Bury: Minutes to Midnight

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I live in bury too. Totally unaware of that. When was that ? 5 min walk from mine. I’m obviously not plugged into the social pipeline. I refuse to liaise with these bury freaks. 🤣

That's 3 of us from Bury....well Ramsbottom to be exact.

Should we form a Bury branch of the OAFC supporters club? 

Lot's of people coming up with things that "the EFL should do" but isn't it the 72 club owners that would ultimately vote for or veto any such big changes? 

Owners voting to put something in place that would make it harder for them to sell seems highly unlikely to me.

I wouldn't.

15 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Quality sweetie shop too if that’s your bag. Bowling, cinema and a Chinese all you can eat oh and Nando’s (cheeky). Bury town centre does actually piss all over Oldham's tbf

Much as I love my town, you are quite right.

Bury market is a great half day visit and the town centre is a bustling and pleasant experience. Oldham town centre lost it years ago. Even the restaurants attached to the relatively new town hall cinema complex are really struggling (think one has closed down and another unit been empty since the opening of the complex). Our council's incompetence is renowned - they've never had a coherent masterplan - and stuck to it. A very high level of council tax in Oldham - for very little return.

The one thing to hang on to is that you can still have a good drink in the town centre - but many of them are also now struggling.

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Apart from visiting a client on a business park by the motorway junction I don't think I have ever been to Bury in my life.  If only I'd realised it was retail heaven......

Don't tell your wife or partner, the shopping  will bankrupt you.

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Apart from visiting a client on a business park by the motorway junction I don't think I have ever been to Bury in my life.  If only I'd realised it was retail heaven......

Ah, you are a players agent?

56 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Bury market is a great half day visit and the town centre is a bustling and pleasant experience. Oldham town centre lost it years ago. Even the restaurants attached to the relatively new town hall cinema complex are really struggling (think one has closed down and another unit been empty since the opening of the complex). Our council's incompetence is renowned - they've never had a coherent masterplan - and stuck to it. A very high level of council tax in Oldham - for very little return.

The one thing to hang on to is that you can still have a good drink in the town centre - but many of them are also now struggling.

Its more than "Bury Market" its "The world Famous Bury Market". Great marketing (excuse the pun).

The mother-in-law lives in Bangor North Wales and if she was visiting she'd take the coach that they run from Bangor to Bury so people can visit the world Famous Bury Market. Worked out cheaper than train and just as quick.

6 minutes ago, Witty said:

Its more than "Bury Market" its "The world Famous Bury Market". Great marketing (excuse the pun).

The mother-in-law lives in Bangor North Wales and if she was visiting she'd take the coach that they run from Bangor to Bury so people can visit the world Famous Bury Market. Worked out cheaper than train and just as quick.

Once took a girl to Wales....... to Bangor 😩

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Gourmet Burger closing might have been related to it being about £20 for burger, fries and a drink. Molina Lounge is doing fine, Stucco seems to do good trade and a new Greek place (Achilles) opposite the Colosseum just opened and is really good. People will come for the right service 

3 minutes ago, leeslover said:

Gourmet Burger closing might have been related to it being about £20 for burger, fries and a drink. Molina Lounge is doing fine, Stucco seems to do good trade and a new Greek place (Achilles) opposite the Colosseum just opened and is really good. People will come for the right service 

But then you've got them needlessly pissing Wetherspoon's off to the extent that they went from wanting to extend the Shay Wake to closing it....

49 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

But then you've got them needlessly pissing Wetherspoon's off to the extent that they went from wanting to extend the Shay Wake to closing it....

Oh no, where the UnUnDead go for a drink now?

11 hours ago, Witty said:

That's 3 of us from Bury....well Ramsbottom to be exact.

Should we form a Bury branch of the OAFC supporters club? 

I  live in Unsworth and my son and his fiancée live in Chesham - 6 of us. Must be more - see the odd latics shirt knocking about in Bury/ Prestwich (then I realise I am walking past a mirror!!!)   

3 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

I  live in Unsworth and my son and his fiancée live in Chesham - 6 of us. Must be more - see the odd latics shirt knocking about in Bury/ Prestwich (then I realise I am walking past a mirror!!!)   

I've seen a few in rammy. One family who's son is in my daughter's year at school. We should all do a minibus for away games lol

6 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

I've seen a few in rammy. One family who's son is in my daughter's year at school. We should all do a minibus for away games lol

I'm a Rammy Blue. I live near Hare & Hounds. My daughter is at Wood Hey. I dont have a Latics top...well one that fits me.

I've passed a car once or twice turning off the A56 at Rammy with an OAFC sticker in back window.

Wish our pies were half as good as those at Rammy FC.  

If I win tonights Euro Millions I'm buying Latics and moving it to Rammsbottom

9 minutes ago, RoytonLatics said:

It's a shame Martin Samuel writes for the Mail as I'm not buying that and he's long been one of the best football writers around. He's bang on the money there. 

If the lower leagues just pass the begging bowl to the big boys that is surely the quickest way of inviting B teams in. 

12 hours ago, The Blue Alb said:

Fair enough. I find the slog through Bury ring road a royal pain 

12 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

Sometimes Im straight on motorway to Middleton and drive through there. Longer but at busy times it's easier 

Keep these kind of posts coming lads. Very enjoyable....

Anyone else got any driving in or near Bury anecdotes? 

9 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Keep these kind of posts coming lads. Very enjoyable....

Anyone else got any driving in or near Bury anecdotes? 

On my only trip to Bury I missed the turning for the business park and had to go round the motorway roundabout again. 

I've been living off that story on the after dinner circuit for years now. 

Archived