Dino Maamria - Departure Watch

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I don't really get that.  Sylla and Missilou have always been here, so could have been played in a midfield 2.  Smith has always been here.  We've had Morais instead of Nepo, but he's a winger so is hardly a massive change.  The only difference is Rowe and Dearnley coming in really.  Wilson has done well in this league as part of a pair, but he was never given that chance in the first half of the season.  Given the results and performances were generally bad, it's strange he never gave his supposed preferred formation a try with 2 of Azankpo/Wilson/Vera/Emmerson/Maouche.

Unless he means that before Piergianni the defence was too shaky for Sylla/Missilou to play as a 2?  Doesn't quite stack up for me.  Although, obviously its a positive the change was made.

It doesn’t stack up for me either, but that was his explanation. 

Players might not be as good granted,  but it didn’t mean he needed to persist with 4-5-1 which quite obviously wasn’t working. 

On the back of two wins, Dino having a laugh and a joke when he came in to the room on Tuesday night, it seemed to turn some into putty in his hands. 

It was a good event, he’s engaging, a good talker, but I’m still a cynic and need actions not words to convince me otherwise.  He wasn’t asked directly who picked the team, I didn’t seem the point in asking as we know the answer we’ll get, if it’s true or not. 

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Theoutsider said:

It doesn’t stack up for me either, but that was his explanation. 

Players might not be as good granted,  but it didn’t mean he needed to persist with 4-5-1 which quite obviously wasn’t working. 

On the back of two wins, Dino having a laugh and a joke when he came in to the room on Tuesday night, it seemed to turn some into putty in his hands. 

It was a good event, he’s engaging, a good talker, but I’m still a cynic and need actions not words to convince me otherwise.  He wasn’t asked directly who picked the team, I didn’t seem the point in asking as we know the answer we’ll get, if it’s true or not. 

For me he comes across in interviews, and in the forum a while back, as a very good salesman.  Talks well and is very convincing.  And I'm always a bit wary of people with that quality!

I'm sick of us changing managers, and it'd be nice to have some continuity.  So I'm hoping the form will continue.  A few big tests coming up though so we'll see.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

As with all his interviews he contradicts himself at times. He says he signs the players. But then admits he didn’t sign Rowe. 

Whats the definition of signing a player?

Is it the identification of the player, the negotiation with the player/selling club or the contract signature or all 3?

I suspect Dino+scouts (including ML), then AL+ML, then Dino+AL+ML

Does Dino get final say I think is the important question. Him hopefully having taken into account the impact a particular player will have on his budget and whether that player is worth the gamble.

27 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

For me he comes across in interviews, and in the forum a while back, as a very good salesman.  Talks well and is very convincing.  And I'm always a bit wary of people with that quality!

I'm sick of us changing managers, and it'd be nice to have some continuity.  So I'm hoping the form will continue.  A few big tests coming up though so we'll see.

Dino took up the reins on September 19 - so he has been in charge just over four and a half months.  Which is longer than Banide, Wilde (second time around) and Scholes. 

If  he is still here at the start of next season he will be our longest serving manager of the last four years. 😉

50 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Agree with you on  all of that.

If he is with the players as he is in public, could see how he’d build you up and fill you with confidence, albeit I know there is evidence to suggest that doesn’t happen. 

Someone with his type of personality though is maybe what the club needs to move forward. 

Hopefully he is the right man for the job in other aspects as well and he does stick around. Not convinced he is, but this constant chopping and changing is ridiculous and has got to stop sometime. 

1 hour ago, Theoutsider said:

Never played 1 up front previously, he likes two strikers pressing from the front, but that the squad previously cried out for 4-5-1

I've been critical of Dino but I can understand that comment as i've thought it myself previously.

it was either a choice of playing 3 good midfielders + 1 shit striker in a 4-5-1

or playing 2 good midfielders + 2 shit strikers in a 4-4-2.

So basically dropping a decent player for a shit one (although he did that anyway when giving Jones a run of games).

Having two good strikers now obviously gives us more options so lets hope he continues to pick the right team.

4 hours ago, Theoutsider said:

I went - it was him and the assistant manger. 

Everything said wasn’t on Twitter. 

Dino is very charismatic and he definitely has a presence.  Some people seemed to get taken in by this. 

As with all his interviews he contradicts himself at times. He says he signs the players. But then admits he didn’t sign Rowe. 

Talked about local players, for example why does he need to get a left back from Plymouth with the costs that come with it. Well connected in non-league and will potentially look to take advantage of that with the best local players from that level. 

There were no questions off limits, although it descended into people offering opinions about certain players and the way in which we should be playing at times. 

As such, there wasn’t really anything revolutionary that came out of it or that isn’t really already known. Probably why it isn’t all over Twitter as there isn’t really much to say. 

It was good though overall and he says he wants to do more. He talked about momentum and positivity and how this is important in football. I did point out to him (as did another guy in particular) that I felt it starts on the pitch but that also everything off the pitch needs to get sorted too to move forward. All that seemed a bit over his head to be honest and I don’t think he really understands the history or issues. But then I guess should he? He’s a football manager, not a Director, so maybe expecting him to is unrealistic. 

Natalie Atkinson, Mikey, Dean Pickering and Sue Bowskill all also present, but they sat on a table and listened rather than contributed. NA did mention the fact the academy has just maintained its status. There was a suggestion it had been in a mess and that Paul Murray has had a lot of work to do to fix it. 

Did anyone ask what's happened with Morais? 

31 minutes ago, hinchy said:

Whats the definition of signing a player?

Is it the identification of the player, the negotiation with the player/selling club or the contract signature or all 3?

I suspect Dino+scouts (including ML), then AL+ML, then Dino+AL+ML

Does Dino get final say I think is the important question. Him hopefully having taken into account the impact a particular player will have on his budget and whether that player is worth the gamble.

