Fans Forum announced 10 Oct 2019

On 10/15/2019 at 6:46 PM, GlossopLatic said:

Would anyonelse like to see the end of the term "The Three Amigos" used to describe Corney Blitz and Gazal.

We were all grateful for them in 2004 but they have left an appalling legacy on the football club with the split in the ownership of assets setting the stage for the current clusterfuck that we are currently seeing.

Don't know how controversial that is....

I’ve been calling them The Three Assetstrippers for some years now.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/16/2019 at 4:37 PM, nzlatic said:

Interesting revelation from Mike Keegan re Maynard on the podcast.  8 clubs were in for him in the summer, including us, and we offered the lowest.  And some of the other clubs in for him were non league.

Barry cited a few quality players we were supposedly in for along with Maynard, I think Mayor was one of them, as if somehow justifying our summer recruitment efforts.  But what is pretty clear, which is no surprise at all, is that we were offering peanuts so had no chance of getting these players in.  Just more guff and spin.

They probably would’ve liked to have offered more but the Agenda was in full swing by then and a downturn of season tickets sold occurred. 

That old nugget of...less fans = less money to spend on players. Quelle surprise!

11 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

They probably would’ve liked to have offered more but the Agenda was in full swing by then and a downturn of season tickets sold occurred. 

That old nugget of...less fans = less money to spend on players. Quelle surprise!

I don't like the 'blame the stayaway fans' argument.  Last year season ticket sales went up didn't they? Yet the standard of players recruited on the whole was poor (other than loans where it's uncertain what wage contribution we were making if any).

What indications were there for fans considering buying a season ticket that the money would be spent on players of the calibre of Maynard?

Maynard signed for Mansfield at the start of July.  I think from that point we signed 14 players on permanent contracts.  5 of them have barely featured - presumably those are the 'projects' yet we don't seemingly have a reserve/development team for them to play in.  And the majority of the other 9 have hardly been ripping up plants.  Then we have de la Paz and Vera who re-signed and Maouche and Nepomuceno who were given new contracts.  How many of those 18 players, the majority of whom have been instrumental in us hovering around the league 2 relegation zone, could have not been signed and that budget been used to put a reasonable offer to Maynard or someone similar?

And then you have the argument that early summer signings of that calibre would then have a positive effect on season ticket sales.  So in summary, nope I don't buy your argument at all.

10 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I don't like the 'blame the stayaway fans' argument.  Last year season ticket sales went up didn't they? Yet the standard of players recruited on the whole was poor (other than loans where it's uncertain what wage contribution we were making if any).

What indications were there for fans considering buying a season ticket that the money would be spent on players of the calibre of Maynard?

Maynard signed for Mansfield at the start of July.  I think from that point we signed 14 players on permanent contracts.  5 of them have barely featured - presumably those are the 'projects' yet we don't seemingly have a reserve/development team for them to play in.  And the majority of the other 9 have hardly been ripping up plants.  Then we have de la Paz and Vera who re-signed and Maouche and Nepomuceno who were given new contracts.  How many of those 18 players, the majority of whom have been instrumental in us hovering around the league 2 relegation zone, could have not been signed and that budget been used to put a reasonable offer to Maynard or someone similar?

And then you have the argument that early summer signings of that calibre would then have a positive effect on season ticket sales.  So in summary, nope I don't buy your argument at all.

100% agree. You could ditch 10 players, buy Maynard (and a hald decent striker) and have a much better squad. That's how bad it is curently.

34 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

BB80 in 'talking bollocks and making excuses for the Lemmies' shocker.

Don't forget, we were told in the summer our budget was 100% better.....

2 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

BB80 in 'talking bollocks and making excuses for the Lemmies' shocker.

Don't forget, we were told in the summer our budget was 100% better.....

The Maynard thing trotted out at the fans forum, along with the mention of Danny Mayor, and other ones we were supposedly linked with (MacFazdean, Clough etc) was all just for show.  "Look, we were in for these great players" etc, yet the reality is the offers were so low they were unrealistic.  To be offering a striker who scored 20 goals in a promotion side the lowest amount of the 8 clubs bidding (including non-league clubs) is a piss take - just a PR offer, not a serious one they would expect to be accepted.

24 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

The Maynard thing trotted out at the fans forum, along with the mention of Danny Mayor, and other ones we were supposedly linked with (MacFazdean, Clough etc) was all just for show.  "Look, we were in for these great players" etc, yet the reality is the offers were so low they were unrealistic.  To be offering a striker who scored 20 goals in a promotion side the lowest amount of the 8 clubs bidding (including non-league clubs) is a piss take - just a PR offer, not a serious one they would expect to be accepted.

It was weird. It's not a yardstick who who you couldn't sign, the only measure is who you actually sign.

14 minutes ago, singe said:

100% agree. You could ditch 10 players, buy Maynard (and a hald decent striker) and have a much better squad. That's how bad it is curently.

