Plymouth (a)

8 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Cheers Bosh. Didn't go on Saturday but sounds like we are improving and an honest and informative summary.

I would question though but we've had worse squads than what we currently have...

I cant remember in the 40 years I've been watching us, when we have had a worse squad than we have today as our league position confirms...but slowly slowly!!

We won’t know if it’s a worse squad yet. It’s far too early IMO. If we finish higher than last season then that squad would be worse for starters. 

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Banide does seem to be making an impact on the training ground (which I still believe is the only place he's allowed to).

This old chestnut again...

The management and the squad spend all week on the training ground building on team play, honing skills and developing set plays. It gives Banide and his assistant, Benaraibi, the opportunity to see which players are on form and look confident, which players may be carrying a niggling injury and also how players react to and recover from the preceding game. They work with individuals to address specific areas that need working on. 

It allows them to  choose which players are in the best place to start the next game. Hence we had Morais and Branger being brought straight in with Smith making the bench. 

In my view, the effort put in on the training ground during the week has a huge impact on what happens on the pitch (and you state that there is improvement in our play). If, as you infer above, you believe that Banide has no impact on the team come Match day then I think you are being unfair to the management team and, frankly, wrong. If you have evidence of this alleged interference then please share.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

How did McHale go?  I was a bit surprised he got the nod ahead of Smith

Were you though?  On his playing record there is no way there should have been signed so one assumes some ulterior motives. Perhaps the same ones could be at play regarding appearances on the pitch.

On 9/8/2019 at 8:20 AM, Chris15Arm said:

This is the point I made pre season. You have just said Baxter is class because he showed flashes of brilliance in maybe three games. Yet you say maouche is dog shit because he only shows flashes of brilliance.....

2018/19 League Stats;

Jose Baxter

Started - 13 games

Appeared from the bench - 16 games

Unused sub - 3 games

Total (made the squad) - 32 games

Completed 90 minutes - 4 games

Total minutes played 1,335

4 goals, 2 assists, 2 yellows & 1 red.

Mohamed Maouche

Started - 26 games

Appeared from the bench - 8 games

Unused sub - 9 games

Total (made the squad) - 43 games

Completed 90 minutes - 21 games

Total minutes played 2,422

4 goals, 3 assists, 2 yellows & 1 red.

17 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

2018/19 League Stats;

Jose Baxter

Started - 13 games

Appeared from the bench - 16 games

Unused sub - 3 games

Total (made the squad) - 32 games

Completed 90 minutes - 4 games

Total minutes played 1,335

4 goals, 2 assists, 2 yellows & 1 red.

Mohamed Maouche

Started - 26 games

Appeared from the bench - 8 games

Unused sub - 9 games

Total (made the squad) - 43 games

Completed 90 minutes - 21 games

Total minutes played 2,422

4 goals, 3 assists, 2 yellows & 1 red.

That in itself should tell you everything. He's kept his place in the side more than Baxter. Stayed from injury more than Baxter. And if u added chances created but not scored by someone else I'm pretty sure maouche would be miles ahead. But my point was that people rave about Baxter but put maouche down when they're virtually the same situation of highly talented but not showing it too often. 

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Were you though?  On his playing record there is no way there should have been signed so one assumes some ulterior motives. Perhaps the same ones could be at play regarding appearances on the pitch.

I would have expected the pacy winger with very recent, pretty successful experience at this level would be the obvious choice to replace a winger against a dangerous team like Plymouth.  Not the guy with no discernible pedigree whatsoever making his league debut at a crucial stage of an important game.  

So yes, I was surprised.  For about 2 seconds until I gave it a bit of thought and came to similar conclusions.

8 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

That in itself should tell you everything. He's kept his place in the side more than Baxter. Stayed from injury more than Baxter. And if u added chances created but not scored by someone else I'm pretty sure maouche would be miles ahead. But my point was that people rave about Baxter but put maouche down when they're virtually the same situation of highly talented but not showing it too often. 

I’m not against MM at all, in fact I saw something in him from very early on. However MM at his best versus JB at his best isn’t even , IMO a contest at all. MM would never have made a Premier League appearance under any circumstances. I appreciate it was an awful long time ago but it still shows up a gaping difference in natural talent and ability. I really hope Jose sorts himself out, as after all his first stint was a joy to behold in what has been a pretty awful twentyish years. 

Love U Jose Baxter Baby love 💕 

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

How did McHale go?  I was a bit surprised he got the nod ahead of Smith (pace on the counter etc), so interested to see how he did in the last few minutes.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

23 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I would have expected the pacy winger with very recent, pretty successful experience at this level would be the obvious choice to replace a winger against a dangerous team like Plymouth.  Not the guy with no discernible pedigree whatsoever making his league debut at a crucial stage of an important game.  

So yes, I was surprised.  For about 2 seconds until I gave it a bit of thought and came to similar conclusions.

Or it could be that with 88 minutes on the clock, Banide decided to go for a player who was better suited to help out defensively as we were under pressure from the home side at that point? 

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Or it could be that with 88 minutes on the clock, Banide decided to go for a player who was better suited to help out defensively as we were under pressure from the home side at that point? 

Maybe so, but Mills would have been better suited to that role no?

My initial question was genuine.

55 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

and a non-league winger was the best option...

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

From what I've heard from some involved at FC United, I think it's fair to say they were pretty surprised about him getting a contract with us.

If fans of clubs every player apart from Jose Baxter went to from us, looked at this forum or twitter they'd think they signed a bag of shite tbf

3 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

If fans of clubs every player apart from Jose Baxter went to from us, looked at this forum or twitter they'd think they signed a bag of shite tbf

Not sure how that has any relevance to what I said.

2 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

....or, you could deduce he positively affected the game every 223 minutes vs 346 for Maouche. I think it's fair to say both stats are pretty woeful..... it's the just that the slightly worse one was offered a new contract, whereas the slightly better one wasn't. :mmm:

Couple this with the fact that the slightly better one, has a past that indicates he's reached a level well above last season's stats and the slightly worse one.... well, that was his best season ever..... and you can see why Maouche gets in the neck, cos he's sh1t.

It's been said before, but the big problem with Maouche is that, whilst he has talent and picks out a defence splitting pass a couple of times a game, he goes missing far too much and sulks far too much. His whole body language at times is completely wrong and, having lost the captaincy (which, I think, he pretty much demanded) , I reckon he's sulking even more. Having said that, his flick on for Branger's goal was pure class, so he CAN do it. He just isn't able to do it on anything like a regular basis. He's a luxury we can't afford IMO, and I'd have him on the bench. 

1 minute ago, Bristolatic said:

It's been said before, but the big problem with Maouche is that, whilst he has talent and picks out a defence splitting pass a couple of times a game, he goes missing far too much and sulks far too much. His whole body language at times is completely wrong and, having lost the captaincy (which, I think, he pretty much demanded) , I reckon he's sulking even more. Having said that, his flick on for Branger's goal was pure class, so he CAN do it. He just isn't able to do it on anything like a regular basis. He's a luxury we can't afford IMO, and I'd have him on the bench. 

That's why he's in L2 and not the Championship or the top end of the French L2.

26 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

In my opinion both him and Baxter could well do it at a higher level, or even for us, if they had players on the same wavelength to them. They can't play a defence splitting pass if noone else is thinking as far ahead

Devon and Cornwall police are investigating the incident with the steward, which is being reported as the steward being punched first. 

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/plymouth-argyle-oldham-police-assault-3297419.amp?__twitter_impression=true 

If you saw the whole incident I would encourage you to get in touch. 

Archived