Bury: Minutes to Midnight

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

farcical. 

Or going through the legality motions, at the end of the day Bury will be starting again as a phoenix club in the lower reaches of the pyramid, can't fault anyone with a interest in Bury fc trying to get the highest possible place to restart. 

To be fair it seems the 2 week extension is due to no longer needing to pay the taxman NI, as no staff left. Extra time given so that smaller businesses can be repaid monies owed from the fighting fund which was raised.

5 hours ago, singe said:

The FA did not get involved until 4 weeks ago, after Bury had gone under. 

Of course, they are not directly in control, but the system is so shit as that's the cae. 

Sounds more like the select committee not understanding (surprise surprise) the structure of football and the distinct roles of the various bodies to me.  

I agree that it is odd the FA aren't involved more in this kind of thing, but that is simply not how the structure is at the moment.  They do not get involved in the running for the Premier League or EFL.  Perhaps they should be more involved, but for the select committee to be surprised is surprising.  Then again, its MP's.... they are utterly useless and lacking in any awareness or knowledge... mostly.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Well worth a read for those who think it couldn't happen here. It was bloody close. 

It was closer than close IIRC. Weren't we something like an hour away from extinction when Neil Joy and Co bought the club for a quid?

I was working abroad at the time, so may have my facts wrong, but I did just manage to get to BP for the Save our Club Sunday fundraiser.

4 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

It was closer than close IIRC. Weren't we something like an hour away from extinction when Neil Joy and Co bought the club for a quid?

I was working abroad at the time, so may have my facts wrong, but I did just manage to get to BP for the Save our Club Sunday fundraiser.

Neil joy was a crook!

14 minutes ago, underdog said:

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-committees/culture-media-and-sport/191104 Chair to Debbie Jevans EFL re football inquiry.pdf

Link to that letter. Needs careful reading but if the proposals are adopted it would mean that many, many clubs would need to get their finances in order or many more will go the way of Bury FC.

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-committees/culture-media-and-sport/191104 Chair to Debbie Jevans EFL re football inquiry.pdf

Link to that letter. Needs careful reading but if the proposals are adopted it would mean that many, many clubs would need to get their finances in order or many more will go the way of Bury FC.

On first quick read it appears that the unintended consequence may well be that quite a few would go almost immediately.  

20 hours ago, underdog said:

It states in their that Bury's fans felt powerless at the mismanagement of the club and that fans should be listened to. What if the fans are listened to? What can the EFL do? Say in our case we lodge a complaint with the EFL. They can get rid of AL, saying he's not fit and proper, but who replaces him. The EFL can't find another owner. Parliament as usual talking out of their hats.

18 hours ago, al_bro said:

It states in their that Bury's fans felt powerless at the mismanagement of the club and that fans should be listened to. What if the fans are listened to? What can the EFL do? Say in our case we lodge a complaint with the EFL. They can get rid of AL, saying he's not fit and proper, but who replaces him. The EFL can't find another owner. Parliament as usual talking out of their hats.

Trust are hoping to meet the EFL this month as part of the FSA review on contingency planning. So we will be asking about the recommendations in this report.

There was also an EWG Progress report from December 2018 on supporter engagement and there is a section in with regards to support mechanisms for Supporters Trusts. We will be asking for an update with regards to this as well.

Thanks

19 hours ago, al_bro said:

It states in their that Bury's fans felt powerless at the mismanagement of the club and that fans should be listened to.

Seem to remember most of their fans backed Stewart Day even to the point that the few doubters were intimidated at meetings!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, RoytonLatics said:

Rumours that the individual who's interested in buying Gigg Lane, has also bought Alfreton Town with the intention of relocating them to Bury, MK dons style... 

What's the thinking there?

Bury fans are going to support another Franchise FC? The original club weren't exactly awash with fans, and I can't see many of them getting on board..

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Bury fans are going to support another Franchise FC? The original club weren't exactly awash with fans, and I can't see many of them getting on board..

Probably cheaper than building a stadium from scratch in alfreton lol

8 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Probably cheaper than building a stadium from scratch in alfreton lol

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Plus Bury get Alfreton's spot in the National League North saving them the 3 promotions they would need from the NW Counties League. 

I think some Bury fans would support that team, but for them to get much further they'd need probably all of them, or their owner spending lots of cash. 

Archived