Plymouth (a)

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

Absolutely correct. I think Scholes and Banide were/are very limited in what they could/can do.

I am also led to believe that 2 players that Scholes stated he didn't want, were offered "pre-contracts" back in February when Scholes was manager, behind his back. Those two players both now have contracts at Oldham. One is Iacovitti 

I think there were actually three, one of them already under contract. And, yes, the other two are both now here.

On 9/10/2019 at 5:30 PM, boundaryblue80 said:

Yes Dave...I've seen your comments. After 6 games you've already written off the likes of Wilson and Desire...and the idea of coaching a group of players over a season (18 changes...overnight success expected then?)

Good on you 👍

As last season ended all clubs had the same time to plan for the season,what is called a level playing field. What is it with this fallacy of waiting for the season to develop to see how well we will do.The facts are,to date we are third worst in the league and the playing field is no longer level.There are no reasons to suggest that we will do better or worse relatively than any of the other teams in the league. They are also doing wondrous things on the training ground preparing for matches.

On 9/9/2019 at 11:24 AM, TheBigDog said:

This old chestnut again...

The management and the squad spend all week on the training ground building on team play, honing skills and developing set plays. It gives Banide and his assistant, Benaraibi, the opportunity to see which players are on form and look confident, which players may be carrying a niggling injury and also how players react to and recover from the preceding game. They work with individuals to address specific areas that need working on. 

It allows them to  choose which players are in the best place to start the next game. Hence we had Morais and Branger being brought straight in with Smith making the bench. 

In my view, the effort put in on the training ground during the week has a huge impact on what happens on the pitch (and you state that there is improvement in our play). If, as you infer above, you believe that Banide has no impact on the team come Match day then I think you are being unfair to the management team and, frankly, wrong. If you have evidence of this alleged interference then please share.

I don't think I worded want I meant particularly well there. 

I think that Banide has some impact as to what happens on the pitch, albeit a reduced one compared to most head coaches or managers in the top 4 divisions due to the influence Mo wants to have.  I will praise and criticise Mo and Banide in equal measure although I think Banide should mostly be judged on how the players develop individually over his time in charge.

I actually have sympathy for Banide because I think he will take the criticism for results when the responsibility lies with both him and Mo.  I no longer think it can be called interference because Mo has an official role at the club (whereas with previous managers it was).

I don't agree with our management structure and I'd prefer it to be done differently, but I can see how it's starting to come together on the pitch and accept that it's what's going to happen with the Lemsagams in charge...as long as it's sustainable for the club off the pitch.  That last bit is what makes or breaks it for me.

Archived