Bury: Minutes to Midnight

3 hours ago, Barry Bosnian said:

So does anyone know how this affects League Two if it does happen? We'll have four go up and three come down from League One to balance out that League, but how far down the chain does it go? Will we just have one team relegated and two come up?

according to woman from EFL on radio 5 only one club relegated from league two 

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Problem is he wants back what he's put in by sorting things out from the previous owner. However he continued to sign players they couldn't afford. What did he expect to happen. The EFL should be able to force him to accept the best offer he ha received. They really need to have a good look at their rules

You can’t force the owner of a private limited company to sell their business,  no matter how much of a pillock he is. The EFL shouldn’t have those powers either.  

They should just have a more robust check and balance on becoming an owner and then, more importantly, ongoing capital adequacy requirements with sanctions.

Inevitably though, sanctions hit fans and players more than owners.  Little you can do once you've allowed someone in. The EFL can’t override company law. 

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

Problem is he wants back what he's put in by sorting things out from the previous owner. However he continued to sign players they couldn't afford. What did he expect to happen. The EFL should be able to force him to accept the best offer he ha received. They really need to have a good look at their rules

The bit I struggled with was how he managed to run the club before he passed the so called fit and proper test.

Also, assuming the club folds tomorrow, what does he get? Does he own the land and ground, for instance? 

3 hours ago, WLYOWD said:

Agree something needs to change. My suggestion would be something like:

New EFL club owners should have to put a sum of money into an escrow account that is equivalent to the last 2 years of of audited accounts.

This should be on top of a provable 3 seasons business plan.

If they can’t afford to do this they can’t afford to buy a football club.

Not sure that would stop the crooks getting involved . What I think needs to happen is that of certain situations occur such as what has happened at Bolton and Bury then the EFL should have the power to intervene and seize the football club. If the football club consistently fails to make payroll and consistently has winding up petitions then the EFL should be able to step in auction it off. I don't like the house buying analogy to running a football club but its probably relevent here if I can't pay my mortgage I lose my house to the bank and Im out on the street and their is nothing I can do should something similar happen at football clubs rather than have this game of brinkmanship that is going on at both Bury and Bolton.

The fit and proper person test is a waste of time its you are effectively asking people to predict the future. Which knowone can do but making owners more accountable when they run cluns would probably help quite alot.

2 hours ago, leeslover said:

That would rule out buyers (or fans groups) looking to take over the club and live within it's means, it would be a huge ask to find say £4 million to sit in a bank before you even started. Reminds me of FC Eibar who won promotion to La Liga but were threatened with being sent to the 3rd division because they didn't have 2 million lodged (even though they were apparently in the best financial state of any club in Spain)

This is very simple. There should be a soft cap based on audited revenue. Any owner is free to splurge as much money as they like above that but for every pound over they have to put another, say, 50p into escrow so that if they walk there can be an orderly winding down of the contracts involved. 

The EFL have a great deal of power in that they can remove a club from the football league but due to their reluctance to do so we have this madness going on at Bury.  Dale is calling their bluff and more time will be granted.

There is nothing to stop anyone buying a football club.  The EFL will then insist on undertaking a fit and proper test and we all know what the outcome will be because the pass percentage seems to be zero.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

This is very simple. There should be a soft cap based on audited revenue. Any owner is free to splurge as much money as they like above that but for every pound over they have to put another, say, 50p into escrow so that if they walk there can be an orderly winding down of the contracts involved. 

Quite like that one.

3 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Not really the deadline was fairly arbitrary. 

I think they will eventually get a deadline that won't be extended. 

6 games suspended, thrown out of the cup and no clear sign of anything improving - its a piss take

once again football a law unto itself. Just let a failed business die 

7 minutes ago, OAFC1984 said:

6 games suspended, thrown out of the cup and no clear sign of anything improving - its a piss take

Football is only being a law unto itself about football. The business won't automatically die upon them being thrown out of the league.

18 minutes ago, OAFC1984 said:

This is all because one person (Dale) is not playing ball....it’s ridiculous that he’s holding the club and fans to ransom......You wouldn’t be saying that if it was Latics!!

AL could do exactly the same in the not too distant future.

Playing Devil's Advocate......

If it was made more difficult to buy a football club, and money needed to be left in escrow, how many clubs that were saved in the past wouldn't have been saved? 

How many decent owners would be put off?

It always seems a deal needs to be done quickly with days, or hours, to spare....

I know I'm repeating myself but, most of the Football League hasn't done a Bolton or Bury and most of the Football League clubs (especially in the Championship) are in better shape (and with better grounds and facilities) than most top flight clubs were 20 or 30 years ago...

I might be wrong but a lot of the "solutions" being suggested/demanded could do more harm than good....

90 of the 92 aren't about to go bump. And even the other two probably won't. 

22 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

This is all because one person (Dale) is not playing ball....it’s ridiculous that he’s holding the club and fans to ransom......You wouldn’t be saying that if it was Latics!!

What about Stewart Day??

Anyway, fuck Bury. I've absolutely no sympathy with them.  Anyone with half a brain saw this coming back in 2013 when Day first took over.

3 minutes ago, Fanny Adams said:

What about Stewart Day??

Anyway, fuck Bury. I've absolutely no sympathy with them.  Anyone with half a brain saw this coming back in 2013 when Day first took over.

Most Bury fans saw this coming during Day's ownership but it still doesn't prepare you or hurt any less when the inevitable happens.

34 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I would be saying exactly the same if it was Latics having known people who lost their jobs when Leicester went into admin to avoid paying what was owed for building their stadium.

people lost their jobs but the fairytale of Leicester winning the Premier League was worth it 

Funny how now everyone in Bury is a fan and has been going for 50 years.

Bloody hell listening to the local media they should have been getting over 20,000 fans every game.

Some towns and Oldham is heading in the same direction don't deserve a football league team.

8 minutes ago, JohnG123 said:

Funny how now everyone in Bury is a fan and has been going for 50 years.

Bloody hell listening to the local media they should have been getting over 20,000 fans every game.

Some towns and Oldham is heading in the same direction don't deserve a football league team.

Just out of interest, whats the minimum required for “deserving” one?

Archived