Bury: Minutes to Midnight

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Apparently all 24 of the L2 clubs are against, so only need 12 of those from L1/Champ to vote against and they can fuck off to non league.

It might be quite close. The group trying to get them reinstated reckon 15 clubs cast their vote yesterday  and all 15  voted to re-instate them in League 2.

Two League 2 clubs (Colchester and Walsall) were among the clubs named as having voted to reinstate them.

8 minutes ago, OldhamSheridan said:

Telegraph has over 60 against. 

Not that is matters anyway as they won't get up and running again in their current entity.

That is probably the reason why enough Championship/League 1 clubs  will vote against reinstatement. They wouldn't want a situation whereby they let them back in, only for them to be unable to take their place in L2. There are too many risk factors in their re-launch plan for it to have  even a 50% change of succeeding.

If they were re-instated it would be as bad as when Leicester had a new stadium built they couldn't pay for, and went into receivership with no punishment. That brought about the points deduction policy for clubs going into receivership.

3 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Apparently all 24 of the L2 clubs are against, so only need 12 of those from L1/Champ to vote against and they can fuck off to non league.

Rampant self interest there, who's going to vote to gain a relegation place! 

31 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I do hope here that Dale sells the club and doesn't try to profiteer from the land that way the pheonix club can re-emerge.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one if I were a Bury supporter.

He'll look to maximise his profit whichever way he can. We can but hope he does the honourable thing.

I’d be absolutely devastated if I was a Bury fan. I take no pleasure in it. Some of the most memorable times of my childhood with my parents were spent at the home of my football club. I hope to share the same precious moments with my children. The thought that may not happen is frightening. We should never ever take our incredible football club and the friendships we’ve all forged through it for granted. Whether you feel Mr. Lemsagam should be afforded more leeway or otherwise, moments like this - so close to home - should be the sobering events that focus our collective efforts on the bigger picture.

19 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I’d be absolutely devastated if I was a Bury fan. I take no pleasure in it. Some of the most memorable times of my childhood with my parents were spent at the home of my football club. I hope to share the same precious moments with my children. The thought that may not happen is frightening. We should never ever take our incredible football club and the friendships we’ve all forged through it for granted. Whether you feel Mr. Lemsagam should be afforded more leeway or otherwise, moments like this - so close to home - should be the sobering events that focus our collective efforts on the bigger picture.

agree 100% Lookers - we cannot as a supporter base opt to look the other way and hope that the Lemmys are running the club diligently - we need assurance that they are and need to be vigilant if not vigilantes until we receive appropriate assurance 

10 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

I do feel sorry for the genuine supporters of the club but the decision by the remaining clubs, whether self serving or not, is the right one. Bury FC will start again just not in League 2. A lesson for the rest.

5 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Ooh, we could draw them away in the FA Cup next season. Be like Chasetown again. Local bakers with rosettes in the windows. Bunting on display down Bury high street. Full back washing the ball in a puddle.

Player interviewed on Football Focus who has to squeeze in football alongside a proper job (ideally in the black pudding industry). 

Feel sorry for some of the fans and some of the people who may lose their jobs. The rest can fuck off. Sympathy dredging politician peddling a fake story can fuck off. ‘We are going up’ fans can fuck off. All the players have already fucked off. Day can fuck off. Not often l’m 100% on the side of the EFL but they are fully peak with this stand. 

37 minutes ago, bozman said:

It seems they are not ready to  give up start a phoenix club yet.

The Bury rescue board are apparently considering legal action against the EFL whilst also asking for direct entry in to the National League.

I think they are going to start losing a lot of sympathy. Of course, they have to try and get back in. But that's come to an end now. Comments like " Devastating to hear self-interest was served cold by many EFL clubs today"  are going to alienate support. They should focus on the phoenix. It will be better supported anyway.
And stopping Dale selling Gigg Lane.
They seem to be fighting the FL hard than they fought Day or Dale .

2 hours ago, singe said:

I think they are going to start losing a lot of sympathy. Of course, they have to try and get back in. But that's come to an end now. Comments like " Devastating to hear self-interest was served cold by many EFL clubs today"  are going to alienate support. They should focus on the phoenix. It will be better supported anyway.

It seems that their actions are based on having a potential buyer with proof of funds, who will only buy if they retain league status. They also have a 'promise' from Dale that he will sell to them .

Whilst I'm sure self interest was a major factor for League 2 clubs, it probably wasn't for League 1 and Championship clubs. Even if a club chairman wanted to keep Bury in the league it would have been a brave move to actually vote for it, given that the likelihood of a sale ever completing remained highly questionable. 

As you say, it might be better  for them to focus now on starting again at the bottom. They need to find a way to get the ground off Dale. If they can do that they'll be well placed to rise through the pyramid quite quickly.

1 hour ago, bozman said:

It seems that their actions are based on having a potential buyer with proof of funds, who will only buy if they retain league status. They also have a 'promise' from Dale that he will sell to them .

Whilst I'm sure self interest was a major factor for League 2 clubs, it probably wasn't for League 1 and Championship clubs. Even if a club chairman wanted to keep Bury in the league it would have been a brave move to actually vote for it, given that the likelihood of a sale ever completing remained highly questionable. 

As you say, it might be better  for them to focus now on starting again at the bottom. They need to find a way to get the ground off Dale. If they can do that they'll be well placed to rise through the pyramid quite quickly.

Agreed. If the new buyers already had the club then there would be a much stronger case, albeit still not enough IMHO. It's all if, buts, maybe's, and too reliant on the word of someone who has really  proven himself to be untrustworthy. and that's Dale's own fault too. He could have done it the easy way, but had to try and be clever.

9 hours ago, singe said:

Indeed. They conveniently forget their self-interest of spending way above their means for the previous 2 seasons, effectively buying a promotion that they couldn’t afford, so cheating.

The EFL have made a rod for their own backs by not following their own process with the transfer of ownership between Day and Dale. But if the EFL had followed their process, Bury would likely have not got promoted, as Day was seriously short of money, and Dale probably still would have bought the club anyway, as Dale would have passed the fit and proper persons test. So they’d be going bust in League 2.

I have a lot of sympathy for genuine Bury fans who pointed out the risks, as well as those staff members who are all unemployed,  although given our turn-over of staff they might well find work here easily, plus those who just went to Gigg Lane through habit. But the likes of those Bury fans who mocked Blackpool and Bolton fans, as well as those boasting about their squad depth when we were both in League 1, deserve their local derby being at Prestwich Hays next season. 

Archived