back and watch out club fail? It may do nothing or do as you say. But. It may make the owner act and do the right thing. Thats doubtfull tbh, but it may nake him open to an offer to get the hell out of our club.  We aint gonna fix this now overnight, so if a few players get a bit pissy, who cares

1 minute ago, Gary_P said:

What else can we do? Sit back and watch out club fail? It may do nothing or do as you say. But. It may make the owner act and do the right thing. Thats doubtfull tbh, but it may nake him open to an offer to get the hell out of our club.  We aint gonna fix this now overnight, so if a few players get a bit pissy, who cares

I'm saying that taking it out on the players makes the club fail faster.  

If a few players get a bit pissy, we lose more matches. Those players are what we've got at the moment, and none of the rest of us can get us points in the league. 

I think there are better ways to get the owner's attention. 

• Like 2

Fans fault we got beat the last 4 games last season without a whimper, and getting turned over by none league pre season plus getting beat the first 4 games of this season, filled with the shite him and his brother has recruited this season, FFS get these clowns out🤡🤡

8 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

I'm saying that taking it out on the players makes the club fail faster.  

If a few players get a bit pissy, we lose more matches. Those players are what we've got at the moment, and none of the rest of us can get us points in the league. 

I think there are better ways to get the owner's attention. 

How do you suggest we "ger the owners attention"? 

• Matt featured this topic
3 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

How do you suggest we "ger the owners attention"? 

On this point, people have said protesting hasn't worked at blackpool for example. However people have also said that in his country it's all about respect and how he will be seen at home  maybe protest, clown mask, tennis balls etc would work with him?

I thought it was an absolutely ridiculous reaction personally, vent your anger all you want at the owner. But them players didn't lack effort yesterday, first half we were the better team by a mile and actually played some decent stuff. Was a joke that, and I’m probably in the minority which I find baffling. Also if a players trying his best, but he’s simply just not good enough, that’s abdallahs fault, not the players.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Andy-latic said:

I thought it was an absolutely ridiculous reaction personally, vent your anger all you want at the owner. But them players didn't lack effort yesterday, first half we were the better team by a mile and actually played some decent stuff. Was a joke that, and I’m probably in the minority which I find baffling. Also if a players trying his best, but he’s simply just not good enough, that’s abdallahs fault, not the players.

No doubt the players put more effort in yesterday than they did Saturday 😏

6 minutes ago, Andy-latic said:

We never said this about banks or all the other shite we have down the years. Dont disagree with you, just playing devils advocate 

4 minutes ago, Andy-latic said:

I can't recall anybody slating the effort more the quality on the pitch, do you think it's acceptable for the current regime to keep pushing this agenda and flooding the team with sub standard recruits many of which wouldn't get in Stockports team? 

Local away with a few hundred inebriated tics kicking off after not seeing their team compete in a League game for the umpteenth time in months - shocker.

Anyone clapping them off needs their heads testing and they are so far short of what's required it is laughable, fans ultimately continue to pay good money home and away to watch this crock of shit side that's been cobbled together by several chancers, are they really the problem? Are they fuck.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Forgive the new post when I could have put this in the Bradford thread but I am really surprised that the 5-10 minute period after the final whistle yesterday hasn’t been mentioned (unless I’ve missed it) on here.  Apparently it has been a hot topic (piss boil) on Twitter according to my lads but that place is way too toxic for me these days.

The support from Latics fans in the first half was brilliant.  Loads of singing, some good natured piss taking of certain Spanish players and constant ribbing of the non-existent home support.  It changed in the second half unsurprisingly and at 3-0 down, I remember thinking that I hoped the players wouldn’t come over to us at the end although if they hadn’t, we would never have heard the end of it I’m sure!

For those who weren’t there, the majority of fans booed at the final whistle.  For the first time in nearly 50 years, I was one of them. At Carlisle last season, I left just before the final whistle though to be fair.

Despite this, every player came over with boos and cat-calls ringing in their ears.  The crowd was toxic but none of them turned back.  There was no applause at all but lots of hand gesturing and particularly vitriolic comments (mainly warranted).  Got to be honest, if that had been me, I’d have thought “fuck you” and headed for the showers.  But they came. Right to the pitch edge.  Some even came to talk to fans although I think something happened with Azankpo leading to the Stewards getting involved and pulling him away from the crowd.  It looked like some were trying to abduct him!

