Does the chairman interfere with team selection?

32 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

That the best you can come up with?

I've watched my team 1000's of times on hundreds of grounds never missing games for seasons on end but didn't fancy the 360 mile round trip to watch a team of mainly no mark frauds who I have a failing association with, I probably go to forty other games a season, mainly non league at a variety of grounds, i enjoy the day as I don't really invest much in it emotionally and it is always a pleasant experience, how the fuck is that hypocritical?

What I'd rather do is support the club that's in my blood, one I dread to think what I've spent following and not for the success but for the enjoyment, knowing more often than not that we were favourites to get beat but a team I could be proud of, sadly the whole shebang is a shit show from top to bottom, an embarrassment that 'supporters' like yourself will somehow try to defend, your one of a group of posters who continuously make excuses but are happy to jump all over the symptom of the problem, fucking hell wake up and smell the coffee - in typical misguided fashion all this is Yardogs fault because he didn't waste his fucking weekend traipsing down to East Anglia to watch his team :applause1: keep em coming bright spark.

There have been many times I have thought you were talking out of your arse over the years but can’t fault a single word of this. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Wellens says. “It was all a big eye-opener. I had afternoon meetings with the chairman, discussions on who to play and not to play and certain players who had been signed and certain agreements with their parent club where they had to play."

34 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Depends what he was told when recruited. I imagine Banide knew the score. I also imagine that it came as a surprise to Wellens, Bunn. Scholes... 

I tink you are right about Bunn and yes Wellens  to a certain extent. He knew but was in hios first position so would have been uncertain what was normal.

But Scholes knew exactly what had happened, to the extent it's rumoured it was a contractucal term! And I  don't blame him for walking. A deal is a deal, once you push back it's the thin end of the wedge.

11 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Can see Wellens having a bright future in the game. He'll get picked up by a Championship side looking for a Lee Johnson type. His initial impact with us was nothing short of sensational. Typical early season feeling of woe was completely turned on its head. For the first time in years I genuinely felt confident when going to the match. You can tell once people outside his sphere of influence started to disrupt things our form dipped dramatically. We had the core of a top half team going toe to toe with the best in the division (wins vs Blackburn, Bradford, Peterborough) and that second half of the season was a fucking catastrophe.

It seems so distant now. Fucking two years ago that was. Jesus wept.

agree he started really well and coul dhave a good future. something drastic must have happened as we went from looking good to being a total mess. even if there was problems with moral/issues i dont think he did too well galvanising everyone to produce until the end of the season. some of his formations in the latter games were horrific and contributed to our relegation. he's done well to get back in after that

12 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Can see Wellens having a bright future in the game. He'll get picked up by a Championship side looking for a Lee Johnson type. His initial impact with us was nothing short of sensational. Typical early season feeling of woe was completely turned on its head. For the first time in years I genuinely felt confident when going to the match. You can tell once people outside his sphere of influence started to disrupt things our form dipped dramatically. We had the core of a top half team going toe to toe with the best in the division (wins vs Blackburn, Bradford, Peterborough) and that second half of the season was a fucking catastrophe.

It seems so distant now. Fucking two years ago that was. Jesus wept.

Right lets get a few things straight....

• Does AL interfere in team selection, and is he almost single handedly destroying our football club? - absofuckinglutely
  • Has Wellens the potential with experience to be a successful manager at Championship level? - IMO jury is out on this but 50/50 yes i think
  • Was AL responsible for our relegation from L1? No. The reason we went down was because we failed to win 0 out of our last 8 games with a squad well capable of staying up by a single point, and Wellens as manager was responsible.

Team selection in the last 8 games was pretty much what I would have picked. Yes 1 or 2 changes from starting to bench maybe, but Wellens had Doyle, Nazon,  Nepo,  Byrne , Hunt, George ,Davies, Gardiner, Holloway, Moimbe etc all available in the main and picked most of them for most of the final 8 fixtures, all of which I attended but Gillingham H. 

He just failed dismally to motivate the team,  and was tactically inept and naive. There is little evidence in the run in that AL actually interfered in team selection and I challenge anyone to argue otherwise.

Things are very different today and we need to get the pedantic twat out as soon as possible. However lets not paint Wellens as this great coach and blame going down on the clown 2 years ago. He actually gave us every chance of staying up with his investment in who he brought in after the nightmare start under Shez.

It’s a hard one, I seriously dislike the ownership but I still love Oldham and want us to succeed. I’ll continue going and hope something happens. It’s a shame we don’t have a group led by the fans leading the charge for change... oh wait we have two, one we know nothing about but have to assume they are fans with good motives, and another which is about as useful as a chocolate tea pot which labels itself the “trust” but it’s okay because they have 3% shares and won’t ever let anything bad happen. 

