Does the chairman interfere with team selection?

It wasn’t his fault we were on the edge of administration when he rocked up, but.........It’s certainly his fault that our fan base has fallen by a further 20%. It is certainly his fault that we have probably the worst squad of players in all the years I have supported this football club, and it’s also almost certainly his fault that we occupy a position close to the bottom of the basement division.

Oh, and if he fails...we’re fucked!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

You just summarised the last 10 years+.  The downward trajectory was set long before AL pitched up.  It’s up to him to arrest the decline.  He’ll either change it or he won’t.  

If he fails then he’s no better than the rest that have sat on that board over that period (and I include everybody that has sat on it). But it’s hardly his fault alone that we are where we are... far from it.  

How long does he get to ‘change it?’ 

He’s had two years plus of owning the club, and has made lots of changes. These changes/decisions have so far led to us being in the bottom 5 of league two. 

Surely the number one aim of any owner is to have a successful team. He’s failing miserably. 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

How long does he get to ‘change it?’ 

He’s had two years plus of owning the club, and has made lots of changes. These changes/decisions have so far led to us being in the bottom 5 of league two. 

Surely the number one aim of any owner is to have a successful team. He’s failing miserably. 

I’d say in this day and age the number 1 priority is financial stability.  But we don’t know anything about that either. 

To get back to the topic title. If he doesn't interfere in team selection, then Mo certainly does. Where is one of our better players who can play quite well at LB? Instead we have Fage there who tries his best but is never a LB, and Smith-Brown, enough said about him. Why didn't Banide get asked in the post match interview if Nepo. was injured, thus explaining his absence? The answer to that is, Dom wants to keep his job.

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

You just summarised the last 10 years+.  

But it’s hardly his fault alone that we are where we are... far from it.  

Except we were never relegated to the basement league until he came along.

I agree there has been a steady decline previously in certain areas but I honestly do not think we would have been relegated if AL hadn't come along.

3 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Except we were never relegated to the basement league until he came along.

I agree there has been a steady decline previously in certain areas but I honestly do not think we would have been relegated if AL hadn't come along.

We would.  We barely survived for a number of years. Corney was done.  This has been confirmed.  He was literally on a knife edge.  So we would have either just failed on the pitch or gone bust. 

58 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

I’d say in this day and age the number 1 priority is financial stability.  But we don’t know anything about that either. 

Fair comment. 

I’ll rephrase- to have a successful team whilst remaining financially stable. 

The fact we have squad of 30 plus, most of who will get nowhere near the first team shows on this point alone he’s failing miserably. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

The fact we have squad of 30 plus, 

Do we really though? 

The starting lineup and bench seems to have stabilised in recent weeks. 

The likes of Gonzales, Adams, Zeus, Kokos, McHale, Dolan and many others whose names I can't recall aren't ever going to get anywhere near the first team, or much further than the bench, on a regular basis.

They're all just what Lee Johnson used to describe as "projects" aren't they?

Reserve's - one or two, no more, who might show enough to become actual footballers. As has always been the case with such punts.

Announcing them as proper signings has just been another by product of the constant claims from certain vocal fans on all our behalfs that "all we want as fans is transparency & communication" hasn't it?

Teeing up an easy belly tickle for AL & Mo.....

8 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Do we really though? 

The likes of Gonzales, Adams, Zeus, Kokos, McHale, Dolan and many others whose names I can't recall aren't ever going to get anywhere near the first team, or much further than the bench, on a regular basis.

Reserve's - one or two, no more, who might show enough to become actual footballers. As has always been the case with such punts.

Announcing them as proper signings has just been another by product of the constant claims from certain vocal fans on all our behalfs that "all we want as fans is transparency & communication" hasn't it?

I think we agree. . .

We have a lot of players who aren’t good enough, will never play and yet will stick pick up a wage. AL could save at least half a dozen wages and pay a decent striker. But he seems happy signing 18 wingers instead. 

3 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Do we really though? 

Well McHale got on the pitch at Plymouth so he's quite close to the first team.   There were probably more but the only 'project' of Johnson's that I recall was Joksts (?).  We appear to have signed most of a reserve team despite not actually running a proper reserve team.  If we did have that then I'd expect it to be mainly populated by those coming back from injury and the better and more experienced youths

27 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Well McHale got on the pitch at Plymouth so he's quite close to the first team.   There were probably more but the only 'project' of Johnson's that I recall was Joksts (?).  We appear to have signed most of a reserve team despite not actually running a proper reserve team.  If we did have that then I'd expect it to be mainly populated by those coming back from injury and the better and more experienced youths

We had regular reserve fixtures under Johnson, plenty of behind closed door friendlies on Chapel Rd that I attended as well, there is no need whatsoever to assemble a squad of more than about 20 at our level with the odd youth getting involved if needed, managing 30 odd players will be a logistical nightmare and gives a coach very little time to work with them individually and that's before you factor in the language barrier and interfering. 

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

We had a few Hungarians brought over a few years ago, which turned out a dismal failure, can't remember who was the manager at the time?

21 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Do we really though? 

I'd say Zeus was a better goal keeper than Zabret. What is the point in having a goal keeper on loan who doesn't play? Surely Swansea can't be happy with this.

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

I'd say Zeus was a better goal keeper than Zabret. What is the point in having a goal keeper on loan who doesn't play? Surely Swansea can't be happy with this.

Why though? 

If he isn't going to play for us, he's unlikely to play for anyone in the league (given our current league position). We will be paying something towards his wages. So Swansea make money, or rather they don't lose as much money, on a GK who is clearly considered one for the future, and isn't getting near their squad. 

Did he play in the game against Liverpool's kids? 

Archived