Mansfield (A)

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

article in todays paper , if you support  a losing team you are 29% more likely to have a heart attack than if you support a winning one!

so I reckon I have 1 day left!!

Seriously yesterday was the first time I couldn't be arsed being annoyed at losing , cant believe these bastards have done this to my passion and my club

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Keep saying Hamer doesn't turn well and stop crosses coming in..has a great attitude, but why havent the coaches sorted this flaw?

Because he has had no continuity of coaching. Leave for the sake of your career young man. 

14 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Because he has had no continuity of coaching. Leave for the sake of your career young man. 

Would be his best option like George..dread to think how he would have suffered if he'd stayed here this season.

25 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Oh dear.

Mike Halliwell on Twitter reckons he went down out of concern for Fage before “rushing” to hospital... He went off 30 minutes prior to this photo!

Mo on the bench and Vera starting was a huge two fingers to the fans after Thursday from the Lemmys IMO.

Wow 😮 

I have now watched the highlights of Saturday’s debacle a number of times. Funnily enough it doesn’t get any better with each successive viewing...

Now I know that we are only five games (if we include the Leasing.com trophy match) into Dino’s tenure. And I think that we all accept that the manager has to pick from the pool of players at his disposal so in that respect he is somewhat at a disadvantage.

Dino quickly recognised that we desperately need that striker who can lead the line and score goals but also that he has to work with he’s got.

However the performance against Mansfield showed a team that is badly organised at the back. Opposition forwards are simply not picked up and there seems to be a lack of structure and shape to our overall play. The lack of discipline from Morais and Egert is also extremely worrying. Both challenges that led to their respective cards were poorly judged. 

Two down and with only nine men on the pitch after 38 minutes meant that a heavy defeat was inevitable. And though I believe the penalty award was extremely harsh, the rest of the defending was calamitous - park football sums it up nicely.

I would expect to see the manager to instil more discipline on the team shape and attitude. A week on the training pitch before Macclesfield - time to step up Dino.

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Wow 😮 

I have now watched the highlights of Saturday’s debacle a number of times. Funnily enough it doesn’t get any better with each successive viewing...

Now I know that we are only five games (if we include the Leasing.com trophy match) into Dino’s tenure. And I think that we all accept that the manager has to pick from the pool of players at his disposal so in that respect he is somewhat at a disadvantage.

Dino quickly recognised that we desperately need that striker who can lead the line and score goals but also that he has to work with he’s got.

However the performance against Mansfield showed a team that is badly organised at the back. Opposition forwards are simply not picked up and there seems to be a lack of structure and shape to our overall play. The lack of discipline from Morais and Egert is also extremely worrying. Both challenges that led to their respective cards were poorly judged. 

Two down and with only nine men on the pitch after 38 minutes meant that a heavy defeat was inevitable. And though I believe the penalty award was extremely harsh, the rest of the defending was calamitous - park football sums it up nicely.

I would expect to see the manager to instil more discipline on the team shape and attitude. A week on the training pitch before Macclesfield - time to step up Dino.

One genuine question, how can Dino possibly step up given the rabble at his disposal? Given he's going to lose three of our best players in the next game, Fage, Egert and Morais. He's got an impossible job and honestly I'd take second bottom come the end of the season now.

1 hour ago, OAFC1984 said:

Mike Halliwell on Twitter reckons he went down out of concern for Fage before “rushing” to hospital... He went off 30 minutes prior to this photo!

Mo on the bench and Vera starting was a huge two fingers to the fans after Thursday from the Lemmys IMO.

You lost me at Mike Halliwell......

17 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You lost me at Mike Halliwell......

I didn’t know who he was either - apparently he is one of the admins of that deluded facebook group 

and according to the tweet (that i now cant find) sits with Bazz and Mo

36 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Two down and with only nine men on the pitch after 38 minutes meant that a heavy defeat was inevitable. 

I've had similar conversations over the weekend in relation to this point. In 18 years (7 years old when I started) of playing and coaching football, why is anything "inevitable"? 

Numerical disadvantage can be tough and challenging but we're talking professional football here. 

So, let's have a look what you do when down to 9 men being 2-0 down before they are sent off. You start with being solid but having an outlet at the same time. Not easy but can be done. You go to a formation that could see you break if/when you retrieve the ball. Personally, I would go 431. From there, you soak up pressure. Accept that you will be without the ball 75% of the time and make sure you don't get hammered. How do you do this? Well, you defend as a unit. Defend your box. Let them have the ball in areas that won't hurt you (25 yards away from goal) and let them feed it out wide. Make sure everything or at least 95% of the time the play is played in front of you and keep 7 players, 8 including the keeper behind the ball defending the penalty area. From there, any balls that come into the box you challenge for or at least make it hard for them to have a clear effort on goal, whether that be from a header or via a shot and make sure no soft goals are conceded. 