9 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

• Does AL interfere in team selection, and is he almost single handedly destroying our football club? - absofuckinglutely
  • Has Wellens the potential with experience to be a successful manager at Championship level? - IMO jury is out on this but 50/50 yes i think
  • Was AL responsible for our relegation from L1? No. The reason we went down was because we failed to win 0 out of our last 8 games with a squad well capable of staying up by a single point, and Wellens as manager was responsible.

Team selection in the last 8 games was pretty much what I would have picked. Yes 1 or 2 changes from starting to bench maybe, but Wellens had Doyle, Nazon,  Nepo,  Byrne , Hunt, George ,Davies, Gardiner, Holloway, Moimbe etc all available in the main and picked most of them for most of the final 8 fixtures, all of which I attended but Gillingham H. 

He just failed dismally to motivate the team,  and was tactically inept and naive. There is little evidence in the run in that AL actually interfered in team selection and I challenge anyone to argue otherwise.

Things are very different today and we need to get the pedantic twat out as soon as possible. However lets not paint Wellens as this great coach and blame going down on the clown 2 years ago. He actually gave us every chance of staying up with his investment in who he brought in after the nightmare start under Shez.

You try keeping your morale and motivation up when you are being completely undermined. 

18 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

And it was shez that brought in the players that almost kept us up, who wellens has now signed at Swindon and is getting the credit for. No one was blameless, it was a perfect storm. However with that team we should have easily stayed up. IMO wellens take the majority of the blame!

24 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

I have highlighted "There is little evidence in the run in that AL actually interfered in team selection and I challenge anyone to argue otherwise" 

In the final 8 games in which we failed to win 1, despite having the best fixtures available (couldn't have handpicked them much better!) we were poor. 

Wellens shoulders some of the blame in my opinion as all we needed was 1 win out of those games and regardless of meddling, that squad should have found 1 from somewhere. 

However, the point made in bold above. Ousmane Fane (like him or not) was banned for the last 3 games of the season by Abdallah following issues during the game that we lost to Southend during that run, if reports are led to be true (no reason to doubt). Also, Gillingham at home, one of AL's signings Wilifred Moimbe (wasn't a bad footballer but a lunatic!) cost us the 1 win we required, by reacting in the 93rd minute to Tom Eaves winding him up. Not good enough!

As such, I reckon that Abdallah and his brother had a major helping hand in contributing to the relegation from League One and that should not be placed at Wellens' door, who albeit not blameless, he acquired 46 points in 37 games (something along those lines) which would have seen us finish you'd like to have thought on more than 50 points.

30 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

You try keeping your morale and motivation up when you are being completely undermined. 

Remain professional or resign then. He should have kept us up regardless. As pointed out above he was definitely provided with more than adequate tools. Interference wouldn’t have helped for sure. IMO he should have used it to galvanise the squad and kept us up in spite of the owner. 

41 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Motivation was particularly low in the squad over the closing weeks of that season as a result of the divisions that AL had created in the squad.That contributed massively to our relegation.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

in typical misguided fashion all this is Yardogs fault because he didn't waste his fucking weekend traipsing down to East Anglia to watch his team :applause1: keep em coming bright spark.

Where has anybody said its all your fault? Even I can see that its not.

I have posted this before that just because I don't agree with your stance it doesn't mean I am supporting the current ownership, its just that for you if you are not against him you have to be for him. Your constant attacks on the club well illustrated by the last 2 threads you have started illustrate this perfectly and TBH it all gets to be a bit wearing.

Await another foul mouthed rant/reply while I get a coffee.

3 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Where has anybody said its all your fault? Even I can see that its not.

I have posted this before that just because I don't agree with your stance it doesn't mean I am supporting the current ownership, its just that for you if you are not against him you have to be for him. Your constant attacks on the club well illustrated by the last 2 threads you have started illustrate this perfectly and TBH it all gets to be a bit wearing.

Await another foul mouthed rant/reply while I get a coffee.

It is all getting a bit wearing that's something we agree on, enjoy your coffee it's a shame your struggling to smell it.

48 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Or are the rumours of the players being involved in a gambling scandal, involving Oldham being relegated true?

Either way the owner is destroying the club. 

Its clear the Lemsagams have created an impossible environment for any competent manager/Head coach to work in with the exception of a puppet which by the looks of it is what they have got and look how its working out so far for us?

I'm blaming the whole relegation on the Lemsagams, Wellens has showed with a normalish environment to work in that he can be a competent manager The Lemsagams set him up to fail whilst here.

