I have supported Latics since 1959 so I have some experience watching certain strikers blasting the ball into the net. It appears we are inept at putting dangerous crosses now.

I suggest a controversial move to have Mohamed Sylla at centre forward (he is a big lad and his height is wasted in midfield) alongside Segbe Azankpo (who is quick and could feed off Sylla's downward headers). Also use either Zak Mills or Urko Vera as a winger to get crosses into the box where it hurts. I suggest Vera on the wing as he has no confidence at centre forward but he must have some skill on the ball.

Please feel free to agree or disagree.   

Eddie.

7 minutes ago, Eddie Whalley said:

I have supported Latics since 1959 so I have some experience watching certain strikers blasting the ball into the net. It appears we are inept at putting dangerous crosses now.

I suggest a controversial move to have Mohamed Sylla at centre forward (he is a big lad and his height is wasted in midfield) alongside Segbe Azankpo (who is quick and could feed off Sylla's downward headers). Also use either Zak Mills or Urko Vera as a winger to get crosses into the box where it hurts. I suggest Vera on the wing as he has no confidence at centre forward but he must have some skill on the ball.

Eddie.

Barry Chuckle?

Vera on the wing :laught30:

11 minutes ago, Eddie Whalley said:

Eddie.

Oh dear Vera on the wing, he would fall over his own legs trying to cross the ball with his athletic speed!!

13 minutes ago, Eddie Whalley said:

Eddie.

I don’t know what’s worse a slow donkey like Vera on the wing, or Sylla with the technical ability of a plank as striker. 

Clearly a wind up and yet another account. 

13 minutes ago, Eddie Whalley said:

Eddie.

Mods can we delete this before Baz & Mo see it and think its a good idea?

I love how we are all so welcoming to new posters :lol:

I can actually see the logic here of putting Sylla upfront due to his pace and power. Ive no idea what putting Vera on the wing would do however I would use Zak Mills as a wide man infront of Hamer I think they could work together well.

Think sometimes the simplest solution is the best get a new striker and a more creative player in midfield and we might start looking like a team.

Mills did work well in front of Hamer and he had the fitness to get back and help defence.

Sylla is good at his job. He is a self described ‘shield’ for the back four and he plays that role well in my opinion. 

I have seen most of Vera’s minutes (I’m not sure if he played against Newport because  I didn’t go) but for the ten minuets where I have seen Vera play well, he was holding up the ball and linking up between the midfield and the strikers. He cannot play on the wing because he clearly isn’t fit enough and for the job he was good at for ten mins Chris O’Grady is better.

We have great crossers if the ball in Nepo and Branger but they spend too much time messing around in the corner. Perhaps that is because  we often don’t have anyone in the box (hence I agree that we need a tall lump up front). Mills and Hamer also have a great cross on them.

I’d rather we signed players to help Wilson and Azankpo. They will both score given the chance.

17 minutes ago, LittlePhilHill said:

Mills did work well in front of Hamer and he had the fitness to get back and help defence.

Sylla is good at his job. He is a self described ‘shield’ for the back four and he plays that role well in my opinion. 

I have seen most of Vera’s minutes (I’m not sure if he played against Newport because  I didn’t go) but for the ten minuets where I have seen Vera play well, he was holding up the ball and linking up between the midfield and the strikers. He cannot play on the wing because he clearly isn’t fit enough and for the job he was good at for ten mins Chris O’Grady is better.

We have great crossers if the ball in Nepo and Branger but they spend too much time messing around in the corner. Perhaps that is because  we often don’t have anyone in the box (hence I agree that we need a tall lump up front). Mills and Hamer also have a great cross on them.

I’d rather we signed players to help Wilson and Azankpo. They will both score given the chance.

They might score 8-10 tops in a season. For their combined wages you can sign a Doyle who gets 20+ and brings the quality up in others.

6 minutes ago, rosa said:

Vera on the wing, Sefil up front, Maouche at right back and Wheater as holding midfielder. Sod it, we might as well. 

Barry to the FLG, Simon Wood to Sporting Director, Mo on iFollow commentary, Abdallah to the Family Stand tuck shop.... .....

24 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Barry to the FLG, Simon Wood to Sporting Director, Mo on iFollow commentary, Abdallah to the Family Stand tuck shop.... .....

You as communications officer! 

5 minutes ago, rosa said:

You as communications officer! 

That'd be amazing :grin:

Millennial OAFC fans (and older ones who should know better) "All we ask for is trans-par-en-cee"

Communications Officer "You are entitled to no such thing you cranks - what you should be asking for is 3 points on Saturday. Now fuck off. Yours, OAFC"

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

That'd be amazing :grin:

Millennial OAFC fans (and older ones who should know better) "All we ask for is trans-par-en-cee"

Communications Officer "You are entitled to no such thing you cranks - what you should be asking for is 3 points on Saturday. Now fuck off. Yours, OAFC"

tumblr_phxcbvndKF1qlikls_540.jpg

3 hours ago, LittlePhilHill said:

Chill out you !! Rick Holden was a great crosser of a ball, the last really good un was David Eyres. 

Nobody in this team is great at anything. Some of them are adequate at their respective jobs and that’s about it. 

Archived