Grimsby (H)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maouche had two decent chances but didn't hit the target.  He made a poor defensive header that resulted in their first goal.  He gave away the free kick that resulted in their second goal.  It felt like a lost game to me.

He didn't touch the ball in the first ten minutes and I only saw him make one run back to help defend.  He is a petulant waste of space who might win you a game every other month.  Not good enough.

We have 6 points from 24 and on course for about 35 come May which would certainly put us in the relegation frame.

As poor as he is, but a big lump like Hanson would have made all the difference for us today.

The fact that we’ve signed Azankpo and Wilson and are playing them as lone strikers is baffling and don’t start me on Vera!

I cannot believe we aren’t bottom already, the fact that there is only one relegation spot this season could be a god send!!

57 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

So... what is this obsession with one player? I’ve called it on here before that he is a ‘boo boy’ for some and that he gets an inordinate amount of criticism.

I agree that Yesterday was probably his worst game for us this season but this criticism has been going on for some time now. Yes he missed a good chance to make it three and didn’t really make the most of his involvement in the game. But he was always involved and over the first eight games of the season he has been an important player in the middle for us.

However Wheater also missed an easy chance to score and, for him, had a poor game. The defence in general looked shaky throughout and failed to deal with the aerial barrage. In fact there were a few out there who had poor games but, for whatever reason, there is this fascination to have a go at one player.

Is it because he was allegedly earning 4K a week last season? (There is only rumour and hearsay on this amount in any case).

Is it because he was given the captaincy? 

It’s good to see that some who have posted in this thread are more reasoned in their comments and have a more balanced view.

We dropped two points yesterday because we failed to take our chances and we failed to defend the high ball. Simple as.

Its because we have built the entire team around him and he simply isn't  good enough for that.

55 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Yes, he's been an important player for a team that's won one game in eight..

I don't think he's a bad player, he would just be the one I would sacrifice for a big striker that the team is crying out for. 

TBF Maouche got a bit of a clattering yesterday-almost as if he had been targeted as a danger. I have never been a fan of him but thought he did OK yesterday. 

This obsession with a big target man is just depressing. Football is moving on from this to quicker sharper forwards and we have a manager now who seems to want to play passing football not hoof ball. Don't think the team is crying out for a big striker at all-you don't see loads of aimless crosses into the box from the wide players. I would like to see him try Wilson and Azankpo together.

4 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

TBF Maouche got a bit of a clattering yesterday-almost as if he had been targeted as a danger. I have never been a fan of him but thought he did OK yesterday. 

This obsession with a big target man is just depressing. Football is moving on from this to quicker sharper forwards and we have a manager now who seems to want to play passing football not hoof ball. Don't think the team is crying out for a big striker at all-you don't see loads of aimless crosses into the box from the wide players. I would like to see him try Wilson and Azankpo together.

You don't see many aimless crosses into the box, but you do see us getting into the position to cross on many occasions, but not doing so because there's no one to aim for. 

We did play a lot of pretty football yesterday but, at this level, I'm not sure it's getting us very far. 

Our summer recruitment and lack of signing a decent striker was a disgrace and we’re going to pay the price at least until January. You cannot go into a season with the striking options we have and expect anything more than an uphill battle. 

We’ve played some ok football in most games this season but we’re nowhere near strong enough in key central midfield and attacking positions.

Yes, we should have enough to stay up (especially given only 1 team are going down as it stands) however that really shouldn’t be the bar and seeing people use that as a reason to be positive is nauseating.

We’re a Wheater injury away from being in real trouble whilst we’ve got the best part of 20 players twiddling their thumbs each week and one of our better players frozen out by our lunatic of an owner. It really is a depressing situation all round.

58 minutes ago, south east latic said:

Our summer recruitment and lack of signing a decent striker was a disgrace and we’re going to pay the price at least until January. You cannot go into a season with the striking options we have and expect anything more than an uphill battle. 

We’ve played some ok football in most games this season but we’re nowhere near strong enough in key central midfield and attacking positions.

Yes, we should have enough to stay up (especially given only 1 team are going down as it stands) however that really shouldn’t be the bar and seeing people use that as a reason to be positive is nauseating.

We’re a Wheater injury away from being in real trouble whilst we’ve got the best part of 20 players twiddling their thumbs each week and one of our better players frozen out by our lunatic of an owner. It really is a depressing situation all round.

Pretty much spot on!! 👍

31 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Is that an OWTB fact, a @GlossopLatic fact, or just something made up to support an argument? Oh, hang on a minute...

From an attacking point of view I think we've put a lot of emphasis on the number 10 role, and Maouche (while certainly talented) is not consistent and influential enough to produce the results we need from it.

27 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Is that an OWTB fact, a @GlossopLatic fact, or just something made up to support an argument? Oh, hang on a minute...

