Fans Bar

Just wondering what people are making of the fans bar in the Joe Royle stand. Was in there again today and couldn’t help but feel there were more Grimsby fans than Oldham at one point. Left at 2.30 to take our seat and had a quick pint on the concourse in the JR stand and there must of been about 10 people there max. Anyway what I’m asking really is if this carries on what is the point of opening the concourse before a match as surely it’s not making any money. Also this new company Quirky Catering what exactly have they done so far ? Same choice of drinks but you can’t even pay on a card now. Hardly progress is it

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/14/2019 at 5:58 PM, oldhamfan said:

Just wondering what people are making of the fans bar in the Joe Royle stand. Was in there again today and couldn’t help but feel there were more Grimsby fans than Oldham at one point. Left at 2.30 to take our seat and had a quick pint on the concourse in the JR stand and there must of been about 10 people there max. Anyway what I’m asking really is if this carries on what is the point of opening the concourse before a match as surely it’s not making any money. Also this new company Quirky Catering what exactly have they done so far ? Same choice of drinks but you can’t even pay on a card now. Hardly progress is it

Think it’s a good set up. Should be able to welcome both sets of supporters. Food is always superb and the beer is miles better than the tins they sell in the main stand bar. 

Think you might start seeing more and more and more in the OEC

I’ve been in a couple of times. Feels like you’re walking through a hospital to visit someone before you get there. 

Everyone just stands around the sides looking out of the window, there’s no music, the TVs showing the match don’t have any sound. Beers ok, not had any food but it looks nice. 

Its hardly a fan bar but I’m sure it’ll get better. 

it's basically like the 100 club but busier and without half time access and post match presentations. On Saturday there were quite a few away fans in there and they were doing brisk trade a the bar pre-match..

Given what i paid for 100 club tickets, and the fact the OEC are serving food to the same standard as the 100 club for £5 a head,  I cannot fathom how the club could have been losing money on the 100 club as they claimed to be.

33 minutes ago, harry1203 said:

I’ve been in a couple of times. Feels like you’re walking through a hospital to visit someone before you get there. 

Everyone just stands around the sides looking out of the window, there’s no music, the TVs showing the match don’t have any sound. Beers ok, not had any food but it looks nice. 

Its hardly a fan bar but I’m sure it’ll get better. 

The fact that there isn't music playing is one of the reasons that I like it.  Surely, when friends and family meet in a fans area, they want to chat about life in general and football in particular. Do they really want to be shouting at each other over music ?

32 minutes ago, bozman said:

it's basically like the 100 club but busier and without half time access and post match presentations. On Saturday there were quite a few away fans in there and they were doing brisk trade a the bar pre-match..

Given what i paid for 100 club tickets, and the fact the OEC are serving food to the same standard as the 100 club for £5 a head,  I cannot fathom how the club could have been losing money on the 100 club as they claimed to be.

I think the OEC are trying to entice fans in there and certainly for now profit on food will be negligible. Its a much better pre match experience. Beer isn’t cheap but much than than paying for overpriced cans in the concourse!!

1 hour ago, bozman said:

Hi

The club were losing money on the 100 club as we were being charged excessive prices for that £5 food.

Me and Ashleigh worked out the total cost to the club of a 100 club membership in 18/19 compared to the price charged and we 100% made a loss per 100 Club membership, and so therefore a loss overall.

The costs and prices were set before either of us joined last September.

Thanks

9 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Silly suggestion...charge a little more for 100 club membership. Surely OAFC must have been aware of the true cost before selling the tickets!

Can't speak for the previous commercial department that worked out the costs and set the prices for the 18/19 season

When me and Ash put together the 100 Club package for this season we suggested a price increase to fans. This went down like a lead balloon

Subsequently we took off free car park and made it available as an optional extra for £75, this also went down poorly but it was the only way we could break even on the product. Even then due to the excessive food costs we were only making a slight profit

45 minutes ago, OAFCBilly said:

Hi

The club were losing money on the 100 club as we were being charged excessive prices for that £5 food.

Me and Ashleigh worked out the total cost to the club of a 100 club membership in 18/19 compared to the price charged and we 100% made a loss per 100 Club membership, and so therefore a loss overall.

Thanks

Cheers Billy

One question, did the Club make any attempt to contact the then management of the OEC to negotiate when the new SLA was issued in May,  or the current management when they took over at the end of May?

