Wheater - disappointing so far?

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Don't forget, he's one good player in a mediocre defence.

When he gets injured (unfortunately, he will) just see how bad we are then!

Sadly, Hamer, Lacovitti, Stott et al just don't seem to be up to the standard - which is a little mystifying in such a shit league.

1 hour ago, bluehobbit said:

He wasn't at fault for the equalizer someone turned their back on the Grimsby man running in.... White boots on Lacoviti?  He can't be everywhere
He does organise we have looked better at the back with him in. Is he as good at it as Clarke? Jury out. Does he have more to organise than Clarke did last season? YES

Will some folk please remember his name is NOT Lacovitti. It's IACOVITTI. [But you don't have to use capitals]

Pedantic? Me?

Thank you.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to directly compare Wheater and Clarke from last season, the back line Clarke had to work with is a lot better than the players has to help.  I think Wheater makes a much bigger impact on this team than Clarke did on last season, mainly because without Wheater this defence would be the worst in the league.

As for being disappointing?  Laughable.  Were you expecting him to be the second coming of Christ or something?  He's made our completely dysfunctional defence somewhat respectable, any more than that from one player is a bonus.  The rest of our transfer dealings and our management structure is what's disappointing.

5 hours ago, bluehobbit said:

He wasn't at fault for the equalizer someone turned their back on the Grimsby man running in.... White boots on Lacoviti?  He can't be everywhere
He does organise we have looked better at the back with him in. Is he as good at it as Clarke? Jury out. Does he have more to organise than Clarke did last season? YES

The last question is key for me. I think we will be vulnerable to late goals this season as mental fatigue sits in for Wheater due to the amount of organising he has to do. 

1 hour ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Maldini was a fullback?? Strange comparison?

Yes he started as a full back but he spent a lot of his career at centre-half. When the first choice centre-backs for your club and country are Baresi and Costacurta, if you are capable, you might end up playing full-back, a lot. He moved to centre-half for his club when Baresi retired. 

To go back to the original point, have we been disappointing defensively with Wheater, perhaps. But he is playing in a much worse side than last year, especially in defence. 

He is our top scorer though. 

5 minutes ago, leeslover said:

I'd sooner have Reuben Hazell leading the defence than Sefil.

I’d rather have Hazell NOW than Sefil!!

Seriously though if/when Wheater picks up an injury and we have to play the back four that played at Bradford we are screwed! 

6 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

Will some folk please remember his name is NOT Lacovitti. It's IACOVITTI. [But you don't have to use capitals]

Pedantic? Me?

Thank you.

In all honesty hadn't realised. Thought it was Lacovitti when we signed him.. to be honest im borderline disinterested with the team and the club just about go to the games at the mo dont read much around the team and the players any more.

Frankly blaming wheater for the 2nd goal when he's nowhere near the ball and a fellow defender has lost his man and turned his back on play is laughable.  

But each to there own we are defo better with him in the team than without. At any sensible club clarke would still be here but this is a s*** show run by clowns

2 hours ago, rudemedic said:

The last question is key for me. I think we will be vulnerable to late goals this season as mental fatigue sits in for Wheater due to the amount of organising he has to do. 

Yes he started as a full back but he spent a lot of his career at centre-half. When the first choice centre-backs for your club and country are Baresi and Costacurta, if you are capable, you might end up playing full-back, a lot. He moved to centre-half for his club when Baresi retired. 

To go back to the original point, have we been disappointing defensively with Wheater, perhaps. But he is playing in a much worse side than last year, especially in defence. 

He is our top scorer though. 

Joint with Missilou? They've scored twice as many each as all our strikers put together... 

Harry has had a fair bit of opposition opening up this thread. What I'll say is that we are conceding an awful lot with him back there. I love Peter Clarke and shouldn't compare Wheater to him but I can't help it. I'm not sure he brings the leadership and general will to win that Clarke had. This thread certainly is worth throwing out there given we can't keep a clean sheet. 

11 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Harry has had a fair bit of opposition opening up this thread. What I'll say is that we are conceding an awful lot with him back there. I love Peter Clarke and shouldn't compare Wheater to him but I can't help it. I'm not sure he brings the leadership and general will to win that Clarke had. This thread certainly is worth throwing out there given we can't keep a clean sheet. 

something is not right at the back, i dont think woods is good enough...

12 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Clarke didn’t have to play with Iacovitti and no left back. 

Archived