Yes final say is the most important bit. 

I didn’t get the chance to ask, but the thought went through my mind that if he wants to play a high pressing game, where does Danny Rowe fit in to this, as he certainly isn’t that type of player. 

That type of comment also that meant I referenced the fact he contradicts himself, as he then spoke about Rowe in glowing terms. 

Like most people with any power/seniority there is a hell of a lot of hot air rather than reality of the situation. 

Just now, super_blue said:

Did anyone asked what's happened with Morais? 

Yep - me!

It was then followed up by someone else. 

Dino said he’s gone back to Crawley, referencing cost, footballing ability, distance, age. 

The fact he was playing him until they had a spat was conveniently forgotten about / not mentioned 

Pretty sure Mikey has since put on Twitter that he hasn’t actually gone back yet and is training with the club though, which is why it hasn’t been announced. 

Before Rowe and Dearnley we didn't have anyone he could play who could hold the ball up front so putting two there, which he did flirt with at time, would have been a mistake.  The spine is all important and at last we have one.

Some on here seem to forget the run of results he had before the three losses and all those draws.

7 hours ago, Theoutsider said:

Yep - me!

It was then followed up by someone else. 

Dino said he’s gone back to Crawley, referencing cost, footballing ability, distance, age. 

The fact he was playing him until they had a spat was conveniently forgotten about / not mentioned 

Pretty sure Mikey has since put on Twitter that he hasn’t actually gone back yet and is training with the club though, which is why it hasn’t been announced. 

Thanks. I wondered what spin he’d put on it! 

3 hours ago, Steve_R said:

To be fair to Dino, I could be the biggest fan of 4-4-2 there is, but if the only 'strikers' I had were Azankpo and Wilson, I'd play another system.

I think that's harsh on Wilson. It's probably generous about Desire though. 

11 hours ago, Steve_R said:

To be fair to Dino, I could be the biggest fan of 4-4-2 there is, but if the only 'strikers' I had were Azankpo and Wilson, I'd play another system.

Which really is what its down too.

Its all well and good saying play 2 upfront but if you don't have 1 good striker at the club then why waste 2 starting spots on 2 players that don't deserve it.

Our problems this season were down to recruitment this summer. We have atleast begun to make efforts to repair it last month but we have nowhere near the level of squad that will get us out if this division.

The formation doesn't really matter you can make any system work if you have the players to do so.

20 hours ago, Theoutsider said:

If he is with the players as he is in public, could see how he’d build you up and fill you with confidence, albeit I know there is evidence to suggest that doesn’t happen. 

It seems to me that, when speaking to the media, Dino does single out certain players for praise. I have no doubt that this is an approach designed to build the confidence of the player and also, to a certain extent, influence opinion among the fan base.

He describes certain individuals as being leaders in the dressing room and also speaks of using the performance of others on the pitch as examples of how he wants the team to play. All good stuff.

I still find his pitch side direction a little overbearing but these are the guys he works with all week so I can only assume that they are used to this.

The team is playing well at the moment but it needs to continue - success breeds confidence and the results will follow. 

A tough game today but a good indicator of where we are in our progress as a team. 

On 2/7/2020 at 9:46 AM, Theoutsider said:

I went - it was him and the assistant manger. 

Everything said wasn’t on Twitter. 

Dino is very charismatic and he definitely has a presence.  Some people seemed to get taken in by this. 

Talked about local players, for example why does he need to get a left back from Plymouth with the costs that come with it. Well connected in non-league and will potentially look to take advantage of that with the best local players from that level. 

There were no questions off limits, although it descended into people offering opinions about certain players and the way in which we should be playing at times. 

As such, there wasn’t really anything revolutionary that came out of it or that isn’t really already known. Probably why it isn’t all over Twitter as there isn’t really much to say. 

It was good though overall and he says he wants to do more. He talked about momentum and positivity and how this is important in football. I did point out to him (as did another guy in particular) that I felt it starts on the pitch but that also everything off the pitch needs to get sorted too to move forward. All that seemed a bit over his head to be honest and I don’t think he really understands the history or issues. But then I guess should he? He’s a football manager, not a Director, so maybe expecting him to is unrealistic. 

Natalie Atkinson, Mikey, Dean Pickering and Sue Bowskill all also present, but they sat on a table and listened rather than contributed. NA did mention the fact the academy has just maintained its status. There was a suggestion it had been in a mess and that Paul Murray has had a lot of work to do to fix it. 

Cheers for the write up. The more Q&A we have the better the trust will be and hopefully Dino will cut some of the spin because on the pitch  is doing the talking.
It's a relief that things there are going so much better.

The highlighted bit about the Academy has irritated me, because it shows that they are not learning. WE need the off the pitch stuff to be sorted to go forward (as everyon knows)
Why is it a mess? They suspended the long standing lead for an age.
They appointed one of the coaches, PW, and moved him to the 1st team months later, then back, then he left. 

As so often, the things they criticise for are often self inflicted, but never acknowledged.

I'm glad Danny C and PM are there though. Good appointments. Those type of appointments give me hope, but same old same old.

8 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

In what way, Flem? same team, same set up just didn’t play as well as previous 2 games and we’re away against a better side. We tired and wasted time but don’t most away sides do that?

Tired, just had a week off.

49 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

In what way, Flem? same team, same set up just didn’t play as well as previous 2 games and we’re away against a better side. We tired and wasted time but don’t most away sides do that?

Wasn’t the same side though was it 

1 hour ago, Stainrod said:

No most away teams don’t get tired and waste time,

2 hours ago, Stainrod said:

And wasnt the same set up in the second half. 4-5-1 switching to 9-1-0

Archived