FA Youth Cup..Curzon Ashton away Tuesday

Hope we get plenty of support on Tuesday night at Curzon Ashton (7:45 ko) for the talented Latics youth team. A win will mean a superb home tie against Burnley.

From I've seen the game will be far more enjoyable to watch than the first team, so let's get down there in big numbers to roar the lads on.

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2019/november/08112019-curzon-fayc-second-round/

18 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Probably playing at at Fleetwood tomorrow?

Are our youth team a year younger than the Curzon lads? Clutching at straws here!

Can be the case at youth level. But to take probably your most effective player out of a cup tie with Burnley next up when he's likely to be only on the bench at Fleetwood seems strange to me.

But then again there's a lot of strange goings on at this club.

Attended tonight hoping to see the much vaunted Latics youth.  Had concerns about Curzon after they had beaten Blackpool in round 1 but thought with 3/4 lads having recent first team experience we ought to be able to make round 3. Latics started well and McKinney scored a cracking goal but Curzon rallied and equalised from the spot before going in front. Latics centre half equalised with a towering header from a corner but Curzon's lively forward won the tie in the second half and deservedly so.

In truth, this youth team does not strike me as being laden with first team potential and in truth is much worse a side than Abdallah et al inherited.

I am now looking desperately for anything at all that Abdallah has improved in his 2 years reign at the club, I am not proud to say I cannot think of a single thing anywhere at all in the club.

In terms of the current crop of youth, I have no problems Dino fielding some from time to time to top up his first team squad but in all fairness, that speaks volume for the complete lack of quality in the rest of his squad rather than our youngsters being ready for the first team. The kids would never let you down but I am now no longer under any illusions that the youngsters may be the salvation we are all looking for from Abdallah's tenure.       

6 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Attended tonight hoping to see the much vaunted Latics youth.  Had concerns about Curzon after they had beaten Blackpool in round 1 but thought with 3/4 lads having recent first team experience we ought to be able to make round 3. Latics started well and McKinney scored a cracking goal but Curzon rallied and equalised from the spot before going in front. Latics centre half equalised with a towering header from a corner but Curzon's lively forward won the tie in the second half and deservedly so.

In truth, this youth team does not strike me as being laden with first team potential and in truth is much worse a side than Abdallah et al inherited.

I am now looking desperately for anything at all that Abdallah has improved in his 2 years reign at the club, I am not proud to say I cannot think of a single thing anywhere at all in the club.

In terms of the current crop of youth, I have no problems Dino fielding some from time to time to top up his first team squad but in all fairness, that speaks volume for the complete lack of quality in the rest of his squad rather than our youngsters being ready for the first team. The kids would never let you down but I am now no longer under any illusions that the youngsters may be the salvation we are all looking for from Abdallah's tenure.       

Although all played well in the last game Emmerson and McKinney were the only ones who absolutely stood out for me. Emmerson didn't play in this match and McKinney scored a fine goal.

Disappointing, but if those two come through and it may well pay off.

23 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Although all played well in the last game Emmerson and McKinney were the only ones who absolutely stood out for me. Emmerson didn't play in this match and McKinney scored a fine goal.

Disappointing, but if those two come through and it may well pay off.

Thought there were more players in Blue tonight that I would have been interested in than our lot BP - definitely second best on the night. Last time I watched the Youth team they were first year playing against a very good Bury team of second years - we lost 0-3 and in truth were outplayed but I wouldn't hesitate to say that the oafc squad I saw then was a long way better than this one. Definitely another area where the club has gone backwards.         

3 minutes ago, Fervid said:

Shows how much this club has gone to the dogs when fans are creaming themselves over a defeat for the youth side. 

What are you on about fervid? 

Always take an interest in our Youth team as it is a potential source for first team players and it has been a great source over the last few years under Philliskirk, looking a bit barren at the moment. 

FWIW I really enjoyed the game as stated above, two sets of players competing in a decent game fresh from cynicism, cheating etc. and was a good spectacle for the 400 or so present. I think the word's got round that Curzon are on to something as a lot attending in home colours. 

Truthfully wouldn't mind attending at the Nash again, place to go for a pint on the terraces - homely atmosphere - they are at home Saturday v York, I might have a bit of that

By the way - I have watched OAFC youth team away for a few years - went to Port Vale and Sheff Wednesday away in 1970s before we were good

No one creaming themselves over defeat for our youth I assure you    

37 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

What are you on about fervid? 

Always take an interest in our Youth team as it is a potential source for first team players and it has been a great source over the last few years under Philliskirk, looking a bit barren at the moment. 

FWIW I really enjoyed the game as stated above, two sets of players competing in a decent game fresh from cynicism, cheating etc. and was a good spectacle for the 400 or so present. I think the word's got round that Curzon are on to something as a lot attending in home colours. 

Truthfully wouldn't mind attending at the Nash again, place to go for a pint on the terraces - homely atmosphere - they are at home Saturday v York, I might have a bit of that

By the way - I have watched OAFC youth team away for a few years - went to Port Vale and Sheff Wednesday away in 1970s before we were good

No one creaming themselves over defeat for our youth I assure you    

It's very rare for more than a handful of youths at any level to make the required grade. Even from FA youth cup winning teams. The class of 92 was an exception. A couple a year is usually the norm.

It will be interesting to see how many from Curzon will progress to the EFL, or if Latics sign any of them.

27 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

It's very rare for more than a handful of youths at any level to make the required grade. Even from FA youth cup winning teams. The class of 92 was an exception. A couple a year is usually the norm.

It will be interesting to see how many from Curzon will progress to the EFL, or if Latics sign any of them.

It is BP but as Dino has started blooding our youngsters in the first team, presumably he would have to have some confidence that some were nearly ready.

On evidence last night, I would suggest not although I do live in hope. I would take 2 from the team to develop into first teamers (like what we used to expect and generally got). Their crop looked a lot stronger physically, better organised and better prepared - all a bit disconcerting really. Will go and watch the Nash against Burnley and see how they look against a Premiership team Academy (one run by Tony Philliskirk)  

6 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

It is BP but as Dino has started blooding our youngsters in the first team, presumably he would have to have some confidence that some were nearly ready.

On evidence last night, I would suggest not although I do live in hope. I would take 2 from the team to develop into first teamers (like what we used to expect and generally got). Their crop looked a lot stronger physically, better organised and better prepared - all a bit disconcerting really. Will go and watch the Nash against Burnley and see how they look against a Premiership team Academy (one run by Tony Philliskirk)  

I think that one or two got a little carried away following the defeat of Nantwich in the last round. As has been pointed out, very few from Academy/Youth sides go on to make it at senior level.

And as for Dino having confidence in one or two...maybe -  but maybe it was him using the Youth players to make a point? 🤔

10 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I think that one or two got a little carried away following the defeat of Nantwich in the last round. As has been pointed out, very few from Academy/Youth sides go on to make it at senior level.

And as for Dino having confidence in one or two...maybe -  but maybe it was him using the Youth players to make a point? 🤔

I suspect Dino was to be fair however some "in the know" fans had been waxing lyrical about the quality at our disposal - exaggerated on last nights showing I am afraid 

Archived