Talent Spotting

Occurred to me that a lot of us go to other games and might be interesting to post players who catch the eye that might suit Latics? Sure BP_1960 will appreciate it!

I'll start. Was at Bromley v Stockport last night and Elliot Osborne impressed. Tricky, skillful player playing just off the main striker.

Great idea but it's difficult to trust people because people see different things in the same game. I once played against a striker who was average at best for the amateur league I was in. Turns out he was contracted to Barnsley and just doing a mate a favour by turning out. Never caught his name. Rhys Murphy was a classic example, scores everywhere in non league, makes the step up and struggles. Goes back to non league and firing again

11 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Great idea but it's difficult to trust people because people see different things in the same game. I once played against a striker who was average at best for the amateur league I was in. Turns out he was contracted to Barnsley and just doing a mate a favour by turning out. Never caught his name. Rhys Murphy was a classic example, scores everywhere in non league, makes the step up and struggles. Goes back to non league and firing again

Agreed. 

But that applies to professional scouts as well. At our level, every player is a gamble. 

25 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Occurred to me that a lot of us go to other games and might be interesting to post players who catch the eye that might suit Latics? Sure BP_1960 will appreciate it!

I'll start. Was at Bromley v Stockport last night and Elliot Osborne impressed. Tricky, skillful player playing just off the main striker.

There are some examples in this thread... 

37 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Fair point, and I  doubt the club would take it up from on here, it would need to be a trusted osurce. But great for a I told you in a few years when he goes for £20m!

Hope we can follow up quickly on the giant Nantwich keeper Ollie Hawkins, a Premiership scout I know is on to him though after that performance.

On the subject of midfielders our own Reece Gaskell caught my eye last night, very industrious and a good passer of the ball, he is one to watch out for in future.

45 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Hope we can follow up quickly on the giant Nantwich keeper Ollie Hawkins, a Premiership scout I know is on to him though after that performance.

On the subject of midfielders our own Reece Gaskell caught my eye last night, very industrious and a good passer of the ball, he is one to watch out for in future.

Would you not want to see a player more than once before making a recommendation on them, especially a young one? Seems a bit kneejerk.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Would you not want to see a player more than once before making a recommendation on them, especially a young one? Seems a bit kneejerk.

Definately not, if you had been there you would have seen why. 

6ft 6ins, came off his line when needed, took all the crosses comfortably and made some brilliant reflex saves.

Its like saying you need to take more looks of Messi as a youth.

Sometimes you have to act quickly as I have done.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Definately not, if you had been there you would have seen why. 

6ft 6ins, came off his line when needed, took all the crosses comfortably and made some brilliant reflex saves.

Its like saying you need to take more looks of Messi as a youth.

Sometimes you have to act quickly as I have done.

Agree he had a great game last night.... but how have you acted quickly ? The World and his wife could see the lad's potential.

31 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Agree he had a great game last night.... but how have you acted quickly ? The World and his wife could see the lad's potential.

I acted at half time. Also the world and his wife were at the match just a few hundred, most of whom have no interest in scouting.

The keeper reminded me of a young lad at Curzon Ashton many years ago who gave similar displays.

I recommended him to my club, but Manchester City stepped in. Eric Nixon didn't turn out too bad.

Anyone remember his display at BP for Tranmere?..this was even better.

The keeper reminded me of a young lad at Curzon Ashton many years ago who gave similar displays.

I recommended him to my club, but Manchester City stepped in. Eric Nixon didn't turn out too bad.

Anyone remember his display at BP for Tranmere?..this was even better.

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I acted at half time. Also the world and his wife were at the match just a few hundred, most of whom have no interest in scouting.

Sorry if I''m being a bit thick but who did you recommend him to at half time ?

As I said previously anyone who was there could see he had a good game.

Just now, Bobledgersheart said:

Sorry if I''m being a bit thick but who did you recommend him to at half time ?

As I said previously anyone who was there could see he had a good game.

My source, who acts quickly.

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Again, which bloody team ?

Us, or are you mercenary ?

And surely you are the source if you're recommending a player.

To us, but I never reveal my sources to anyone.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

I also mentioned the tall 16yo Nantwich centre forward at half time, although he tired badly I thought he'd something to work on. I was informed he could be playing for their first team soon.

Thought he tried hard without support but didn't stand out to my eyes.

Agree we look to have a few good prospects but thought the finishing was poor ( snatched at a few ) which they've obviously picked up from the first team.

Archived