Maamria Appointed

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

I honestly can't believe comments like this!

You being serious? And that Frankie on a wind up "upboating". We lurch from one to another, never any continuity, always stuttering - can you honestly not see that is not healthy for our club?

Can you not now see the blindingly bloody obvious - NOBODY can work as manager/coach for this regime for any length of time.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion 

I was thinking that Maamria will have little time to get to know the players before Saturday but then, given the speed of appointment, maybe this has been on the cards since he was sacked by Stevenage. It could be that he has watched our last two games as I’m not sure may would have recognised him.🤔

Interesting?  Written by his ghost writer?

Stevenage Sack Dino Maamria: Five reasons why EFL clubs should be interested in the Tunisian

Gabriel Sutton by Gabriel Sutton / 09 September 2019, 16:30

Stevenage parted company with manager Dino Maamria on Monday morning, after Saturday’s 4-2 loss at Cheltenham left them 23rd in League Two.

Boro are on the hunt for a new manager - Mark Sampson has been placed in caretaker charge - but what about Maamria himself?

Here’s five reasons why, being out of contract, we think he should attract interest within the EFL.

Force of personality

A lot of football managers use clichés and platitudes – they have been trained to handle situations, with their own players and with the media, in a very diplomatic way.

Maamria may be able to gain advantages over some of those types of managers, because he wears his heart on his sleeve.

When the Tunisian is proud of his players, he will shout it loud and proud: “They got away with one today”, he said of Lincoln City after February’s 2-2 draw at Sincil Bank.

Equally, when Maamria is unhappy with his players, he is not shy to let them know about it.

Maamria will rock the boat, he will rub some people up the wrong way, he will shout at referees, get into confrontations with other managers, praise his players, berate his players and everything in between.

When an EFL club is in danger of stagnation, Maamria can single-handedly drag it forward with the sheer force of his personality.

He ingrains a battling spirit

When Maamria came in, he toughened Boro up so that, when the football did not flow, they were still able to protect their defensive third well, show battling qualities and grind out results.

The introduction of seasoned centre-back Scott Cuthbert, then battle-hardened ball-winner Michael Timlin, meant the team acquired a more brittle dimension to their performances.

Luther Wildin, meanwhile, has gone from being a young right-back rejected by Notts County, forced to ply his trade in non-league to one that will, or should, attract interest from higher up English football’s pyramid.

That is hugely thanks to the work of Maamria, who can and will develop more players like that in the same vein – having the right mentality is key to maximizing a player’s ability and Maamria has the characteristics to drill that into his players.

Unique background

In the modern football fandom, there is a frequent clamour for excitement and change.

Whereas before, managers had spent long periods at their clubs, now supporters often want a new voice, something different.

In some ways, Maamria has been a victim of that at Stevenage – he had lost a job in which he had delivered 14 months’ work of continual progress, over effectively four bad results including the 1-0 loss to Bradford, where they peppered the opposition.

Equally though, Maamria can be a beneficiary of that culture too – with a unique background, he represents something different to the norm.

He was brought up in the Saharan desert in south Tunisia which shows, if nothing else, that this is somebody who has not got into football via the route everyone else has – and that means his relationship with the etiquette of the English game is different to that of other managers.

There is something very raw and unpolished about him which stands out and a lot of fans take to that.

Because supporters are the only ones who stick by their club while owners, managers and players come and go, there can be a tendency for some to question whether the manager feels the emotion in the same way that they do.

Because Maamria is so emotionally engaged in the teams he takes charge of, fans can see how much he cares, and they therefore identify with him more – which can help create valuable momentum.

Track record

When Maamria took over at Nuneaton in October 2017, they were languishing one place above the relegation zone.

Identifying the need to re-organize his side, Maamria soon led the club to a ten-game unbeaten run, during which time Nuneaton conceded only six goals so, when he left in March 2018, they were within five points of the Play-Off places.

He took over Stevenage when they were 16th in League Two – 17 points off the top seven – and led them to a 10th-placed finish in 2018-19, just one point shy of Newport, who missed out on promotion by losing a very even Play-Off Final to Tranmere in extra-time.

Essentially, this is a manager who has a history of converting teams in the bottom half, possibly looking over their shoulders, into ones that are competing for the Play-Offs – and without necessarily needing huge budgets in the process.

Tactical awareness improving

Boro were seven points off the Play-Offs after concluding March with a 3-0 home defeat to would-be relegated Notts County yet impressively, they still made a late charge.

Part of that was down to Maamria’s incredible force of personality, which we have discussed above, as well as the form of QPR loanee Ilias Chair.

However, another big factor was the change of formation to 3-4-3, with Alex Revell dropping out then Manny Sonupe and Chair flanking Kurtis Guthrie, who scored seven goals in the final six games of the campaign.

Dino has admitted himself that he would not consider himself to be the greatest tactician in the world – and yes, there are question marks about his side’s use of the ball in the first seven games of the current season.

However, if the 48-year-old were to take some time out of the game to reflect on his time at Stevenage, think about what he needs to learn and give himself a break, his next suitors could really benefit.

What with being deeply embroiled in the Corney era, then deeply embroiled in this, I wonder if Barry Owen feels proud of himself tonight. 

He probably does. 

He should have found something else to nurture his ego other than football because to be involved in one football travesty could be considered unlucky. To be involved in two is damning. 

