Bury: Minutes to Midnight

3 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

They shouldn’t be viewed as Tesco and the local corner shop..... heavier regulation of how they operate and stricter rules dictating the sharing of wealth should have been imposed. Personally, I’m in favour of a salary cap too.

Well, as an unashamed fan of American sports it should come as no surprise that I think the salary cap model is a good idea... for them. It wouldn’t work for Association Football; the only possible way it could is if FIFA were to micro-manage the job lot. Imagine the FA turning round and telling Arsenal that, as part of their licence to participate in the Premier League, they had to hand over, say, 50% of their operating profits to redistribute amongst the rest of the pyramid AND only pay world-class footballers a massively deflated sum compared to what they could earn across the Channel. It’d be bye-bye, European Super League here we come.

If football clubs are indeed valuable community assets, then the community need to step up and sustain them. If they’re not interested and/or capable of doing so, tough shit. I know that sounds strong but hand-wringing, meek platitudes and virtue-signalling achieve nothing.

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, JohnG123 said:

Great post.

I also think lower league footballers need to get a grip on reality and come to terms with earning a reasonable salary. The problem is its a short career , Hence why some semi professional players refuse to give up their day job to go fully professional.

A solution needs to be found or most lower league clubs will either disappear or be left with no choice than to go semi professional.........  

The players are used to believing they will get sorted out no matter what (like the clubs). Any other line of work if you're moving job you'd have a think about how the company is, if you had mates there who told you hours were being cut and the order book was bad you'd think twice. As horrible as this is, it's happening because nobody involved really feared failure 

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I feel for the genuine fans of Bury FC. Yesterday was a sad day for football too. It seems inevitable that more clubs will follow in the near future. Could the richer clubs do more by passing more of the tv money down the leagues? Probably but that alone would not be enough. The EFL have to step in and monitor clubs spending beyond their means.

If we take the emotion out of it, Bury have folded because, as a business, their operating model was flawed and not sustainable.

A sad but inevitable outcome. 

2 hours ago, NewBlue said:

The amount of money isn't the true problem surely, it's the incentives of spending

If you gave a Chairman like Day more he'd manage to spunk it on some other outlandish ambition

See above - that’s where the EFL need to step up.

13 minutes ago, leeslover said:

The players are used to believing they will get sorted out no matter what (like the clubs). Any other line of work if you're moving job you'd have a think about how the company is, if you had mates there who told you hours were being cut and the order book was bad you'd think twice. As horrible as this is, it's happening because nobody involved really feared failure 

Maybe AL and ML are actually doing it right - destroying our reputation so no one wants to come here, thus saving having to pay wages!

54 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Maybe AL and ML are actually doing it right - destroying our reputation so no one wants to come here, thus saving having to pay wages!

It's ok, we seem to have a hotline to the home where retired players who've spunked their career earnings go to.

Sad as it is for Bury, unfortunately it was inevitable with a twat like that in charge and the way the club was run over recent years.

They will reform in one way or another if there is enough passion and drive from the supporters.

It's a long road back but now the fans can take control of what happens from here.

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

Ivan Lewis the MP has just tweeted that Bury have now found a buyer who has agreed to buy the club from Steve Dale and has asked the EFL to reverse its decision.

The EFL were made aware of this late last night but apparently haven't responded.

Fair play to their local MP's for getting involved, might stir a bit more shit up for those culpable.

6 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

They shouldn’t be viewed as Tesco and the local corner shop..... heavier regulation of how they operate and stricter rules dictating the sharing of wealth should have been imposed. Personally, I’m in favour of a salary cap too.

The Tesco and local shops are in truth going to be far more important to the local community than the football clubs, and wouldn't be improved by having committees of blazered twats telling  them their business. Football clubs have more oversight than similar sized businesses yet seem to be worse run. More of the same? I know someone on Furtherwood Road who would step up to the plate.

33 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Ivan Lewis the MP has just tweeted that Bury have now found a buyer who has agreed to buy the club from Steve Dale and has asked the EFL to reverse its decision.