The looks on the players faces and that fact that they had the balls to show a bit of defiance spoke volumes.  The “People Leader” in me thought good.  Hopefully you now truly understand what this Club means to those who travel across the Country to watch the team week in and week out. Maybe next time you will collectively make less mistakes, play better and at least score a fucking goal.

Despite the gin (or maybe because of it), my sleep was disturbed last night mainly because I’m a father and some of those young men are the same age as my sons.  The look on the faces of Wilson, Azankpo, Fage and a few others was one that I won’t forget.  Enraged fans were snarling at them, calling them wankers and telling them that they’re not fit to wear the shirt.  In some cases I agree, but some of those players did well yesterday (particularly Fage) and some of those getting abuse were non-playing substitutes like Jamie Stott.  I say that because the whole lot of them were getting dog’s abuse.  Nobody was off limits.

This post is already two long but a couple of thoughts before I finish.

Whatever we think about the shit show that our Club has become, consider how the players must feel about being led by a puppet manager, with influences from the owner plus his brother and the very likely sanction of being ‘banished to the Youth Team” (or worse) should they express an opinion.

Finally, while I applaud the players for showing some defiance yesterday and coming over, a true leader would have said, “right lads, go halfway, clap and then head to the showers”.  Clarke or Wheater or any true leader in the team would have made sure that happened.  Or a real manager if we had one.  To his credit, Maouche did apparently try to engage with the baying mob at the front by gesturing for them to “cam down”.  Of course this had the opposite affect as it’s the equivalent of the “you ok hun?” posts on here.

Anyway, I don’t expect everyone to agree with my opinion but would be interested to hear what others thought after yesterday seeing how the reaction after the game has barely been mentioned.

Although the post carries quite a lot of accuracy, there are certain points included within the post that are quite clearly untrue.

I was supportive up until seeing the pathetic display of defending for their 2nd goal. That was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me. I then turned my anger and frustrations straight to board level. Towards Abdallah, Mo and Barry Owen. Throughout the second half, I joined in and started on occasion the songs against the board. Never did I or many more like myself turn on the players.

Towards the end, I headed down to the front of the stand to vent my anger at the final whistle. That was definitely not aimed towards the players but purely straight up to the board level.

The players, to be fair to them, stuck their necks out and faced the angered following away support. Azankpo came over and was in tears. It probably shocked him to see the crowds feelings towards the whole situation but he was reassured by supporters that fans do not blame the players for the current situation.

My friends and I then called Jamie Stott over who we spoke to for about 90 seconds or so. My words to him were “All of this anger, frustration and emotion is not towards you and not towards the majority of the players. The problem is up there (pointing to the directors box). He nodded in acceptance whilst looking heartbroken. I’m sure he was, he’s been at the club for 11 years I believe. He probably can’t quite believe it either”. Stott then  went off clearly emotional and in tears to which he was consoled by a member of staff. This is where a problem then started.

That club member pulled a couple of players away, before doing the wanker sign in the direction to myself and my friends. I have known this particular staff member for quite a few years so I was extremely pissed off as you can imagine.

It ended up getting worse with a couple of scuffles breaking out, nothing to do with me and in my opinion really not needed or required. Following leaving the stadium, we headed up the hill towards where the offices were as we wanted to voice our furstrations once more towards the board. Said club staff members partner then came out and shouted towards the support (about 20/30 people in total) that he will “see fans in the pub later and sort it out man to man”. I appreciate he was frustrated and angry too but not the best way of going about it. We were then moved on by police, in hindsight, probably the best for the situation before we headed back to the Bradford Arms for a debrief on the game.

Some tears were shed, heated discussions within our friends group and then a “what do we do from here” chat which still doesn’t seem very clear.

The actions of the club staff involved was poor. I sent the following message to this said individual on facebook not too long after the incident:

“Don’’t ever call me a wanker again for standing up for the club I support. Abdallah, as I’m sure you very well know is ruining the club yet you call supporters wankers. I appreciate Jamie Stott was upset and again not his fault as was reiterated throughout our furstrations. I don’t blame the players, firmly lies at board level so if you think I’m wrong then fine but we have 43 games to save this club going into non league so we need to speak up now before we leave it too late”

I then got a response of: “I didn’t call you because of Abdallah, I feel for the players that everyone was abusing”

Fair enough response however, certainly the people who were talking to the players at the front, there was no abuse towards them whatsoever.

Our club is in a mess!

• Like 3