Let's have something to cheer about

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Just been having a look at the championship table, looks much more traditional rugby league than where they’ve just been promoted from. Didn’t even know half of those clubs existed, Rugby league in Coventry? 

Toulouse away could be decent trip 😎

Yes, Flybe fly to Toulouse on a Friday for the Saturday game and back on the Sunday!!!

2 minutes ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Just been having a look at the championship table, looks much more traditional rugby league than where they’ve just been promoted from. Didn’t even know half of those clubs existed, Rugby league in Coventry? 

Toulouse away could be decent trip 😎

Some decent grounds too at the likes of Fev, Dewsbury, Widnes, Leigh etc..

53 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Be one hell of a jump to a Grand Finalist club

I get what you are saying but next season Salford lose Hastings along with 3 or 4 other players, just trying to fit pieces together not saying it will definitely happen. 

9 minutes ago, ShireBlue said:

Some decent grounds too at the likes of Fev, Dewsbury, Widnes, Leigh etc..

I used to watch them in the late 80s, early 90s and watched them all over with my dad...Hull was always an eye opener with their supporters, was it Hull or Hull KR that had the head-the-ball supporters I can’t remember? Fell out with the game around the time when Super League was being planned, was it the proposed merger with Salford that was being suggested that pushed me away, I can’t remember? Anyway 

Best of luck to them and I might just take a game or two in. 

1 minute ago, Dick_Valentine said:

I used to watch them in the late 80s, early 90s and watched them all over with my dad...Hull was always an eye opener with their supporters, was it Hull or Hull KR that had the head-the-ball supporters I can’t remember? Fell out with the game around the time when Super League was being planned, was it the proposed merger with Salford that was being suggested that pushed me away, I can’t remember? Anyway 

I go back to the 70s in the time of Phil Larder and especially Mike Elliott

Remember going to a semi final at Headingly with my dad in 1964? Our hooker Len Mcintyre dropped a goal in the last minute for a draw

Oldham were winning the replay comfortably ( at Swinton) when the game was abandoned due to bad light , no floodlights ffS!!!!!

Lost the third game and never made Wembley much to my late dads annoyance . Glad he cant see Oldham playing at Whitebank as opposed to Watersheddings !!

Guest Stanley30
3 hours ago, disjointed said:

I get what you are saying but next season Salford lose Hastings along with 3 or 4 other players, just trying to fit pieces together not saying it will definitely happen. 

I think you added 2 and 2 and got 11 there. Never gonna happen

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I go back to the 70s in the time of Phil Larder and especially Mike Elliott

you had to mention phil larder far to many memories of miserable PE lessons at saddleworth school only thing i enjoyed was cross country as we got away from him 

5 minutes ago, peanuts said:

you had to mention phil larder far to many memories of miserable PE lessons at saddleworth school only thing i enjoyed was cross country as we got away from him 

My younger brother suffered but only for a year.

5 minutes ago, peanuts said:

Quite ironic that "Phyliss" Larder became a defensive coach as he didn't have a tackle in him when he played centre for Oldham. 

He did look good as he glided forward with the ball and had a great body swerve. 

21 hours ago, Dick_Valentine said:

It was Hull Dick...they used to bring thousands to the Sheddings in their prime and outnumber the home fans 2/1! There was usually a fair bit of trouble, mostly with the coppers!

Watched them a fair bit in the 80's and 90's losing 3 Challenge Cup Semi finals, but abysmal financial management and chasing the dream ultimately cost them dear... 

My Dad was a big Oldham fan. Never missed a game till an accident stopped him going. He really tried to get me to become a fan, but Latics won. When I did go with him we would stand on the side on some big wooden steps at Watersheddings. Everyone would move sideways with the game without realising it. He would be very upset now if he knew what had happened to his beloved team.

A great shame what happened at 'Sheddings.

Too many people taking from a small pie and a Committee towards the end who by and large put themselves before the club.

"New" floodlights half of which didn't work; a hired JCB (owned by a Committee member I'm told) permanently on site seldom used; multiple complimentary tickets given out (got told this by an ex player who refused one, preferring to pay); replaced the voluntary supporters who manned the ground and tea bars with outside organisations; taxied bar staff in from Bradford instead of utilising locals.

Many call Chris Hamilton but he's done a great job on a miniscule budget to keep Oldham afloat, let alone promoted.        

I remember playing football for Bluecoat at Saddleworth and I asked Phil Larder which pitch we were playing on, “pitch three” he said, “ which one is that sir?” I said, “the third one along you pillock” he answered.

Larder was an absolute tool at Saddleworth.  Gave me my one and only detention for, “playing table tennis without permission” 🤣🤣🤣

Eddie Barton was a sports teacher there at the same time.  Pretty sure he played for Oldham too in the early eighties.  Nice bloke.

We did have a pretty decent rugby team though and produced some great players, particularly Mike Ford whose lad George is now starring for England at the World Cup in Japan.

1 hour ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Larder was an absolute tool at Saddleworth.  Gave me my one and only detention for, “playing table tennis without permission” 🤣🤣🤣

Eddie Barton was a sports teacher there at the same time.  Pretty sure he played for Oldham too in the early eighties.  Nice bloke.

Eddie B! Was teaching science when I was there.

I was taken to Sheddings by my dad, and then BP during the early Super League years. Vividly remember drawing with PSG with a late drop-goal!

Only went occasionally after it all went balls-up financially, but I’ve recently got the RL bug back, and look forward to attending more regularly.

Never really been a big RL fan despite being brought up less than a mile from Sheddings. I was there for the 10-8 win over Wigan in the Cup though when Paddy Kirwan scored a last minute try and Mick Burke kicked the goal. Great night that, think Wigan won it about 8 times on the trot after that. 

I'm a midget so it didn't take Phil Larder long to put me off playing Rugby forever!

Eddie B was palying for Barrow when he was teaching us IIRC.

I think a few of us on here might have even been in the same year.

Mike Ford was in the year above me.

IIRC Tim Street was the year below, or my younger brothers year, he played quite a bit too.

1 hour ago, singe said:

I'm a midget so it didn't take Phil Larder long to put me off playing Rugby forever!

Eddie B was palying for Barrow when he was teaching us IIRC.

I think a few of us on here might have even been in the same year.

Mike Ford was in the year above me.

IIRC Tim Street was the year below, or my younger brothers year, he played quite a bit too.

I played prop and sounds like I was a couple of years above you Singe.

Steve Robinson was in the year above me.  He played on the wing for the Rougheyeds.

Neither him nor Tim Street have made the “notable alumni” page on Wikipedia though.  Same goes for Don Young 😳😳😳

Archived