main stand ?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Some old timer once told me that the reason the Main Stand stopped "a little short" at both ends, was because its completion was halted with the onset of war. 

Think that might have been my grandad, he persuaded me that Oldham were "good once" so I believed him and joined the cause - sure I saw him laughing outside that day as he hadn't attended Boundary Park regularly in years!

If it was true what that old timer/ my grandad said - what about Carlisle's main stand that extends past the pitch at one end - is this because there was no threat of war with Germany when it was built?    

According to The Football Grounds Of Great Britain by Simon Inglis, "The present main stand was begun in 1913 but not completed until 1920 , although it was intended to add wings as finances alllowed. One of the highest attendances was not for football but for the Prince Of Wales's visit in 1921. The main stand is a short, blue painted stand, oddly angled to the west as if it were meant to continue to the goal-line but could not quite reach. The roof appears to have bowed with the effort."

Fred the ghost of the Chaddy End also gets a mention.

5 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

If it was true what that old timer/ my grandad said - what about Carlisle's main stand that extends past the pitch at one end - is this because there was no threat of war with Germany when it was built?    

Carlisle's main stand is lopsided because Knighton wanted to move the pitch 10 yards, and built the stand accordingly. 

Pitch remained where it was... 

3 hours ago, TamarBridgeLatic said:

According to The Football Grounds Of Great Britain by Simon Inglis, "The present main stand was begun in 1913 but not completed until 1920 , although it was intended to add wings as finances alllowed. One of the highest attendances was not for football but for the Prince Of Wales's visit in 1921. The main stand is a short, blue painted stand, oddly angled to the west as if it were meant to continue to the goal-line but could not quite reach. The roof appears to have bowed with the effort."

Fred the ghost of the Chaddy End also gets a mention.

Is Fred still haunting us today?

8 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Carlisle's main stand is lopsided because Knighton wanted to move the pitch 10 yards, and built the stand accordingly. 

Pitch remained where it was... 

Similar situation at Woves. Built the new stand about a pitch distance from the pitch. The plan was to move the whole stadium across but it took a while. Very strange set up when we went there for the opening match in 91. Only 3 sides in use with one  stand miles from the pitch. Cracking atmosphere in the end we shared with the Wolves fans and what a match. Thank you Marshy. 

1 hour ago, Magic Mikey said:

Similar situation at Woves. Built the new stand about a pitch distance from the pitch. The plan was to move the whole stadium across but it took a while. Very strange set up when we went there for the opening match in 91. Only 3 sides in use with one  stand miles from the pitch. Cracking atmosphere in the end we shared with the Wolves fans and what a match. Thank you Marshy. 

My favourite bit of the vhs from that season was when Marshall was asked about his best goal. “ Errrrr, there’s been so many. Nah probably me sheckond goal at wolves”

30 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

The old girl.

There's no finer place to watch a game of association football.

It's great, unique and loads of other positive adjectives apply. But frankly I don't feel safe in there. 

11 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Seriously?

Absolutely seriously. Loads of wood, bits falling off all over the place, very narrow gangways. I'm not going in there. 

And for anyone over about 5'10'' spectacularly uncomfortable. 

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Absolutely seriously. Loads of wood, bits falling off all over the place, very narrow gangways. I'm not going in there. 

It is a fine place to watch football, loads of character, give me the main stand anyday over some of the shiny new mirror image stands. 

1 minute ago, disjointed said:

It is a fine place to watch football, loads of character, give me the main stand anyday over some of the shiny new mirror image stands. 

It's a great view. I'd love to see it knocked down and rebuilt in very similar style. 

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I'm 6'1 and I'll agree on the comfort, I come home with dints in my shins below the knees. Wouldn't change it for the world though

Archived