Of course our attendances reflect on the quality of player we are able to recruit

Currently the only teams that have lower home attendances than us are:

Cheltenham . Salford . Stevenage . Forest Green . Morecambe . Crawley . Macclesfield

Not quite 'hot beds' of football are they, more like non league clubs

We're not only unable to pay for the likes of a Maynard but additionally we're simply not an attractive proposition for a quality player

Absolutely bonkers the likes of Barry Owen even suggesting that we're serious about signing that level of player

For me, we have a squad of players that is considerably oversized for this league and is just a drain on our limited finances

If we showed signs of recruiting and developing players to then sell them on to help fund the recruitment of better quality players for the 1stX1, the 'strategy' might make more sense

Am hoping there is just one worse performing team in the league this year than us this season but I'm afraid the trapdoor into non league football is being oiled up for us

1 hour ago, tGWB said:

Of course our attendances reflect on the quality of player we are able to recruit

Currently the only teams that have lower home attendances than us are:

Cheltenham . Salford . Stevenage . Forest Green . Morecambe . Crawley . Macclesfield

Not quite 'hot beds' of football are they, more like non league clubs

We're not only unable to pay for the likes of a Maynard but additionally we're simply not an attractive proposition for a quality player

Absolutely bonkers the likes of Barry Owen even suggesting that we're serious about signing that level of player

For me, we have a squad of players that is considerably oversized for this league and is just a drain on our limited finances

If we showed signs of recruiting and developing players to then sell them on to help fund the recruitment of better quality players for the 1stX1, the 'strategy' might make more sense

Am hoping there is just one worse performing team in the league this year than us this season but I'm afraid the trapdoor into non league football is being oiled up for us

Very much agree. Good point about the attendances.

As part of tha. a fear, for me, is that we whilst we might escape this year, (although we are not too good to go down, I'm not betting) it's part of the downward spiral and next year sees more stayaways and our budget decreases but with two down our odds of dropping into non league increase. So this season, with a neat and nimble squad we could have saved some budget for next year.

It's not likely the £200k overspend was anything to do with Corney, I am sure it was expenses of his own making.

1 hour ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

This is beyond tragic.

Yep - if things continue, we are destined to become the "2nd Rochdale" attendances wise.

Unfortunately, we are not as good at running a football club as Rochdale. When Frankie Bunn says to me that he genuinely fears for Latics' future as a professional football club, I tend to give him more credence than the apologists on here.

The bigger the squad and more players you have the more chance there is of striking lucky with one to sell on. Also ingratiates you more with your Agent friends. Putting a decent overall quality on the pitch is secondary .

As has been said before a sensible squad of 24 with a couple of better quality players would put a far better and more competitive product on the pitch.Hopefully this is Dino's plan, but he has s lot of unravelling to do which can't just happen in January, I doubt he will get the time he needs.

1 hour ago, laticsmarra said:

The bigger the squad and more players you have the more chance there is of striking lucky with one to sell on. Also ingratiates you more with your Agent friends. Putting a decent overall quality on the pitch is secondary .

As has been said before a sensible squad of 24 with a couple of better quality players would put a far better and more competitive product on the pitch.Hopefully this is Dino's plan, but he has s lot of unravelling to do which can't just happen in January, I doubt he will get the time he needs.

The scenario in your second paragraph offers the better chance of making a buck on a good ‘un, with the added benefit of making us much less shit?

3 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Yep - if things continue, we are destined to become the "2nd Rochdale" attendances wise.

Unfortunately, we are not as good at running a football club as Rochdale. When Frankie Bunn says to me that he genuinely fears for Latics' future as a professional football club, I tend to give him more credence than the apologists on here.

Who is apologising? And for what? 

Try not to just make things up. 

3 hours ago, wiseowl said:

How come u have suddenly sold out frankie ?

51 minutes ago, League one forever said:

There are people who defend the owner's strategy when it's clearly indefensible. Apologist sounds like a reasonable description to me. 

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

Dont worry. NotSoWiseOwl is quoting the guy who brought in the likes of Giles Coke on a 2-yr Deal and Ishmael Miller who left football coz he admitted himself he had no hunger for it and then has the gall to claim worry over the future of the club. 

As for the rest on here...they still do not “get it” regards the stable of players brought from abroad.

TTA didn’t come here for the love of Oldham. Neither has AL. There is no land to make their money off and revenue streams were crippled by Corney so the plan has clearly been to bring in players they’re connected with in the hope it will make them some money in the long run. Sadly, the plan isn’t working so far. They’re hoping Dino can turn some of these into decent players. But I’ve said it before, there’s been as many dross English-system based players come through the gates than there has Johnny Foreigner over the years. Only chucking serious money at it (and deny it all they want coz they believe it somehow justifies themselves but staying away does affect what can be chucked at it) would get the sort of players to be decent...but either he hasn’t got much of it (how VERY dare he buy us with not much money) or what he did have has mostly been spent clearing up Corneys mess. It’s clear to me it’s the latter seeing as we aren’t in court, under embargo or with players being paid at present. 

This is the reality of the situation. Sticks in the throat of many.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

There are people who defend the owner's strategy when it's clearly indefensible. Apologist sounds like a reasonable description to me. 

And there are those on here who constantly denigrate the club who use the term 'apologist' as easy criticism without having to justify the comment. Another one who has no idea of the owners strategy but finds that lack of knowledge by others indefensible.

I have said before when posters use the phrase 'clearly' they either have no idea or are guessing  what's  is going on.

14 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

And there are those on here who constantly denigrate the club who use the term 'apologist' as easy criticism without having to justify the comment. 

It’s like Brexiteer, Happy Clapper, main stand moaner, Conservative voter 😉

All used as negative descriptors. But in reality, everyone has their own reasons for their opinions. There’s not one reason for anyone’s opinion. I used to be a (famously on here) happy clapper because I had hope. I’d watch every game and be able to say ‘but that ref cost us the game’. ‘But player x made that amazing pass’  ‘If only’ ‘But the manager didn’t have the full squad available’ ‘But they are a much better team with a bigger fanbase/ history than us’.  They are now all moot. I’ve lost all hope now. The Lemsegam reign has done that. So now I’m far from a happy clapper. 

Labels are used throughout all cultures but are only useful if you see them within a context. (And to me, the context of our football club is grim as fuck, indefensible, irreparable, and destructive. I can’t defend it. I can’t support it. 

If people can, great. You deserve the ‘happy clappy’ crown more than I ever did. And, fuck me, I defended a lot of shite. 

Archived