Grimsby (H)

Just got back from the game. 

It was a poor game but we did create chances. Wheater missed with a header and Maouche should have scored second half which would have meant we won comfortably. Ultimately though it was poor defending that cost us the game. Just as at Plymouth last week, we failed to challenge a free header at the back post.

Iacovitti was given the runaround by Hanson and Fage, who attacked well, is out of position at left back. Hamer had a decent game both in defence and when pushing forward. Further forward Branger was not really involved and Maouche was poor. And for all his running, Azankpo did not look like scoring. A great cross for the second goal though!

Standout performers were Missilou and Morais with a decent late cameo from Smith.

A game we should have won.  

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Hands on said:

A game lost by the lame duck Maouche. Lucky to score from a Maouche duffed corner. Nepo is history- you can’t tell it as it is at Oldham. 

Hallelujah. Bin saying this for yonks. Absolute passenger..... and if he’s still earning £4K a week.... dodgy. As. Fk.

On 9/11/2019 at 7:31 PM, kowenicki said:

He played there last year and was decent. 

He played there in the two recent Curaçao games. 

He’s totally wasted at left back. A waste of time having your best winger and best crosser of a ball spending most of his time in his own half. 

3 hours ago, Hands on said:

A game lost by the lame duck Maouche. Lucky to score from a Maouche duffed corner. Nepo is history- you can’t tell it as it is at Oldham. 

The game wasn’t lost by Maouche. It wasn’t lost at all actually, it was a draw!!

Our problem is that our striker (whichever one plays up front on his own) does not score. We rely on midfielders and defenders to get our goals. We’ll never score enough goals to win games consistently when we have mostly

sub-standard strikers playing up front on their own.

3 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

The game wasn’t lost by Maouche. It wasn’t lost at all actually, it was a draw!!

Our problem is that our striker (whichever one plays up front on his own) does not score. We rely on midfielders and defenders to get our goals. We’ll never score enough goals to win games consistently when we have mostly

sub-standard strikers playing up front on their own.

Maouche makes Dan Gardner look like Pirlo 

11 minutes ago, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

Not sure I completely agree. Grimsby looked like they would make a decent rugby league or American football team at times today and the Ref let them get away with it.

I think we gave as good as we got!  Sylla for one should have gone in the book a lot earlier than he did...

7 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Id say Missilou has been better Sylla has given about 10 fouls away and still hasn't been booked.

Azankpo is getting bullied he can't play with his back to goal. He needs bslls down the sides of the CBs.

We are defending well though but we need to find a way to get up the pitch though our passing needs to be better out from the back.

Fair play. Not a massive Mussilou fan but he was good today. I just think our three best players are maouch, fage, sylla in that order. Wank that they all play the same poistion.

wheaters fault against Colchester but fuck me he was immense today.

we just haven’t got a striker and as much as I hate this league, it’s killing us 

14 minutes ago, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

Really? I don't agree. Perhaps if we'd have done as much as them we'd have won. There were some absolutely blatant 'professional' fouls where they just took our guy out when beaten. Near end of the game there was a body check and a push where the Ref rightly played on but then once the move had finished he didn't book them....

Meh, maybe you're right. I remember thinking the ref had left his cards in the changing room at one point, with respect to both sides. 

I agree if we'd done what Grimsby did, we probably would have won, though. The difference is they were a hell of a lot more streetwise with their fouls than we were.

We played some nice, tidy football today, which is ultimately a waste of time at this level if you can't do the gritty stuff too..

27 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Fair play. Not a massive Mussilou fan but he was good today. I just think our three best players are maouch, fage, sylla in that order. Wank that they all play the same poistion.

wheaters fault against Colchester but fuck me he was immense today.

we just haven’t got a striker and as much as I hate this league, it’s killing us 

Maouche best player?

He was crap again. Lucky with corner for first (Hamer created the goal). Constantly gave the ball away and for their first goal he never even bothered to challenge for a header which led to them scoring (he was never going to win it but an attempt to win it would of meant a different outcome in the following 30 seconds). 

Drop Maouche and sign a big, half- decent striker to play up front with Desire and we're not far off an alright team, based on today..

Woods didn't really have a save to make. Our issue was how quickly the ball kept coming back. 

If you go 2-0 up at home against a team like Grimsby and can’t close out the game, it’s going to be a long season. I made a conscious decision not to go today, and unfortunately 22 years of Groundhog Day, save for a couple of seasons, has finally worn me down. Doubt I’ll be back for many more this season, it’s a chore now and has been for a long time 

5 hours ago, doctor evil said:

Mouche is a luxury player. There will be times when his impact isn't massive and he's not going to be sprinting all over the place (thought he put a shift in though tbh). But I want him in the team because he has quality. He's a game changer.

Hes not a game changer at all. How many games has he actually changed?

We really need to stop talking about him like he's somekind of mercurial talent he's not. He doesn't create or score enough goals for a number 10 hes a very ordinary footballer in league 2.

