30 years ago today....

Was a brilliant night this. Ended up sleeping in my Vauxhall Nova in the Clayton playing fields car park after more than a couple of pints, and driving back to London at 5am the next morning, and going straight into work.... Didn't mention it to the numerous Arsenal fans obviously..... 🤣 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to believe it was 30 years ago. I can remember like it was yesterday going to Upton Park for the semi-final 2nd leg (I was living and working in London at the time). We were 3-0 down after about 25 minutes or so and I started to get very worried! Not least because I had some very big West Ham fans around me and I had to make sure I kept my trap shut.

Wow what a night ! I couldnt concente on nothing else that day at school but the Arsenal game ! Tears of joy from me and my dad , The team from the Town of chimneys played the DIV 1 league champions of the park ..💙💙The atmosphere in Boundary park was electric.. Thank you Big Joe for the memories which are etched on the minds of every oldham fan who had the pleasure of being a apart of the pinch me season.. "My only Oldham, you make me happy when skies are grey".   

58 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Hard to believe it was 30 years ago. I can remember like it was yesterday going to Upton Park for the semi-final 2nd leg (I was living and working in London at the time). We were 3-0 down after about 25 minutes or so and I started to get very worried! Not least because I had some very big West Ham fans around me and I had to make sure I kept my trap shut.

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

We were fucking good weren't we. The atmosphere in the Chaddy for night matches was electric. Nostalgia is nearly all we have left. 

We was.... even the Div 1 champions couldnt touch us... My Oldham you Make me happy when skies are grey" i would do anything to experience them again

Brilliant night. 2 mates of mine came up from Reading (Arsenal fans) and I treated them to rag pudding, chips, peas and gravy at Chadderton Fish Bar (used to be near Asda). They'd never had a rag pudding and were instant converts. They were very gracious in defeat and said we had a bloody good side there. In fact, they were so impressed they came to the final at Wembley decked in blue and with their faces painted blue and white. I stayed at one of theirs in Reading for the weekend of the final and took in Reading v Bury on the Saturday. Got a few funny looks off the Bury fans in my "Latics Wembley Shirt" but was all taken in good spirits. The gooners reciprocated the "cultural meal" theme and took me for jellied eels in a "pie and mash" shop in London. I was not converted - jellied eels ! uugghhh.

Can't take those memories away.

Nick Henry scoring was a huge surprise , at this point it was very rare.

I remember thinking that picking Rhodes in net was the right decision , I thought he would thrive in a big televised game.

Just as picking Hallworth for the much harder victory in the first game of the competition at Elland Road was the right call.

We had lost 2-0 to Everton in the League cup the previous year.

For 85 minutes we battered them , and then they smash and grabbed the win.

I thought that night this team could go places , the Arsenal win proved it.

Irwin's cross was superb........most United fans had no idea he played on the wrong side for a decade for them ......he was that good.

33 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Incredible night.  Chaddy was rammed and remained rammed for the rest of the season. 

the games came thick and fast. Felt sorry years after for my mum who hardly saw my dad plus it cost him a small fortune financing all games that season 👍he kept saying not another replay please... but what a rollercoaster journey we had.. fantastic 

15 minutes ago, stargazer said:

I remember thinking that picking Rhodes in net was the right decision , I thought he would thrive in a big televised game.

Just as picking Hallworth for the much harder victory in the first game of the competition at Elland Road was the right call.

Irwin's cross was superb........most United fans had no idea he played on the wrong side for a decade for them ......he was that good.

but fldo you remember Andy Rhodes save at the Chaddy End? Worldie top corner i think it was against Rocastle ?? could be wrong.. 

18 minutes ago, stargazer said:

The Everton game we gave Cottee the dogs abuse all game, just knew it would come back to haunt us. 

4 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Was a brilliant night this. Ended up sleeping in my Vauxhall Nova in the Clayton playing fields car park after more than a couple of pints, and driving back to London at 5am the next morning, and going straight into work.... Didn't mention it to the numerous Arsenal fans obviously..... 🤣 

I went to the pub after (Dog Inn), I was 14.

My dad (who'd been in the Paddock while I was in the Chaddy) walked in and a nervous hush fell around our table......

"Great that wasn't it....Do you want another?" :lol:

3 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

For those of us of a similar disposition, I didn’t realise this happened on the same day we beat Arsenal....

https://twitter.com/bbcarchive/status/1197819510021087233?s=21

I'm not surprised. But that's only because I looked up the chart for that week recently and the Stone Roses were the highest new entry (#13) . 

Archived