Walsall tuesday

6 hours ago, Fyldelatic said:

According to Google:

'Reuben Noble-Lazarus is the youngest player to play in the Football League, making his debut for Barnsley aged 15 years and 45 days in September 2008.'

Did he rise again?

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, oafc21 said:

Spot on, let’s keep the same team for Saturday, good to see the young lads come on and show pure passion, the 15year old showed some good touches and was very pacy up front while putting himself about a bit which was a joy to watch 👍

This is a change in viewpoint from half time... :lol:

16 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Well, I'll take that

First half was poor, but given the strikers we've got and how they play, I think we should stick with 442 and let it bed in. 

Walsall were bad, but having two quick strikers to deal with meant their defence couldn't push up, and we got more turnover of possession in midfield. 

Who told Iacovitti last night that he was really Roberto Carlos?

We need an outlet on the right wing though. Morais was basically static from the 70th minute on - every time the ball came to him it was straight back to Hamer (who had a good match). 

The defence need to get on McCann's wavelength too - a couple of times we nearly ended up in trouble as he passed it back to them. It'll come with match time. 

A few more through balls to the front two instead of glory shots from 25m, and I think we'll start seeing points again. 

The major difference after the sending off  was the growing confidence of the two strikers and lavovitti in particular.

I thought Hamer was outstanding and is now  closing down opponents much better - as I hoped he would.

If Dino can keep up the confidence factor we can certainly move up the table.

Still need a centre forward though. Mark Beck at Harrogate is one who could do a good job.

Not the greatest game of football in front of a low crowd but we won the game and that is the most important thing.

Very poor first half. One header from Wheater and a well struck shot from McCann just before the break that needed a good save to keep the scores level at half time.

The second half started in very much the same way until the sending off. Wilson would have been through one on one with the keeper so rightfully adjudged to be a red card. Latics then grew in confidence and had a good twenty five minutes creating a number of chances with the two up top finally delivering. The final ten minutes was a return to type with the team dropping deep and giving the ball away too easily. Good to see the academy lads get onto the pitch and good to hear the final whistle. 

At the end of the day it is the result that we needed. Dino changed things around (even moving the bench) and got a win at home after two turgid displays prior to last night, It must be said though that Walsall looked the worst team to have visited BP this season. Overall I thought that the defence looked tight and McCann brought a certain calmness to the midfield. The performance generally lacked quality - too many misplaced passes and too many poor shots and crosses - but the team worked hard for the victory.

Will the manager persist with two strikers away from home? Possibly not. But something to build on. 

36 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Will the manager persist with two strikers away from home? Possibly not. But something to build on. 

Think he'd be stupid not to.  Both needing confidence, both just scored and while neither are likely to outmuscle your average League Two centre back, they'll cause a lot of problems on the break with their pace.

Same XI please, no need to change a winning side and (on paper at least) it looks pretty balanced.

37 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Not the greatest game of football in front of a low crowd but we won the game and that is the most important thing.

Very poor first half. One header from Wheater and a well struck shot from McCann just before the break that needed a good save to keep the scores level at half time.

The second half started in very much the same way until the sending off. Wilson would have been through one on one with the keeper so rightfully adjudged to be a red card. Latics then grew in confidence and had a good twenty five minutes creating a number of chances with the two up top finally delivering. The final ten minutes was a return to type with the team dropping deep and giving the ball away too easily. Good to see the academy lads get onto the pitch and good to hear the final whistle. 

At the end of the day it is the result that we needed. Dino changed things around (even moving the bench) and got a win at home after two turgid displays prior to last night, It must be said though that Walsall looked the worst team to have visited BP this season. Overall I thought that the defence looked tight and McCann brought a certain calmness to the midfield. The performance generally lacked quality - too many misplaced passes and too many poor shots and crosses - but the team worked hard for the victory.

Seems a nice balanced report that. 

Well it looked better right from the start. 4 4 2 isn't rocket science and isn't even popular these days but the players looked like they knew what they were doing and we had ten players who looked interested.

League 2 football isn't good and Walsall struggled to make anything of the chances they made.  The differences from Saturday was that with two up top we at least kept their defence busy and on the odd occasion the ball stuck up front.  McCann was for me the stand out man of the match in the way he quietly took control as a defensive midfield player with his positional sense - the difference from Sylla (or Missile) charging around and making bad tackles the highlight.  Of course Missile was still there charging around making tackles whilst on his backside but I suppose you can have that energy higher up the pitch if you have a McCann.

For those of you who like "one good game in ten (twenty!)" Maouche his absence was another highlight of the game.  Keep it simple Dino and go with the same team Saturday.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Great summation. Some people saying it was only against ten men. We only got a free kick for the handball but Wilson could well have put us one up. 

The only thing I'd disagree with was Walsall being the worst team to visit BP. Morecambe were definitely worse and others not far off. 

Archived