Does the chairman interfere with team selection?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can see Wellens having a bright future in the game. He'll get picked up by a Championship side looking for a Lee Johnson type. His initial impact with us was nothing short of sensational. Typical early season feeling of woe was completely turned on its head. For the first time in years I genuinely felt confident when going to the match. You can tell once people outside his sphere of influence started to disrupt things our form dipped dramatically. We had the core of a top half team going toe to toe with the best in the division (wins vs Blackburn, Bradford, Peterborough) and that second half of the season was a fucking catastrophe.

It seems so distant now. Fucking two years ago that was. Jesus wept.

7 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Can see Wellens having a bright future in the game. He'll get picked up by a Championship side looking for a Lee Johnson type. His initial impact with us was nothing short of sensational. Typical early season feeling of woe was completely turned on its head. For the first time in years I genuinely felt confident when going to the match. You can tell once people outside his sphere of influence started to disrupt things our form dipped dramatically. We had the core of a top half team going toe to toe with the best in the division (wins vs Blackburn, Bradford, Peterborough) and that second half of the season was a fucking catastrophe.

i wonder if the downward spiral started once his morale dropped once  all the interference started..The interview in the paper  i think confirms to us what we already know..Tommy Wright seems to be highly regarded as a coach his influence at swindon on the training pitch is another reason why swindon are playing well, and paul Jewell will be brining valuable experience/ advice  to wellens.

7 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Spot on. Yet people continue to slag the bloke off. No blame at his door for me

4 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Indeed. He was a young manager thrown into his first job. Of course he was going to make mistakes. But the football in those first few games was fantastic. Until ‘the boss’ thought he knew better. 

28 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Indeed. He was a young manager thrown into his first job. Of course he was going to make mistakes. But the football in those first few games was fantastic. Until ‘the boss’ thought he knew better. 

The football played by his Swindon team at BP last season showed what we could have been here without the interference he was landed with. This is a very dysfunctional club and it shows on the pitch.

28 minutes ago, Fanny Adams said:

I think the lack of outcry about this article and the Nantes one, just shows how much people have given up caring about the club.

The support is too fragmented to make any meaningful protest.

A tiny few are actively protesting.

The majority are carrying on regardless.

A few have stopped going to games, but not enough to make a noticeable protest.

Some, unbelievably, are just creaming themselves because Corney's gone...

Its quite telling that the wheels started coming off for Wellens when the takeover was officially completed.

Plymouth at home was 🤡 first game officially wasn’t it? We certainly looked nothing like we had in Wellens previous matches 

also isnt that oddly enough when we all thought Nepo (who is now off it seems) shagged Wellens wife as he was suddenly dropped after being one of our best players of the 5 game unbeaten run

22 minutes ago, Fanny Adams said:

I think the lack of outcry about this article and the Nantes one, just shows how much people have given up caring about the club.

Any reply from the usual suspects who also go by the name of The Apologists?. Thought not....

Now can you just fuck off when you continue this relentless defence of those dragging our club through the gutter, whilst slagging off anyone caught up in the whole sorry mess.

All this on the back of hearing that Nepo (without doubt the best of a couple of dozen lads the clowns have brought in) is on the verge of leaving for a team propping up the National League, will people continue to bury their heads up their arses or in the sand?

37 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The football played by his Swindon team at BP last season showed what we could have been here without the interference he was landed with. This is a very dysfunctional club and it shows on the pitch.

Agreed BP. Wellens, Wright, Jewell, Doyle, Hunt, Lyden... 4th in table and scoring freely. 

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist (and I don’t mean Dowie) to realise our decline into relegation that season happened once Lemsagam got more involved in the club.

OK an influx of cash helped secure Doyle, Byrne etc but that was mixed heavily with the flood of inferior imports and meddling over selection.  His tinpot dictatorship off the field clearly disrupted the club too.

We were potless under Corney but at least he didn’t interfere on recruitment or selection.  These last two years has proven that meddling from the boardroom into the changing room doesn’t work.  If Lemsagam has money then allow a football manager to recruit and just sign those cheques.  His Director of Football model may work overseas or further up our pyramid but clearly not at our level.

Classic example brewing last night and Nepo.  One player who can deliver goals, puts in a shift and one of a very small number of his recruits that has been mostly a success.  Obviously he was supposedly ‘sold’ in the window but some reason that didn’t happen.  Lemsagam has spat his dummy out and ostracised another player adding to an increasing list of players - Byrne, Osmane, OGrady etc - that have been forced out.

