Cheltenham (H)⚽️

11 hours ago, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

No, they're were better than us for most of the first half too I thought.

Disagree with the first half analysis although they did use the ball better. I thought the first half was far better than most games I have watched us play in League one. Both teams looking to go forward. 

Second half, they went 3-5-2 and had that extra man in midfield. They looked fitter and with Egert tiring, that extra man looked like 2. They also looked far more accurate in the final third whereas we were like headless chooks at times.

Hamers miss was atrocious. Looks like he took his eye off the ball. Granted, he is not a striker, but it was unacceptable.

I like Maouche up front. Gives defenders something to think about.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, losesome said:

There's a huge difference in running about when you have the ball and chasing after it when you don't. 

Too true. This reminded me of a classic line years ago by Clive James (who wrote the great TV reviews in the Observer in the 70s), on Scotland v Peru in the 1978 World Cup:

"the Peruvians revealed an ability to run faster with the ball than the Scots could run without it". 😂

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

He put that one on a plate for Hamer who should have done better.

But I stand by what I've said he was a passenger for most of the second half and overall hes fucking shit.

He's not helped by the fact that the 2 behind him can't pass a ball and while both Sylla and Missilou are good ball winners and willing runners neither are capable of keeping hold of the ball or creating anything as a result we struggle to build attacks through midfield.

So...

despite the fact that Maouche created 4 good chances for Missilou, Hamer and Segbe (2) 

despite the fact that Maouche had 2 good attempts himself

despite the fact that on several occasions he was fouled when attempting to break forward

despite the fact that Cheltenham had us under pressure for huge periods of the game 

And all of the above were in the second half - you stand by your comment that he was a passenger for most of the second half? 

I can only surmise that you:

1. Didn’t actually watch the second half

2. Don’t actually know who Maouche is

3. Need to go to Specsavers

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that Maouche had his best game yesterday but I am asking for a fair assessment of his play not a blinkered ‘he’s shite’ statement that betrays a specific agenda.

9 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

So...

despite the fact that Maouche created 4 good chances for Missilou, Hamer and Segbe (2) 

despite the fact that on several occasions he was fouled when attempting to break forward

despite the fact that Cheltenham had us under pressure for huge periods of the game 

And all of the above were in the second half - you stand by your comment that he was a passenger for most of the second half? 

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that Maouche had his best game yesterday but I am asking for a fair assessment of his play not a blinkered ‘he’s shite’ statement that betrays a specific agenda.

Not getting a fair assessment off Glossop. I'd accept that and move on

9 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

So...

Wait being fouled when attempting to break forward is somekind of achievement now. So you didn't score you didn't get an assist You played in a midfield that got completely dominated in the second half but you were fouled a few times when attempting to break forward. Great here's the bottle of champagne.

1. Yes I watched the second half where we were comfortably second best at home to Cheltenham Town.

2. Yes I know who he is hence why I could identify him as fucking shit.

3. My eyesight is fine.

If my agenda is because he symbolises everything that is wrong with the club right now then yeah I have an agenda against him. So what.

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

Wait being fouled when attempting to break forward is somekind of achievement now. So you didn't score you didn't get an assist You played in a midfield that got completely dominated in the second half but you were fouled a few times when attempting to break forward. Great here's the bottle of champagne.

1. Yes I watched the second half where we were comfortably second best at home to Cheltenham Town.

3. My eyesight is fine.

If my agenda is because he symbolises everything that is wrong with the club right now then yeah I have an agenda against him. So what.

As I thought - Thanks for the confirmation. 😉

8 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

3. My eyesight is fine.

I've few clues as to whether he's good, bad or indifferent because my interest in going to find out has been close to extinguished. And I'm clearly not alone in that. 

15 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Not blaming Dino for today, simply saying what I saw towards the end of Banides spell was good possession based football. 

