FA Cup 2nd round draw.....

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn’t go to Gateshead so can only comment on how we played based on what I have read and seen in the media.

Most accounts suggest that we were outplayed by a non league team and the statistics (for what they are worth) seem to back that up. If it wasn’t for Zeus making one or two divine (😮) saves, we would have lost the game.

The bottom line is that we are through to the next round and I will be watching closely this evening to see when ball 27 is drawn from the pot. Hopefully we are paired with another non league side, ideally at home, but if away then at a proper ground not an athletics stadium with our fans located in a neighbouring post code...

Even though we are unbeaten in four, I am yet to be convinced that our overall play has improved under the new manager. And given that,  I wouldn’t be confident that we could beat any team from league 1 or even from the top end of league 2.

Altrincham away on a Monday night please. 😀

12 hours ago, hollandspies said:

We have, as a minimum, a 30.77% chance of playing a non league side in the 2nd round.

However, overall, our chances of progress to the 3rd round draw are, in all honesty much lower than that, aren’t they? 

based on where we currently sit in the football pyramid.....then Yes we are more likely to go out.

However.....this is the FA Cup and for some reason I quite fancy us to make the 3rd Round again this year 😀

50 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Reckon (at a guess) we've pulled Mansfield as many times as we've drawn Doncaster since we've been competing in the FA Cup 1st Round.

Doncaster 6 times since 1946, 5 of those since 2007.

14 Dec 1946 Oldham Athletic v Doncaster Rovers L 1-2 FA Cup
10 Nov 2007 Oldham Athletic v Doncaster Rovers D 2-2 FA Cup
27 Nov 2007 Doncaster Rovers v Oldham Athletic W 1-2 FA Cup
01 Dec 2012 Oldham Athletic v Doncaster Rovers W 3-1 FA Cup
06 Dec 2014 Oldham Athletic v Doncaster Rovers L 0-1 FA Cup
05 Nov 2016 Oldham Athletic v Doncaster Rovers W 2-1 FA Cup
26 Jan 2019 Doncaster Rovers v Oldham Athletic L 2-1 FA Cup

Mansfield 6 times since 1947, 3 of those since 1997.

13 Dec 1947 Oldham Athletic v Mansfield Town L 0-1 FA Cup
20 Nov 1963 Oldham Athletic v Mansfield Town W 3-2 FA Cup
13 Nov 1965 Mansfield Town v Oldham Athletic W 1-3 FA Cup
15 Nov 1997 Oldham Athletic v Mansfield Town D 1-1 FA Cup
25 Nov 1997 Mansfield Town v Oldham Athletic W 0-1 FA Cup
07 Dec 2013 Oldham Athletic v Mansfield Town D 1-1 FA Cup
17 Dec 2013 Mansfield Town v Oldham Athletic W 1-4 FA Cup
07 Nov 2015 Mansfield Town v Oldham Athletic D 0-0 FA Cup
17 Nov 2015 Oldham Athletic v Mansfield Town W 2-0 FA Cup

49 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

this is the FA Cup and for some reason I quite fancy us to make the 3rd Round again this year 😀

How would the Hard Abdallexit lads feel about that?

Cash from a lucrative cup draw would be reassuring in the short term but would probably reduce any chance of him going too..... 

2 hours ago, singe said:

Maidstone away again please! Missed it last time! (PS they sold my mates pub)

Chichester away.

Gillingham or Crawley at a stretch.

Sorry.

I don't want us to go out to a jammy Maldon & Tiptree side....

Gillingham for goodness sake !!

33 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

How would the Hard Abdallexit lads feel about that?

Cash from a lucrative cup draw would be reassuring in the short term but would probably reduce any chance of him going too..... 

If losing helps to get him out I’m all for it....can’t raise any enthusiasm whatsoever  while the 🤡🤡are in charge!

**********ABDALLAH OUT**********

£54k for the winners in this round, added to the £36k we have already won would be £90k. I think it's 55% of that we could spend on wages, which is just short of £50k. That would enable us to bring in a player on £2k pw for the rest of the season. Maybe less if there is tax to pay.

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

If losing helps to get him out I’m all for it....can’t raise any enthusiasm whatsoever  while the 🤡🤡are in charge!

**********ABDALLAH OUT**********

If you think getting embarrassingly dumped out of the FA Cup will speed up ALs departure your deluded...

I want him out as much as anyone but I think unfortunately it seems like he will be around for some time yet... and I'd quite like to be left with at least a solvent football club to support when he does eventually piss off so any additional funds to help us stay afloat are OK with me. 

I'd be quite happy with a winable 2nd round tie followed by a good day out like Fulham last season. 

In amongst all the shit it's still my team and I still enjoy the occasional snippet of success... 

Archived