1 hour ago, Careca9 said:

agree he started really well and coul dhave a good future. something drastic must have happened as we went from looking good to being a total mess. even if there was problems with moral/issues i dont think he did too well galvanising everyone to produce until the end of the season. some of his formations in the latter games were horrific and contributed to our relegation. he's done well to get back in after that

He hasn't done well to get back in.Everyone in football by then knew what a joke of a club we had become and will have understood that our performances were not a reflection on Wellens. Our reputation in Uk football is shot, witness our inability to attract the same calibre of loan player this season as last.

If the Lemsagams hadn’t interfered, we’d have stayed up.

If we’d had a different manager other than Wellens, we’d have still gone down either that season or the one after, because nobody seems to be able to work under the Lemsagams.

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Wellens isn't blameless.  But of your bullet points, 1 and 3 seem to be at odds with each other.

Also you're saying there's little evidence that the team selection was interfered with during the run in when we're having a discussion about an article quoting Wellens saying exactly that.  Form started to dip toward the end of December, the takeover was finally completed in January.  The more AL was involved, the shitter it got overall.

The working conditions weren't conducive to a successful team and were the major factor in our relegation and are continuing now with our current situation at the bottom end of league 2.  The responsibility for that is the owners', no one else.

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

The reason we went down was because we failed to win 0 out of our last 8 games with a squad well capable of staying up by a single point, and Wellens as manager was responsible.

Not right - thats exactly what we managed to do 😝

1 hour ago, unsworthlatic said:

I have highlighted "There is little evidence in the run in that AL actually interfered in team selection and I challenge anyone to argue otherwise" 

In the final 8 games in which we failed to win 1, despite having the best fixtures available (couldn't have handpicked them much better!) we were poor. 

Wellens shoulders some of the blame in my opinion as all we needed was 1 win out of those games and regardless of meddling, that squad should have found 1 from somewhere. 

However, the point made in bold above. Ousmane Fane (like him or not) was banned for the last 3 games of the season by Abdallah following issues during the game that we lost to Southend during that run, if reports are led to be true (no reason to doubt). Also, Gillingham at home, one of AL's signings Wilifred Moimbe (wasn't a bad footballer but a lunatic!) cost us the 1 win we required, by reacting in the 93rd minute to Tom Eaves winding him up. Not good enough!

As such, I reckon that Abdallah and his brother had a major helping hand in contributing to the relegation from League One and that should not be placed at Wellens' door, who albeit not blameless, he acquired 46 points in 37 games (something along those lines) which would have seen us finish you'd like to have thought on more than 50 points.

Erm how is that AL interfering with team selection?

Making a player unavailable for disciplinary reasons (agreed we still don't really know why but ultimately the owners decision), and for a player you deem to be "not a bad footballer" who was selected and happened to get himself sent off....weak argument.

13 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Wellens isn't blameless.  But of your bullet points, 1 and 3 seem to be at odds with each other.

Also you're saying there's little evidence that the team selection was interfered with during the run in when we're having a discussion about an article quoting Wellens saying exactly that.  Form started to dip toward the end of December, the takeover was finally completed in January.  The more AL was involved, the shitter it got overall.

The working conditions weren't conducive to a successful team and were the major factor in our relegation and are continuing now with our current situation at the bottom end of league 2.  The responsibility for that is the owners', no one else.

So who from the squad we had available, would you have changed in your tram selection over the last 8 games that season? Genuine question.

What I'm saying is AL is a twat, he has clearly influenced team selection  for the worse in the recent past, and has over the same period created a toxic atmosphere at the club. Its clear from my previous posts I'm not his biggest fan of his!

However at the end of the 2017/18 season I cant see how he interfered in team selection, with the exception of banning Fane, as we fielded our best side available IMO?

12 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Erm how is that AL interfering with team selection?

Making a player unavailable for disciplinary reasons (agreed we still don't really know why but ultimately the owners decision), and for a player you deem to be "not a bad footballer" who was selected and happened to get himself sent off....weak argument.

He is interfering in team selections as he has suspended a player that the manager may want to use all for what? If serious then surely it would have been noted that he was suspended on disciplinary grounds. 

Moimbe, Wellens has said that he didn't want to play but was forced to. I think this was post Gillingham game, may even have been after he left.

If you're after proof, there isn't any that will be found, however, with 3 coaches saying the same thing, 1 of which resigning due to this, you'd take the "no smoke without fire" stance surely? 

As I said, Wellens isn't blameless but neither is the owner in the relegation to the basement division either.

It's actually hard to believe that fans are still continuing to argue over the new regime and its culpability for our present precarious position.

Just sit back for a little while and think clearly; what has happened to Oldham Athletic since the new regime came in?

The answer will tell you everything you need to know. You don't even need evidence from elsewhere - it's self evident.

Archived