The Trust - Focus on 'Al in' or 'Al out'?

What should 'The Trust' focus on?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to see 'The Trust' approach the situation as of right now?

• Work with Al and try to improve the relationship between Al & the Fans
    • Work on removing Al and seeking potential new owners?

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

They sit around the board and do what exactly ? They are to scared to do any form of protest as they are frightened to lose there seat around the table. Well they don’t have to give up the 3% but why won’t they start acting on behalf now of the actual fans rather than believing the bull shot that AL continually feeds them. 

I listened to the All Things Latics podcast this morning, Simon Brooke made some interesting points about the Trust. 

Not all positive either. 

It it is worth a listen if you are able to, as offers a decent perspective. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Theoutsider said:

I listened to the All Things Latics podcast this morning, Simon Brooke made some interesting points about the Trust. 

Not all positive either. 

Cheers, shall have a listen when I’m on my drive home.

38 minutes ago, Theoutsider said:

Not all positive either. 

Just listened to the podcast

Every Latics fan should listen to it and maybe the position and strategy the Trust has adopted might be more appreciated.

Every single supporter should chuck in a £10r to join and get the Trust membership numbers significantly up 

:chubb:

41 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Just listened to the podcast

Every Latics fan should listen to it and maybe the position and strategy the Trust has adopted might be more appreciated.

Every single supporter should chuck in a £10r to join and get the Trust membership numbers significantly up 

:chubb:

If the Trust comprised of 1000 members and not 300 members?

• What do you think the Trust would do differently?
  • What do you think Al would do differently?

1 hour ago, sjk2008 said:

I am not convinced that the numbers would make any difference in respect of either aspect, as AL just does not seem to care at all. 

I understand why (I think) The Trust are trying to keep him on side as otherwise presumably he will turf them out (if he is obliged to give them a seat on the board or not), so  being more.... aggressive really achieves nothing. 

Applying some pressure via alternative means seems sensible, hence a separate supporters group  (along the lines of Danny Taylor is trying to do -  professional/respectful in his approach) also has its merits for me, but I do accept why it can’t be lead by Trust. 

FSA reviewed the Trust the other week. They confirmed that we are better position having the entitlement at board level. Just to confirm that it is not a position of goodwill, it is a legal entitlement with equal parity voting at board level. Only the Trust can nominate the rep to the board, the position or person can only be removed by the Trust. This is written in the clubs Articles of association registered at companies house.

Edit: forgot to say, that is why when Al asked the board at the time to resign when he took over, it did not include the Trust rep we have a legal right to be on the board of OAFC. Also when the Club held an EGM in May, to remove Simon COrney as a board director. There was only two voters registered to  cast their votes. Owner and Trust rep. 

FSA confirmed that the questions we have asked the club are on track and suggested additional ones in light of Bury and Bolton. As the club statement last week indicates they are keen to forge better link with the trust...so we expect the information will be with us soon. 

We also discussed the relationship with the landlord via the ACV and potential future partnership with the FLG....we are grenade juggling on three fronts. 

We also had some feedback that we need to take on board and adapt too and we will need help to do it. We are at least two people down, one is company secretary and we hope to fill that position now.

There are some of us that have survived Corney and we had high hopes for the new regime......we wanted to be doing other stuff now, fun fan funded stuff, but it seems we can't take our eyes off those grenades in case one goes off. Club, Landlords, FLG.

It is not easy, a volunteer role that is only supposed to be a couple of hours a week max, can turn into several days worth. We have to prioritise and delegate time when we have it and between us. Like meeting the FSA on a Friday, meant time off work for 5 people, 1 person travelled up from London and another hobbled in on crutches, it was that important that we meet them right after they met the EFL. Stuff that goes under the radar sometimes.

19 hours ago, Theoutsider said:

I am not convinced that the numbers would make any difference in respect of either aspect, as AL just does not seem to care at all. 

I understand why (I think) The Trust are trying to keep him on side as otherwise presumably he will turf them out (if he is obliged to give them a seat on the board or not), so  being more.... aggressive really achieves nothing. 

Applying some pressure via alternative means seems sensible, hence a separate supporters group  (along the lines of Danny Taylor is trying to do -  professional/respectful in his approach) also has its merits for me, but I do accept why it can’t be lead by Trust. 

There used to be an indepandant supporters group, Si brooke mentioned it in the interview. 

I think it was run by Latics and England.