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

I honestly can't believe comments like this!

You being serious? And that Frankie on a wind up "upboating". We lurch from one to another, never any continuity, always stuttering - can you honestly not see that is not healthy for our club?

Can you not now see the blindingly bloody obvious - NOBODY can work as manager/coach for this regime for any length of time.

Your see he will get the best out of this bunch watch this space

14 minutes ago, Nohairdontcare said:

What with being deeply embroiled in the Corney era, then deeply embroiled in this, I wonder if Barry Owen feels proud of himself tonight. 

He probably does. 

He should have found something else to nurture his ego other than football because to be involved in one football travesty could be considered unlucky. To be involved in two is damning. 

He's so self absorbed he's probably disappeared up his own arse hole.

Few things:

1.) Stevenage under Maamria (will await how badly that is misspelled on here) was one of the few sides where I felt the difference in quality of the manager was evident on the pitch last season. He was up against Scholes, though. 

2.) He clearly speaks English, Arabic and is almost certainly going to speak French too. So is a very good fit for our dressing room. 

3.) The speed of the appointment makes me think he was lined up well in advance. Perhaps he was contacted prior to Banide's appointment but Stevenage, who finished above us last season, wanted more than we were willing to offer for compensation. As he was recently sacked by Stevenage that doesn't apply, so we sacked Banide and appointed Maamria. 

4.) The video of this shocking challenge is going round Twitter as I've not seen it on here, I thought I should bring it to the attention of those who don't use Twitter. 

5.) You have to feel a bit for Banide, despite our League position, there weren't any calls for him to be sacked. But low and behold he is. Perhaps it had something to do with him calling some of our players cowards, especially who that is likely to refer to. 

6 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Few things:

1.) Stevenage under Maamria (will await how badly that is misspelled on here) was one of the few sides where I felt the difference in quality of the manager was evident on the pitch last season. He was up against Scholes, though. 

2.) He clearly speaks English, Arabic and is almost certainly going to speak French too. So is a very good fit for our dressing room. 

3.) The speed of the appointment makes me think he was lined up well in advance. Perhaps he was contacted prior to Banide's appointment but Stevenage, who finished above us last season, wanted more than we were willing to offer for compensation. As he was recently sacked by Stevenage that doesn't apply, so we sacked Banide and appointed Maamria. 

4.) The video of this shocking challenge is going round Twitter as I've not seen it on here, I thought I should bring it to the attention of those who don't use Twitter. 

5.) You have to feel a bit for Banide, despite our League position, there weren't any calls for him to be sacked. But low and behold he is. Perhaps it had something to do with him calling some of our players cowards, especially who that is likely to refer to. 

This is all probably accurate.

I'm guessing after the Bunn/Scholes reigns that AL gave a decree to Barry/whoever makes decisions at OAFC that he ideally wanted someone from a North African background who knows the Football League. Maamria fits the bill. Wasn't he interviewed before Banide got it? He was (again, just guessing) probably top pick but there was some issue with Stevenage/contract. Once he becomes free (i.e.sacked by Stevenage), he's in.

In a way, it kinda makes sense from AL's perspective, even if it doesn't excuse all the other crazy shite emanating from the club. 

9 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I was thinking that Maamria will have little time to get to know the players before Saturday but then, given the speed of appointment, maybe this has been on the cards since he was sacked by Stevenage. It could be that he has watched our last two games as I’m not sure may would have recognised him.🤔

Not the last 2 games at any rate. 

For some reason I can’t see Dino taking shite from the Lemsagams.  Hopefully they leave him to it but he’s hamstrung with the dross he’s inherited.

Could be a shrewd move.  I too agree that he’s been in the pipeline even before Banide was signed but was contracted to Stevenage.  Tunisian so will mostly likely speak Arabic and French to converse with manager and players.  Been here since 96 so very good English, knows our leagues very well.  Did well at Stevenage last season and has a history of kickstarting poor performing teams onto winning streaks (albeit those squads most probably had better players than us).

Stick two up front, recall Nepo and you look like you can handle yourself in centre of defence ... in the words of Mickey from Snatch “y’er a big fecker, ain’t yer”

15 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Stevenage-supporting friend suggests he could be a favourite for BP1960:

Still a favourite in Stevenage. Nice guy. Good coach. Great with fans. Tactically limited. Don't expect tiki taka and wingbacks.

The question is though - do we have the players at the club who can play a more ‘tactically limited’ game? 

If we are going to see a return to a more basic footballing approach (ie. lump it forward to two big strikers a la Scunthorpe tactic midweek) who do we have on our books?

Sefil up front anyone?

11 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The question is though - do we have the players at the club who can play a more ‘tactically limited’ game? 

If we are going to see a return to a more basic footballing approach (ie. lump it forward to two big strikers a la Scunthorpe tactic midweek) who do we have on our books?

Sefil up front anyone?

We certainly have enough tactically limited players though.

Very strange.

He was favourite for the job in the summer when at Stevenage.

Anyone think it's a bit strange as soon as he becomes a free agent we sack our manager and appoint him?

Did he do poorly at Stevenage to force the sack?
Was Banide just an interim all along?

Don't think this has much to do with Banide being sacked it's more Dino was available and that's who the owners wanted from the start.

All this Dino won't accept any rubbish from them, he surely knows what he's getting into and they already have an arrangement of how it'll work ....

Archived