Thanks

9 minutes ago, underdog said:

Cheers Billy

One question, did the Club make any attempt to contact the then management of the OEC to negotiate when the new SLA was issued in May,  or the current management when they took over at the end of May?

Thanks

I wouldn't know, sorry

I only know the info I've already stated as I was helping Ash with the commercial department as at that time Pat hadn't joined us. When Pat joined us I went back to strictly Ticket Office duties and assisted here and there with 100 Club enquiries

Just now, OAFCBilly said:

I wouldn't know, sorry

I only know the info I've already stated as I was helping Ash with the commercial department as at that time as Pat hadn't joined us then. When Pat joined us I went back to strictly Ticket Office duties and assisted here and there with 100 Club enquiries

Cheers Billy.

2 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

The fact that there isn't music playing is one of the reasons that I like it.  Surely, when friends and family meet in a fans area, they want to chat about life in general and football in particular. Do they really want to be shouting at each other over music ?

Interesting point.

I went in before one of the pre-season friendlies and found it all a little sterile and sedate if I`m honest. Was a better atmosphere in the O2 suite, which I transferred to.

In my experience there are primarily 2 types of football supporter a) the flask and butty brigade (to quote an old phrase) and b) the more energetic crowd. There are those in between but, somehow, in order to maximise cashflow/profit you have to cater for both I`m afraid. It didn't feel like a "football fans' bar" to me; more like the best room in a decent local pub.

I honestly thought the fans' bar was going to be a completely new area - it is simply utilising a room which is often used for wedding receptions etc. If we had a fans' bar which was decked out in Latics regalia, photos etc. with quite a modern feel - I`d certainly spend a few quid in it (when my boycott is over of course).

2 hours ago, OAFCBilly said:

Hi

Thanks

So, if 100 Club tickets were (about?) £650 (£28.20 per game) what the OEC wanted to charge, including the food, was such that it would have swallowed all of that up and then some....? 

Why does the food cost always get spoken about in isolation? 

Is that costed as an add on to the £270 for a standard season ticket? i.e. £380 per head for the 100 club "upgrade"? 

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

So, if 100 Club tickets were (about?) £650 (£28.20 per game) what the OEC wanted to charge, including the food, was such that it would have swallowed all of that up and then some....? 

Why does the food cost always get spoken about in isolation? 

Is that costed as an add on to the £270 for a standard season ticket? i.e. £380 per head for the 100 club "upgrade"? 

We worked out the costs and they were more than the price set. I don't want to put out what I think all the costs were as it's been a while and don't want to give false info. The only cost I'm 100% on is the £270 for the Season Ticket and £100 for the Car Park pass, and then programmes and team sheets.

As far as I'm aware, Pat had all the costs and he was fine with divulging this info with supporters (he sent them to 100 Club members), and we also had a meeting where we discussed it with 100 club members. His email is pat.cluskey@oldhamathletic.co.uk 

1 hour ago, OAFCBilly said:

We worked out the costs and they were more than the price set. I don't want to put out what I think all the costs were as it's been a while and don't want to give false info. The only cost I'm 100% on is the £270 for the Season Ticket and £100 for the Car Park pass, and then programmes and team sheets.

As far as I'm aware, Pat had all the costs and he was fine with divulging this info with supporters (he sent them to 100 Club members), and we also had a meeting where we discussed it with 100 club members. His email is pat.cluskey@oldhamathletic.co.uk 

Promotion for you Billy?

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2019/september/16092019-ticket-office-manager-vacancy/

2 hours ago, laticsrblue said:

They've missed out two of the criteria in the job description:

Never criticise anyone or complain about anything within the workings of the club or be prepared to be sacked at the drop of a hat

Learn to speak French

2 hours ago, OAFCBilly said:

😂 Stepdad’s response was very similar 

I did hear on Saturday that you were leaving but did not want to post anything earlier in case it was wrong....Congrats if its a step up and all for you, thanks for all your helpful responses on here too...but yes united!!!...get sabotaging them...hahah

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:27 PM, pk200 said:

Congratulations Billy.....just can't keep a good man down.

Good luck Billy - one of the very few positives at Latics over the recent past 

Will genuinely miss your customer services skills and willingness to go the extra mile for the supporters.

Don't stay at United too long mate lol - will ruin you   

Archived