Totally agree but banide’s cv was a lot better and think he’s likely a better coach. He did have all ore season and 5-6 games though before we saw progress. Dino will need time to get his ideas across and he has his hands tied with what we have available. I fear though unless he wins games soon he’ll be fired by Jan as expectation is wrongly that we should be higher up. We are right where I expect us to finish 

5 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Totally agree but banide’s cv was a lot better and think he’s likely a better coach. He did have all ore season and 5-6 games though before we saw progress. Dino will need time to get his ideas across and he has his hands tied with what we have available. I fear though unless he wins games soon he’ll be fired by Jan as expectation is wrongly that we should be higher up. We are right where I expect us to finish 

If he goes in January so should another from the club completely..The Sporting director. 

For some reason we know it wouldn't happen though.

Maouche, Missilou and Sylla have started 8 of our 12 league games together.  We got 6 points from those 8 games.  That midfield 3 is surely the only real consistent part of our starting 11 - the defence has chopped and changed a lot, as have the wingers and striker - and we're hovering around the relegation zone.  Isn't it now time to look at something different in the middle of the park?

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

So...

I thought Maouche did well in the strikers role and closed down well.

He'd have stayed there with Morais in midfield, but for a weakness where Cheltenham were targeting the cumbersome Lacovitti.

I'd keep him there and leave out Sylla or Missilou, bringing in Eagles to accommodate  this formation.

Smith-Brown should also be considered to add some pace to the left flank.

Problem is Maouche is a 60 minute man lacking stamina, and not subbing him has been a big mistake IMO.

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I thought Maouche did well in the strikers role and closed down well.

He'd have stayed there with Morais in midfield, but for a weakness where Cheltenham were targeting the cumbersome Lacovitti.

I'd keep him there and leave out Sylla or Missilou, bringing in Eagles to accommodate  this formation.

Smith-Brown should also be considered to add some pace to the left flank.

Problem is Maouche is a 60 minute man lacking stamina, and not subbing him has been a big mistake IMO.

I'd agree with most of your post apart from Sm[th-Brown, although will admit Iacovitti's limitations are more obvious at full back, so left back is a major problem.

Your final point is paramount. 

He is apparently un-subable despite being out on his feet after an hour or so.

What really annoyed me about his performance yesterday was after being dragged back well in his own half ( and the culprit rightly booked ) he took the opportunity to whinge at the ref then skulk away instead of just getting on with the game. 

He can play football but is too eager to dwell on the ball instead of moving it quickly forward, hence he gets tackled in possession a lot.

However his attitude is poor.

Which makes it even more unfathomable him being made captain at the start of the season.

6 hours ago, tGWB said:

3,496 was the 3rd lowest crowd in League2 yesterday, with only Colchester 3,331 and Forest Green 2,136 lower. 

A mix of fans being disillusioned with the way their club has been managed over the last decade and lack of success on the pitch is really biting now into attendance numbers.

Fingers crossed that our attendances have bottomed out and there isn’t any further reductions but its fair to say our next home games v Macclesfield, Walsall and Northampton cant be described as mouth watering. 

And we’re heading into winter . . . 

I was really surprised when I heard the attendance. There were supposedly around 3300 home fans which is 300 more than the last home game. Looking around the stadium I thought there were fewer fans than the previous game.

5 minutes ago, al_bro said:

I was really surprised when I heard the attendance. There were supposedly around 3300 home fans which is 300 more than the last home game. Looking around the stadium I thought there were fewer fans than the previous game.

There was a bit more noise too from the Athleticos.

18 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Me too, were there some freebies handed out to schools or is that just for the Macclesfield game? 

4 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Whether he did or didn't he'll still spout the usual.

Missilou I'd put as our most saleable asset at the moment. Sylla also coming on massively. 

When do their contracts run to?

15 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

When do their contracts run to?

Missilou is on  one year contract he signed one in the summer after his 1 year deal came here came to an end. Guessing he didn't get too many other offers from other clubs.

I like Missilou but him and Sylla are essentially just ball winners they can run and tackle but can't do much else. Which is one of the main reasons we spent the majority of the 2nd half chasing Cheltenham Town around Boundary Park yesterday. When we did get the ball we just gave it them back. Because not only did we have nothing upfront but we couldn't pass the ball through the midfield either.

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

Missilou is on  one year contract he signed one in the summer after his 1 year deal came here came to an end. Guessing he didn't get too many other offers from other clubs.

Thought so in terms of contract length but I think we took up an option.  In terms of saleability - not really on that basis.

Archived