Probably too little too late but?

Sorry but if they did it’s a piss take

i am as gutted as anyone that a Football League Club has gone to the wall but they spunked money they didn’t have for a number of years and have now fallen foul of it

it’s not nice but it is not unjust and all the pillocks dancing on the pitch when they won promotion with a squad they hadn’t paid all season who now give the EFL abuse a joke.

Shit business with a shit business model goes bust - expected 

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

The EFL were made aware of this late last night but apparently haven't responded.

Fair play to their local MP's for getting involved, might stir a bit more shit up for those culpable.

There's nothing to respond to. Apparently EFL have been made aware, but it's basically one email saying I'll buy Ur club off u. Or I no someone Hu will buy Ur club. And that's it... Dale wants the land for which he will get millions for. He's trying to deflect blame to EFL so his house doesn't get burnt down by thousands of angry supporters

6 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

There's nothing to respond to. Apparently EFL have been made aware, but it's basically one email saying I'll buy Ur club off u. Or I no someone Hu will buy Ur club. And that's it... Dale wants the land for which he will get millions for. He's trying to deflect blame to EFL so his house doesn't get burnt down by thousands of angry supporters

The offer I quoted was aired by Ivan Lewis MP late last night, not sure if it's the same offer.

Perhaps they're clutching at straws. As you would.

6 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

The offer I quoted was aired by Ivan Lewis MP late last night, not sure if it's the same offer.

Perhaps they're clutching at straws. As you would.

It's just an MP trying to raise hope for his home town. It's the same two offers as last night. It's clutching at straws for him n supporters. But dale is still playing his game. Trying to get other clubs to vote them back in

4 hours ago, Fanny Adams said:

What I can't understand is why did Bury ask for volunteers yesterday before the outcome to clean the stadium?? 

Forever Bury asked for volunteers to come and clean the stadium on Tuesday with the presumption that the deal on the table would go through. Sadly it didn't and others were either rejected or not deemed suitable so the end came. My other half is a Shaker who was going to go down today IN THE EVENT that the Doncaster game was to be played. Forever Bury guilty of either over-optimism or not thinking things through properly.  

Well done to all who volunteered from Bury and elsewhere - sorry it was all in vain

6 hours ago, singe said:

I do wonder if Dale is going to get the value any of the assets. 

Let's hope Gigg Lane goes to phoenix club. 

6 hours ago, OldhamSheridan said:

I'd be very surprised. That'll be houses (with a small sporting venue attached in some way to bypass the covenant).

"BURY FC supporters’ trust has triumphed in its bid to protect the club’s ground by having it listed as a “community asset”.

The application by Forever Bury, approved by Bury Council, means the trust must be notified if the ground is to be sold by the current or any future owners.

The trust will then have a six-month period to put together its own bid for the stadium."

Bury Times (March 2014)

As controversial as it is I don't think anyone wud buy a league 1 club with such small crowds. My father in law is a bury fan and was obviously upset but I had to point out to him that he hasn't been to a game for twenty years even tho he lives five mins away from gigg. If we had the players and promotion season that they had last season, we would be getting a hell of a lot more fans in, whereas bury didn't. Without an increase in fans no club can compete at that level. Hence the saying, football is nothing without fans. Dale and the previous owners have fucked up by spending more than the fan base can pay for. I think we have to look at ourselves and say where will we be if fans keep staying away in protest? Coz now bury won't find a serious buyer coz of the amount of money needed to put in that they will never get back. I ain't a protester even tho I ain't happy with AL, but I'd say to everyone, if you want to voice Ur concern then at least turn up to the matches to do that rather than starving outlet club of income

4 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Know this categorically do you or is it just your opinion ?

Didn't think Lewis was that type of politician.

Yeah the EFL where live on sky today saying they had received the offers but it was just a basic email with no info on anything. Hes a politician doing his best and trying everything for his club/town

Archived