How do you get out? Clearing the ball into areas of the pitch that gives the defensive unit a bit of respite and try to break with 2 or 3 in order to give you some sort of chance of regrouping and re-organising. You play for set pieces and take your 'breathers' at every opportunity. 

Plenty of teams have done this and haven't walked away with a 5 goal defeat. To do this, you must be disciplined, we are not, as you stated. You need to be determined and have a leader who represents these values and organises the defensive unit, we don't have that anymore. You need to have players who understand their roles, we don't have that.

The reason we went on to lose 6-1 instead of 3/4-1 or even 2-1 is because we lack organisation, lack determination and lack fight at times. Add to that ill-discipline and it's a clear recipe for disaster! Make no qualms about this, we're in a dogfight! If it is confirmed that only one drops out of League Two, I'm hopeful/quite confident there will be one worse. If two drop out, i'm not at all convinced we'll be safe.

1 hour ago, unsworthlatic said:

If it is confirmed that only one drops out of League Two, I'm hopeful/quite confident there will be one worse. If two drop out, i'm not at all convinced we'll be safe.

It was confirmed a few weeks ago that only one will drop out, I'm still not convinced it won't be us though.

3 minutes ago, Barry Bosnian said:

It was confirmed a few weeks ago that only one will drop out, I'm still not convinced it won't be us though.

Me neither, I 'd snap their hand off if we were offered second bottom, it's the very best we can hope for.

We are an absolute joke.

1 hour ago, unsworthlatic said:

I've had similar conversations over the weekend in relation to this point. In 18 years (7 years old when I started) of playing and coaching football, why is anything "inevitable"? 

Numerical disadvantage can be tough and challenging but we're talking professional football here. 

So, let's have a look what you do when down to 9 men being 2-0 down before they are sent off. You start with being solid but having an outlet at the same time. Not easy but can be done. You go to a formation that could see you break if/when you retrieve the ball. Personally, I would go 431. From there, you soak up pressure. Accept that you will be without the ball 75% of the time and make sure you don't get hammered. How do you do this? Well, you defend as a unit. Defend your box. Let them have the ball in areas that won't hurt you (25 yards away from goal) and let them feed it out wide. Make sure everything or at least 95% of the time the play is played in front of you and keep 7 players, 8 including the keeper behind the ball defending the penalty area. From there, any balls that come into the box you challenge for or at least make it hard for them to have a clear effort on goal, whether that be from a header or via a shot and make sure no soft goals are conceded. 

How do you get out? Clearing the ball into areas of the pitch that gives the defensive unit a bit of respite and try to break with 2 or 3 in order to give you some sort of chance of regrouping and re-organising. You play for set pieces and take your 'breathers' at every opportunity. 

Plenty of teams have done this and haven't walked away with a 5 goal defeat. To do this, you must be disciplined, we are not, as you stated. You need to be determined and have a leader who represents these values and organises the defensive unit, we don't have that anymore. You need to have players who understand their roles, we don't have that.

The reason we went on to lose 6-1 instead of 3/4-1 or even 2-1 is because we lack organisation, lack determination and lack fight at times. Add to that ill-discipline and it's a clear recipe for disaster! Make no qualms about this, we're in a dogfight! If it is confirmed that only one drops out of League Two, I'm hopeful/quite confident there will be one worse. If two drop out, i'm not at all convinced we'll be safe.

*walks out halfway through reading

24 minutes ago, Barry Bosnian said:

Where was it confirmed? I believe it was the "general direction of travel" but wasn't confirmed.

Quest have 2 to go down 

Sky Sports have 1 but have placed 23rd in a different colour (pending maybe)

BBC have 1 to go down

If it's 1 I think we will be okay. 2 i'm not at all convinced!

2 hours ago, unsworthlatic said:

Where was it confirmed? I believe it was the "general direction of travel" but wasn't confirmed.

Quest have 2 to go down 

Sky Sports have 1 but have placed 23rd in a different colour (pending maybe)

BBC have 1 to go down

If it's 1 I think we will be okay. 2 i'm not at all convinced!

The BBC states that "It means only one team will go down from League Two this campaign, rather than two, while three clubs will go down from League One." here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49841324

However, the quote from Debbie Jevans in the same article just states "Following the discussion today, clubs have established that the preferred direction of travel is to reduce relegation from League Two as a means of returning to 72 clubs."

So not confirmation as such but it seems pretty conclusive. Not sure what the hell the EFL are doing though as I can't find an official confirmation anywhere, just this nonsense about 'Direction of travel'!

Archived