It would be less shacked as such and I it is mentioned in the SD document I have posted on another thread

1 hour ago, sjk2008 said:

Underdog has responded but I would add a few points:

If the Trust had a 1000+ membership it should give it access to more volunteers to bring additional skills into their team, allowing them to be more active and I would think more assertive within the club. 

AL you would think, would be more open to being positively influenced by a supporters Trust that if it felt the need to protest,  could switch off the match day revenues of more than 1000+ supporters. 

Cash is King to any business owner and having a Trust representative on the board with the backing of the majority of our supporters, for me is an absolute game changer. 

37 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Underdog has responded but I would add a few points:

If the Trust had a 1000+ membership it should give it access to more volunteers to bring additional skills into their team, allowing them to be more active and I would think more assertive within the club. 

AL you would think, would be more open to being positively influenced by a supporters Trust that if it felt the need to protest,  could switch off the match day revenues of more than 1000+ supporters. 

Cash is King to any business owner and having a Trust representative on the board with the backing of the majority of our supporters, for me is an absolute game changer. 

I honestly don't think Al would give a toss about that.

9 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

I honestly don't think Al would give a toss about that.

Can we agree that he’s more likely to listen to a Trust representative with the backing of 1000+ membership than he is a Trust representative with a 300 membership 🤔

1 hour ago, underdog said:

FSA reviewed the Trust the other week. They confirmed that we are better position having the entitlement at board level. Just to confirm that it is not a position of goodwill, it is a legal entitlement with equal parity voting at board level. Only the Trust can nominate the rep to the board, the position or person can only be removed by the Trust. This is written in the clubs Articles of association registered at companies house.

FSA confirmed that the questions we have asked the club are on track and suggested additional ones in light of Bury and Bolton. As the club statement last week indicates they are keen to forge better link with the trust...so we expect the information will be with us soon. 

We also discussed the relationship with the landlord via the ACV and potential future partnership with the FLG....we are grenade juggling on three fronts. 

We also had some feedback that we need to take on board and adapt too and we will need help to do it. We are at least two people down, one is company secretary and we hope to fill that position now.

There are some of us that have survived Corney and we had high hopes for the new regime......we wanted to be doing other stuff now, fun fan funded stuff, but it seems we can't take our eyes off those grenades in case one goes off. Club, Landlords, FLG.

It is not easy, a volunteer role that is only supposed to be a couple of hours a week max, can turn into several days worth. We have to prioritise and delegate time when we have it and between us. Like meeting the FSA on a Friday, meant time off work for 5 people, 1 person travelled up from London and another hobbled in on crutches, it was that important that we meet them right after they met the EFL. Stuff that goes under the radar sometimes.

The owner also said in last weeks statement that he looked forward to working with Laurent Banide for the rest of the season.

Like I said I think you are in a no win situation here. You can't overthrow him but I don't think you or anyonelse can work with him or change him, hes a lost cause. 

There does also seem to be an attitude of "I'm unhappy and you sort it out" from some people on here. The trust doesn't have the strength to go war with him. The FLG might but we know little about them.

48 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Can we agree that he’s more likely to listen to a Trust representative with the backing of 1000+ membership than he is a Trust representative with a 300 membership 🤔

I would like to agree and he should listen to a bigger and therefore theoretically more powerful group. 

Any sensible person would would pay more attention. But this is an owner who seemingly doesn’t care that attendances are down by 25%,  that a number of sponsors have pulled out,  that he isn’t getting income from 10 (ish) boxes in the North stand. 

His PR is appalling, he has a professional media company on hand who would help him effectively FOR FREE but he largely ignores them as well. 

Don’t know what his kryptonite is, but seemingly it is not the prospect of lower income levels or unhappy fans. 

5 minutes ago, Theoutsider said:

Don’t know what his kryptonite is, but seemingly it is not the prospect of lower income levels or unhappy fans. 

Good post Theoutsider

Unless he has some Oil wells tucked away, his kryptonite will be £cash. 

Unconfirmed reports have him having to tip in c£200k/month already.

34 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The owner also said in last weeks statement that he looked forward to working with Laurent Banide for the rest of the season.

Like I said I think you are in a no win situation here. You can't overthrow him but I don't think you or anyonelse can work with him or change him, hes a lost cause. 

There does also seem to be an attitude of "I'm unhappy and you sort it out" from some people on here. The trust doesn't have the strength to go war with him. The FLG might but we know little about them.

