What was it like when we were good?

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Bottom!!!  obviously biased.. but ours was the best, look at who we beat! It was 3 straight wins in a week, the fact the other two teams only needed a point. Wasnt it said palace threw a party with 3 games to go to celebrate staying up?

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

Bottom!!!  obviously biased.. but ours was the best, look at who we beat! It was 3 straight wins in a week, the fact the other two teams only needed a point. Wasnt it said palace threw a party with 3 games to go to celebrate staying up?

They did. At the time I played Sunday League for Lokomotiv Lewisham. Our team was more or less half Latics, half Palace. It was a lot of fun! 

Ours was definitely the best. The Utd. fans who thanked us for handing them the Championship by beating Villa should vote for us. I will never forget Still last with 6%.

18 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Ours was definitely the best. The Utd. fans who thanked us for handing them the Championship by beating Villa should vote for us. I will never forget Still last with 6%.

Can't think of his name but I know the chap directly under the play arrow

The Southampton game that secured our survival that season was unbelievable. 4-1 and cruising, a goal scored direct from a corner and the Le Tissier finished off his hat-trick. After that he put in a perfect cross for Iain Dowie who headed over when it looked easier to score. We refused to defend properly and the final whistle was probably the best I've ever felt watching Latics. Fantastic stuff - a privilege to be at BP that day.  We were always going to finish last in the BBC poll - too long ago, and too Latics !

38 minutes ago, Billy_of_Lees said:

The Southampton game that secured our survival that season was unbelievable. 4-1 and cruising, a goal scored direct from a corner and the Le Tissier finished off his hat-trick. After that he put in a perfect cross for Iain Dowie who headed over when it looked easier to score. We refused to defend properly and the final whistle was probably the best I've ever felt watching Latics. Fantastic stuff - a privilege to be at BP that day.  We were always going to finish last in the BBC poll - too long ago, and too Latics !

Is this Billy the bus. 

On 5/2/2020 at 3:59 PM, BP1960 said:

An insight into those days from Rick Holden (when he doesn't disappear off screen) and Andy Ritchie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs3rU1JTZ3w&feature=emb_err_watch_on_yt

Good watch, it was like Rick was in a different time zone, thought he'd nodded off a couple of times.

I've just watched the " A Trip Down Sheepfoot Lane" and enjoyed it apart from Roy constantly interrupting Stitch after asking him a question.

Just compare it to the one Barnsley did with him and Rick Holden where the chap mostly listened to anything the ex-players had to say without going off topic or trying to plug a book !!

p.s. The ref at Southampton was Roger Milford I think, who was a bit of a "show pony".

Archived