No the fact is he's shit, overpaid and is carried by the team for nine games out of ten, he literally does nothing at times and it's a reason we have to play a five man midfield to accommodate him, luxury player - don't make me laugh it's not as if he can turn the style on when he wants and his goals and assists record for the position he plays is depressing. Even after having the responsibility of being captain taken away he can't raise himself to play at a consistent level for more than half an hour at a time and personally I think he needs dropping, not because he's a boo boy but because he's crap.

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

So... what is this obsession with one player? I’ve called it on here before that he is a ‘boo boy’ for some and that he gets an inordinate amount of criticism.

I agree that Yesterday was probably his worst game for us this season but this criticism has been going on for some time now. Yes he missed a good chance to make it three and didn’t really make the most of his involvement in the game. But he was always involved and over the first eight games of the season he has been an important player in the middle for us.....

He’s fkin w@nk at football. He’d be great in a keepy uppy tournament.... but I want a midfielder with bite, energy, commitment, who is reliable..... and that ain’t this joker. I’d have rather kept Paul Green.

3 hours ago, salmonchantedevening said:

" A team like Grimsby".....who the hell do you think you are. That was our worst performance of the season but we still took a point off you. What ever glorious past you thought you once had it's well and truly behind you sunshine!!

Go and Trawl somewhere else.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I made the reasons in the "Our Favourite topic" thread but in summary.

- He plays in the position that he wants too

- He doesn't have to defend

- He takes all the set pieces

- Hes pretty much undropable.

- If he wants a new contract next summer he will get one.

So yeah Id say the team is built round him. You give those types of responsibilities and freedoms to your best player he isn't that.

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I agree that Yesterday was probably his worst game for us this season but this criticism has been going on for some time now. Yes he missed a good chance to make it three and didn’t really make the most of his involvement in the game. But he was always involved and over the first eight games of the season he has been an important player in the middle for us.

However Wheater also missed an easy chance to score and, for him, had a poor game. The defence in general looked shaky throughout and failed to deal with the aerial barrage. In fact there were a few out there who had poor games but, for whatever reason, there is this fascination to have a go at one player.

Is it because he was allegedly earning 4K a week last season? (There is only rumour and hearsay on this amount in any case).

Is it because he was given the captaincy? 

It’s good to see that some who have posted in this thread are more reasoned in their comments and have a more balanced view.

We dropped two points yesterday because we failed to take our chances and we failed to defend the high ball. Simple as.

The frustration is that whilst he has alot of technical ability, he lacks any sort of application.

He is lazy on the pitch. He is careless in possession, lacks any desire to influence the game for 89 minutes of it and is petulant. 

Perhaps the English game is to physical and fast paced for him week in week out? Kenny Jackett said that even in a reserve match he was complaining that he couldn't cope with speed of it.

For one of our higher earners I expect alot more from him on the pitch. He is anonymous for 90% and for the rest of it he is giving the ball away, waving his arms around in a strop because he didn't get a pass and giving away stupid fouls.

Maybe a few games on the bench will help him. Currently we are set up to accomodate him into the team however he is not delivering. 

4 hours ago, salmonchantedevening said:

" A team like Grimsby".....who the hell do you think you are. That was our worst performance of the season but we still took a point off you. What ever glorious past you thought you once had it's well and truly behind you sunshine!!

Alas, someenchanted evening (!) all we have left is memories of what once was. We are utterly dire, though plenty of our fans seem quite accepting of a team scraping an existence at the bottom of the barrel. 

Agree that it's wrong to slag off Grimsby. Very loyal fans, who have always travelled in numbers too (we used to do that as well).

Best of luck.

4 minutes ago, RobOAFC said:

The frustration is that whilst he has alot of technical ability, he lacks any sort of application.

He is lazy on the pitch. He is careless in possession, lacks any desire to influence the game for 89 minutes of it and is petulant

Perhaps the English game is to physical and fast paced for him week in week out? Kenny Jackett said that even in a reserve match he was complaining that he couldn't cope with speed of it.

For one of our higher earners I expect alot more from him on the pitch. He is anonymous for 90% and for the rest of it he is giving the ball away, waving his arms around in a strop because he didn't get a pass and giving away stupid fouls.

Maybe a few games on the bench will help him. Currently we are set up to accomodate him into the team however he is not delivering. 

Some of Jack Byrne's traits there, partly for which he got binned off for!

Byrne was, of course, far more gifted than Maouche and you couldn't fault his desire - although sometimes he'd want to do it all on his own.

I often sit and think what might have been if the stars had aligned themselves differently and we had the likes of Ripley, Doyle, Byrne, Wheater, Lang, Nepo and Surridge at our disposal. Whole different ball game then - promotion highly likely, decent crowds and a harmonious fan base. 

5 hours ago, salmonchantedevening said:

🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂

Archived