New owner please

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Because they're already in the premier league...

I understand that. I also understand the attraction to a club like Chelsea- capital/postcode etc. I also believe he’s a red so that probably rules him out anyway.

Guess the point I’m making is that seems to me that to own a football club you have to have very deep pockets and be willing to leak money for little in return other than kudos and/or status.  I love Oldham Athletic and would love nothing more than someone swooshing in with bags of money to throw at our club (or even someone ethical and honest) but I feel it won’t happen. Not in my lifetime. Sorry that sounds very negative.

People need to realise that noone with money will buy Oldham. Ever. No money to be made in it. So unless it's another AL we will get an owner that has us on the breadline like the previous decade just so he/she can break even. So instead of second rate french players we will have second rate English players. Either way there's gunna b a kick off from fans. If you look at the teams who have been successful with money u will notice that there isn't any big clubs anywhere near them and they have gates of five figures every week

5 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

People need to realise that noone with money will buy Oldham. Ever. No money to be made in it. So unless it's another AL we will get an owner that has us on the breadline like the previous decade just so he/she can break even. So instead of second rate french players we will have second rate English players. Either way there's gunna b a kick off from fans. If you look at the teams who have been successful with money u will notice that there isn't any big clubs anywhere near them and they have gates of five figures every week

I take your point, but how far, exactly, is Bradford from Leeds? They get five figures every week. Look how many Blackpool get now. Not a million miles from Preston. Portsmouth get huge crowds and they've got Southampton and Bournemouth just up the road.

But I'll grant you Oldham is surrounded by other clubs but, given the population, we should be pulling in 5 or 6 thousand every week. But we never will until the product on the pitch improves, and that's unlikely with Laurel and Hardy in charge.

When u say not a million miles and just up the road, it may be correct, but not a million miles and just up the road from us are two of the biggest clubs in the world.... We have a decent population in Oldham. Trouble is they'd rather the 20 mins tram ride to Manchester to watch a world class team. I can't see a Portsmouth resident travelling an hour on a train to watch Southampton

2 hours ago, LittlePhilHill said:

One of the richest men in Britain, Jim Ratcliffle from  Failsworth, would rather buy Chelsea. Cannot think why.

Much rather the Trust be writing letters to him "fancy backing the FLG?" than ones that are going to be ignored by Marco

1 hour ago, Chris15Arm said:

Bournemouth have done ok. . 

49 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I don't think we really need rich people in - we need the right people in...

Is that not just another Corney though? He was the right guy, he tried youth, he tried loans, he tried experienced players, the main problem was that he was skint. Therefore nearly losing the club altogether. AL isn't Richard Branson by any stretch, but a guy who has English football in his blood with ALs wealth wouldn't waste his money on a club like ours. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Bournemouth have done ok. . 

Bournemouth. Blackpool. Portsmouth. Lincoln. Luton. No big teams around them. If their locations didn't have footy teams everyone would still know where their towns/cities are. So it's attractive to investors because they know they have large towns or cities that have only one club and some of them quite nice places to attract players to live. If we didn't have a club called Oldham Athletic then how many people in this country would no where the town of Oldham is? How many times have you explained to someone 'i live in and support Oldham, it's near manchester'? That sentence is the biggest reason for no major or decent interest in us

3 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Is that not just another Corney though? He was the right guy, he tried youth, he tried loans, he tried experienced players, the main problem was that he was skint. Therefore nearly losing the club altogether. AL isn't Richard Branson by any stretch, but a guy who has English football in his blood with ALs wealth wouldn't waste his money on a club like ours. 

You'll be rustling a few feathers on here, by suggesting Corney was the "right guy"! Ha!

It's not just the top person that needs to be competent. As a club, we've never really been that enterprising. That needs sorting out..

7 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Bournemouth. Blackpool. Portsmouth. Lincoln. Luton. No big teams around them. If their locations didn't have footy teams everyone would still know where their towns/cities are. So it's attractive to investors because they know they have large towns or cities that have only one club and some of them quite nice places to attract players to live. If we didn't have a club called Oldham Athletic then how many people in this country would no where the town of Oldham is? How many times have you explained to someone 'i live in and support Oldham, it's near manchester'? That sentence is the biggest reason for no major or decent interest in us

Salford have done ok. . 

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

You'll be rustling a few feathers on here, by suggesting Corney was the "right guy"! Ha!

It's not just the top person that needs to be competent. As a club, we've never really been that enterprising. That needs sorting out..

Haha I was and still always willing to give owners or people in general time. I junk AL has brought some good players in. I liked placide and moimbe. Missiliou and Nepo have been brilliant. Maouche has something. (And before anyone says he doesn't show it often, I'll point to the fact Baxter was utter shite most games but he had genius in him a some time). This Fage guy looks a real good player. And I don't believe in aliens because I ain't seen them so Mo picking the team, unless someone has been in the dressing room and seen him then I'll not believe it. Something is being interfered but I doubt he picks the team. That's jus my opinion. And Corney did everything he could to keep us going out of business. We didn't like it coz we struggled but if he ain't got the money he ain't got the money

8 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Luton, Portsmouth and Blackpool nice places? 😳

Just now, OAFC1984 said:

Luton, Portsmouth and Blackpool nice places? 😳

I said some lol. And they might be just as grotty as Oldham but they have prominence. Portsmouth has the boats. Luton has the airport. Blackpool has the stag do's 😂. No big clubs in their area

1 minute ago, Chris15Arm said:

Salford have famous people. If we had 5/6 world class players buy us plus one of the richest men on earth we'd be the same

Exactly. 

Which totally refutes your point about location and no money to be made. 

If we had heavy and sustained investment we’d be back up without doubt. 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Exactly. 

Which totally refutes your point about location and no money to be made. 

If we had heavy and sustained investment we’d be back up without doubt. 

It doesn't take anything away from my point. Scholes could have made a point about buying Oldham. Nevilles could have made a point about buying bury. But they didn't. They chose to take over a club with pocket change for purchase price. They chose to go down the media routes. It was very clever. Millionaires and billionaire buy Sunday league club. Make a TV show about it. Stick their faces all over it. Get sky to sponser them. Plus they're Manchester royalty. I doubt we have 6 millionaire oldhamers who would do the same for us. So my point still stands as Salford are a one in a million opportunist.

Archived