If your not going to run around tackling everything then ok not everyone does that. But if hes not then when we get the ball you have to be more of a threat and he simply isnt.

He also shouldn't be on set pieces Morais is a far far better set piece taker.

8 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

If you go 2-0 up at home against a team like Grimsby and can’t close out the game, it’s going to be a long season. I made a conscious decision not to go today, and unfortunately 22 years of Groundhog Day, save for a couple of seasons, has finally worn me down. Doubt I’ll be back for many more this season, it’s a chore now and has been for a long time 

" A team like Grimsby".....who the hell do you think you are. That was our worst performance of the season but we still took a point off you. What ever glorious past you thought you once had it's well and truly behind you sunshine!!

14 hours ago, Hands on said:

A game lost by the lame duck Maouche. Lucky to score from a Maouche duffed corner.

13 hours ago, disjointed said:

Look on the bright side, Maouche has 1 good game in 10, so one of the next 2 games is going to be the one to be at. 

10 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Hallelujah. Bin saying this for yonks. Absolute passenger..... and if he’s still earning £4K a week.... dodgy. As. Fk.

10 hours ago, ddot_m said:

Maouche makes Dan Gardner look like Pirlo 

8 hours ago, RobOAFC said:

Maouche best player?

He was crap again.

8 hours ago, JoeP said:

Drop Maouche and sign a big, half- decent striker to play up front with Desire and we're not far off an alright team

So... what is this obsession with one player? I’ve called it on here before that he is a ‘boo boy’ for some and that he gets an inordinate amount of criticism.

I agree that Yesterday was probably his worst game for us this season but this criticism has been going on for some time now. Yes he missed a good chance to make it three and didn’t really make the most of his involvement in the game. But he was always involved and over the first eight games of the season he has been an important player in the middle for us.

However Wheater also missed an easy chance to score and, for him, had a poor game. The defence in general looked shaky throughout and failed to deal with the aerial barrage. In fact there were a few out there who had poor games but, for whatever reason, there is this fascination to have a go at one player.

Is it because he was allegedly earning 4K a week last season? (There is only rumour and hearsay on this amount in any case).

Is it because he was given the captaincy? 

It’s good to see that some who have posted in this thread are more reasoned in their comments and have a more balanced view.

We dropped two points yesterday because we failed to take our chances and we failed to defend the high ball. Simple as.

9 hours ago, JoeP said:

Meh, maybe you're right. I remember thinking the ref had left his cards in the changing room at one point, with respect to both sides. 

I agree if we'd done what Grimsby did, we probably would have won, though. The difference is they were a hell of a lot more streetwise with their fouls than we were.

We played some nice, tidy football today, which is ultimately a waste of time at this level if you can't do the gritty stuff too..

They weren't streetwise, they were blatant. Getting yourself booked for throwing the ball into the ground is less than wise. Ref couldn't wait to get his card out for that but didn't once go back to book their players making clearly bookable fouls where advantage was played. 

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

So... what is this obsession with one player? I’ve called it on here before that he is a ‘boo boy’ for some and that he gets an inordinate amount of criticism.

I agree that Yesterday was probably his worst game for us this season but this criticism has been going on for some time now. Yes he missed a good chance to make it three and didn’t really make the most of his involvement in the game. But he was always involved and over the first eight games of the season he has been an important player in the middle for us.

However Wheater also missed an easy chance to score and, for him, had a poor game. The defence in general looked shaky throughout and failed to deal with the aerial barrage. In fact there were a few out there who had poor games but, for whatever reason, there is this fascination to have a go at one player.

Is it because he was allegedly earning 4K a week last season? (There is only rumour and hearsay on this amount in any case).

Is it because he was given the captaincy? 

It’s good to see that some who have posted in this thread are more reasoned in their comments and have a more balanced view.

We dropped two points yesterday because we failed to take our chances and we failed to defend the high ball. Simple as.

Very good post! Apart from the last bit, I don’t think we created much..again.  Season over!

11 hours ago, OAFC1984 said:

At the risk of a ban - you’re a cock

8 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Because of relative optimism about the team. 

Crawl back under your rock. 

Is this an online rap battle?

13 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

But he was always involved and over the first eight games of the season he has been an important player in the middle for us.

Yes, he's been an important player for a team that's won one game in eight..

I don't think he's a bad player, he would just be the one I would sacrifice for a big striker that the team is crying out for. 

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Yes, he's been an important player for a team that's won one game in eight..

I don't think he's a bad player, he would just be the one I would sacrifice for a big striker that the team is crying out for. 

As has Wheater, Woods, Sylla, Hamer... etc. Thanks for reinforcing the message 👍

7 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

As has Wheater, Woods, Sylla, Hamer... etc. Thanks for reinforcing the message 👍

But you weren't talking about them.. you were talking about Maouche. You were saying Maouche had been an important player, indicating that others hadn't been. 

Archived