Youve nailed it here GlossopLatic

I think the Trust are doing all they can with what they currently have available as in size of membership, volunteers and funds. 

Disappointed we have had no updates from the FLG but tbh I struggle to see how theyre going to raise the £7m to buy the stadium and have no idea of their capabilities in paying off the associated loans in raising the £7m 

7 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Listened to the podcast, basically the trust are there to be an alarm bell if something was to go wrong. Based on that, it’s essentially a pointless outfit in terms of creating a protest or working against the regime. 

In its current format and size of membership, I agree its ability to effectively protest is very limited.

However, being able to switch off the spend of a membership of 1000+ supporters, for me is an entirely different matter

Makes you wonder how many supporters the club really has 🤔

No doubt we could take 30,000 for a day out for a Wembley Final but cant inspire those very supporters to chuck in £10 to join the Trust and support what could just be our best chance of keeping our club 

55 minutes ago, tGWB said:

In its current format and size of membership, I agree its ability to effectively protest is very limited.

However, being able to switch off the spend of a membership of 1000+ supporters, for me is an entirely different matter

Makes you wonder how many supporters the club really has 🤔

No doubt we could take 30,000 for a day out for a Wembley Final but cant inspire those very supporters to chuck in £10 to join the Trust and support what could just be our best chance of keeping our club 

I can not go and still keep the £10 in my pocket though. Don't need the trust to organise a boycott - they had their chance at that for Mansfield but bottled it.

55 minutes ago, tGWB said:

... to chuck in £10 to join the Trust and support what could just be our best chance of keeping our club 

They wouldn't be able to "switch off" the spend of 1000+ supporters (if they had them as members) - people would make their own minds up, not simply follow what some Trust rep said.

The Trust does not represent the best chance of keeping our club - in fact, I`d say it has no influence at all in that regard.

We all hope and pray that the FLG does (money rules and all that) but that's all very worryingly quiet.

1 hour ago, tGWB said:

Good post Theoutsider

Unless he has some Oil wells tucked away, his kryptonite will be £cash. 

Unconfirmed reports have him having to tip in c£200k/month already.

That would seem to be the logical thing, I agree. 

The bit I don’t get is that he does not seem to give a monkeys that majority of people are unhappy and are giving him less and less cash??  

Unless you have plenty of money surely you change your ways? Failing this you are just damaging your “investment”? 

11 hours ago, wiseowl said:

They wouldn't be able to "switch off" the spend of 1000+ supporters (if they had them as members) - people would make their own minds up, not simply follow what some Trust rep said.

The Trust does not represent the best chance of keeping our club - in fact, I`d say it has no influence at all in that regard.

We all hope and pray that the FLG does (money rules and all that) but that's all very worryingly quiet.

So your view in short wiseowl:

You dont see the 3% shareholding and the access to the clubs finances as being helpful

You dont see a significantly larger Trust membership being able to gain greater leverage with our current and future owner

You dont see a Trust membership of 1000+  supporters boycotting games being a threat if the clubs circumstances deteriorate even further

But youve got your fingers crossed that the FLG will come up with the £7m to buy the stadium and manage the OEC to contribute financially to the  club who they clearly ‘dislike’ the current owner and who they cant get agreement with  to use their services within a building in our ground 

Whilst respecting your opinion, I reckon you’re miles off the mark 

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Your are right...scary isn't it........Lets face it a few seasons ago we only managed to rustle up £27k for a scoreboard....how the hell are we are going to rustle up potential  millions to buy a club owner out (if the club was for sale), or secure our home BP with the FLG too?...A weakness the FSA picked up upon. They have offered suggestions and contacts, we now have to find the time to do it. Hence we will be looking at help on key projects soon.

We have a legal right to ensure the club the is being run in a fit a proper manner, our membership with the fSA now means we are not alone and have access to legal advice if we have to make those tough decisions....something we did not have under COrney

The "I am unhappy you sort it out", i can relate to.  well we can only do so much, fans expect us to swing in, happy to know we are there and expect us to act. Yet struggle to be able to support us with fundraising events, volunteer to join us or even bother to attend the AGM to help shape/change/mould the Trust.....thats not a pop its just he way things are that we all feel totally deflated on all fronts on and off the pitch....a loss of identity. 

At the end of the day, The Club is not for sale, our home BP is.....FLG want to buy it as club owner is not interested. Securing BP first, secures our home for a football team to play in the borough.

The Trust could potentially have a stake in both for the fans

Archived