2 hours ago, dannyboy55555 said:

His management of Byrne in the 2nd half of the season was ridiculous. The team was more than good enough to survive even if he was told who to play. You can't absolve him of all blame....

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Now can you just fuck off when you continue this relentless defence of those dragging our club through the gutter, whilst slagging off anyone caught up in the whole sorry mess.

Nice!

From a bloke who would rather go and watch Halifax over supporting 'our' club. What a hypocrite.

8 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

His management of Byrne in the 2nd half of the season was ridiculous. The team was more than good enough to survive even if he was told who to play. You can't absolve him of all blame....

Considering that Byrne continued to be ostracised well into the following pre-season after Wellens had left would suggest it wasn’t his management of him that was the problem.

Either Byrne was the bad egg he was rumoured (and showed at other clubs) or 🤡 didn’t like him. Probably a smattering of both as I can imagine Byrne being the type to tell 🤡 and flat cap exactly what he thought 

46 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Nice!

From a bloke who would rather go and watch Halifax over supporting 'our' club. What a hypocrite.

That the best you can come up with?

I've watched my team 1000's of times on hundreds of grounds never missing games for seasons on end but didn't fancy the 360 mile round trip to watch a team of mainly no mark frauds who I have a failing association with, I probably go to forty other games a season, mainly non league at a variety of grounds, i enjoy the day as I don't really invest much in it emotionally and it is always a pleasant experience, how the fuck is that hypocritical?

What I'd rather do is support the club that's in my blood, one I dread to think what I've spent following and not for the success but for the enjoyment, knowing more often than not that we were favourites to get beat but a team I could be proud of, sadly the whole shebang is a shit show from top to bottom, an embarrassment that 'supporters' like yourself will somehow try to defend, your one of a group of posters who continuously make excuses but are happy to jump all over the symptom of the problem, fucking hell wake up and smell the coffee - in typical misguided fashion all this is Yardogs fault because he didn't waste his fucking weekend traipsing down to East Anglia to watch his team :applause1: keep em coming bright spark.

10 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Any reply from the usual suspects who also go by the name of The Apologists?. Thought not....

All this on the back of hearing that Nepo (without doubt the best of a couple of dozen lads the clowns have brought in) is on the verge of leaving for a team propping up the National League, will people continue to bury their heads up their arses or in the sand?

In the space of nine hours:

@yarddog73 has gone from a reasoned post citing an an article on an ex manager who provides further evidence on interference in team selection by the owners of the club...to a profanity laced attack on fellow supporters labelling them apologists, telling them to ‘fuck off’ accusing them of burying their ‘heads up their arses’.. 

What happened to allowing people to reply?  Once again you do yourself no favours whatsoever with your anger filled rant.

My thoughts... it seems that as time moves on, more individuals are providing ‘proof’ of interference. Interference that should be unacceptable in my view. Whereas I can accept that there are often certain conditions with loan players having to play (not saying it is right btw), and that a Director of Football can have an opinion on playing options, the final word on team selection has to be with the manager/coach full stop ✋ 

It got me thinking: what should a manager do if the owner is interfering in this way? Stand up to the owner, ignore his interference and pick his own team or walk? This sort of interference puts the manager in an extremely difficult position. Does he stand up to the owners and risk the sack or accept the situation and do the best he can?  Bad times at Boundary Park 😔

14 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

In the space of nine hours:

@yarddog73

It got me thinking: what should a manager do if the owner is interfering in this way? Stand up to the owner, ignore his interference and pick his own team or walk? This sort of interference puts the manager in an extremely difficult position. Does he stand up to the owners and risk the sack or accept the situation and do the best he can?  Bad times at Boundary Park 😔

Depends what he was told when recruited. I imagine Banide knew the score. I also imagine that it came as a surprise to Wellens, Bunn. Scholes... 

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

Depends what he was told when recruited. I imagine Banide knew the score. I also imagine that it came as a surprise to Wellens, Bunn. Scholes... 

Add Shez to the list, Ripley (the one signing he wanted and it was all agreed) not signing led to him spitting his dummy out, Abdallah from the very start was forcing players on the manager, not one person can claim that this is working on any level.

Banide is merely a puppet and a front for something that is ultimately a poisonous way to run a football club. We've been fed no end of bullshit and lies once again and the same fools continue to fall for and defend it.

Archived