NEWPORT AWAY

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Joe,  if you don’t like counter opinion don’t come on a message board. You wanted to debate Wellens, so I am doing. I’m not ‘twisting’ anything. I’m merely pointing you’re factually incorrect. Wellens didn’t have us flying before AL came in. Wellens was working for the club as an assistant for months while AL was there.  Wellens flew under AL- for four games. He wanted more players- AL gave him 8 of his own players in Jan. He was the manager when we were relegated. You can’t ignore that, because of a really good start at Swindon. He may go on to be very good. Good luck to him. However he was largely poor in his tenure with us. 

That's how I see it 👍

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I knew you’ll be along Eyresy. 😂

Joe said ‘Wellens had us flying before the lemsagams arrived’  That’s not true. As everyone knows AL was pulling the purse strings well before Wellens was appointed- Or were menig omrani etc all Corney signings. .🙄

At the very least Wellens knew he taking a job with lots going on. He made a positive start, then blamed everyone else. He was backed with 8 of his own players in Jan, and we still went down. Good luck to him Swindon, maybe he learnt some lessons for his time here, and they’re reaping the benefits. However it doesn’t change the fact that he managed a club that went down. Plenty of other managers do ok at ‘crisis’ clubs, when their back is against the wall. Ryan Lowe dealt with far worse than wellens, and he still got results. Blaming the owner and whoever else for your own shortcomings lacks personal responsibility IMO. 

Lowe had a L1 team in L2, was harder to cock that up than succeed.

The signings didn't really come off (and Byrne was actually an AL signing) but nobody was questioning them at the time.

He certainly wasn't blameless but I can't imagine many tougher situations to walk into as a rookie.

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Joe,  if you don’t like counter opinion don’t come on a message board. You wanted to debate Wellens, so I am doing. I’m not ‘twisting’ anything. I’m merely pointing you’re factually incorrect. Wellens didn’t have us flying before AL came in. Wellens was working for the club as an assistant for months while AL was there.  Wellens flew under AL- for four games. He wanted more players- AL gave him 8 of his own players in Jan. He was the manager when we were relegated. You can’t ignore that, because of a really good start at Swindon. He may go on to be very good. Good luck to him. However he was largely poor in his tenure with us. 

Fine with counter-opinion, cheers.

However sometimes that counter-opinion won’t change my mind.

It’s a fact Wellens was manager when we were relegated. It’s also a fact that no manager has been able to succeed under these owners. It’s also a fact that Wellens is currently doing the business at Swindon and, ok maybe not flying, but oversaw some great stuff here, like the wins against Portsmouth, Northampton, Dale and Blackburn, the tone of which he seems to have carried on at Swindon.

Anyway, I’ll leave it there, I think..

31 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I knew you’ll be along Eyresy. 😂

Joe said ‘Wellens had us flying before the lemsagams arrived’  That’s not true. As everyone knows AL was pulling the purse strings well before Wellens was appointed- Or were menig omrani etc all Corney signings. .🙄

At the very least Wellens knew he taking a job with lots going on. He made a positive start, then blamed everyone else. He was backed with 8 of his own players in Jan, and we still went down. Good luck to him Swindon, maybe he learnt some lessons for his time here, and they’re reaping the benefits. However it doesn’t change the fact that he managed a club that went down. Plenty of other managers do ok at ‘crisis’ clubs, when their back is against the wall. Ryan Lowe dealt with far worse than wellens, and he still got results. Blaming the owner and whoever else for your own shortcomings lacks personal responsibility IMO. 

Ryan Lowe was manager when Bury were relegated.  But they stuck with him.

We all know AL was funding the club prior to the official takeover, but was he in the dressing room or banishing players to the youths then too?

Archived