30 years ago today....

20 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Don't know if George Graham did but when we beat Aston Villa Graham Taylor dismissed it as an excuse and said it was down to the way we played.

I still have the audio cassette recording of the BBC radio commentary in which Graham Taylor was full of praise for Latics. I played it in the Isle of Man in the car on the way to watch Latics training at Peel. I mentioned it to Ricky Holden who was also watching them and he said it would not be possible these days to put together a team like that.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

I still have the audio cassette recording of the BBC radio commentary in which Graham Taylor was full of praise for Latics. I played it in the Isle of Man in the car on the way to watch Latics training at Peel. I mentioned it to Ricky Holden who was also watching them and he said it would not be possible these days to put together a team like that.

He was probably right Diego. I cant remember the origins of all that team but I don't think we paid a lot for it. Some cast offs from 'bigger teams' Barrett  (free?) from City, Marshall  (paid for?) Everton , Irwin on a free from Leeds?, a few homegrown. Too many would be happy to sit as fifth choice for a premier league team with no prospect of playing on wages most of us could only dream off than drop down the leagues to play. Even in the championship I doubt many sides could afford the greedy leagues lesser players.

1 hour ago, Longlostfan said:

He was probably right Diego. I cant remember the origins of all that team but I don't think we paid a lot for it. Some cast offs from 'bigger teams' Barrett  (free?) from City, Marshall  (paid for?) Everton , Irwin on a free from Leeds?, a few homegrown. Too many would be happy to sit as fifth choice for a premier league team with no prospect of playing on wages most of us could only dream off than drop down the leagues to play. Even in the championship I doubt many sides could afford the greedy leagues lesser players.

Not only that, both Bosman and the transfer windows would prevent it.

2 hours ago, Longlostfan said:

Barrett was 45,000. Irwin free. Warhurst 10,000. Can't remember how much Marshy was. 

5 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

The complete record book has him signing 11 March 1988 on loan. Perm deal 24 March 1988 fee £100,000.

When Latics played at Goodison Park in the 1990 FA Cup, a steward said to me before the game "that Marshall is a donkey".  Marshall scored the equaliser to earn a replay at BP and Latics fans were kept in after the match.  I took great delight in gathering people round behind the goal where that steward was standing and pointing out what he had said. :bluearmy:  🤣

As has already been mentioned, this was the game that put us on the map around the country. But I think it's fair to say many of us were quietly confident. We had a great record at home up until then. In fact I think we were unbeaten for almost a year as we finished 88-89 strongly. I sat at the front of the main stand paddock then, on a wall at the front just behind the advertising boards. Household names in Arsenal shirts within touching distance. Think half of our school were in the same area too, the bug had took hold then as when I moved in Feb 1989, there were only a handful in our class as Tics. By the Arsenal match, it had proper snowballed with the Johnny-come-lately's!

Our great strength, particularly at home, was the early hammer blows we used to hit teams with, which this match showed perfectly. We were fantastic at stepping up a gear when we had a foot on a teams throat but the amount of early goals that we'd score then was phenomenal. Just killed a team in their tracks at a fortress of a ground. Yep, it was definitely an advantage to us as we'd assembled a team with fantastic passing ability throughout the side, particularly in defence. Preston, QPR and Luton simply couldn't harness their pitch advantage the same way.

19 hours ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

When Latics played at Goodison Park in the 1990 FA Cup, a steward said to me before the game "that Marshall is a donkey".  Marshall scored the equaliser to earn a replay at BP and Latics fans were kept in after the match.  I took great delight in gathering people round behind the goal where that steward was standing and pointing out what he had said. :bluearmy:  🤣

What a subterranean bounce that was.... 😎

16 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

As has already been mentioned, this was the game that put us on the map around the country. But I think it's fair to say many of us were quietly confident.

Eh? Bollocks :lol:

They were champions and top of the league. 

We had no chance. Not a single person thought we'd beat them. 

Which was what made it so great. 

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Don't agree. At home, from the start of the season (aside from the first couple of matches; draws) we were so strong. We'd lost just one match in 12 (just three losses in 21, and those were away) and most of those were wins. I know I felt we could give anyone in the country a game at that moment in time.

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

I went. Can't imagine or remember going to many if any Tuesday night games in the decade before that having left town in 1980. I must have believed. 

33 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Don't agree. At home, from the start of the season (aside from the first couple of matches; draws) we were so strong. We'd lost just one match in 12 (just three losses in 21, and those were away) and most of those were wins. I know I felt we could give anyone in the country a game at that moment in time.

Nobody thought that until after the Arsenal game. Probably quite a while after we realised that wasn't a fluke. 

On 11/24/2019 at 5:10 PM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

agree went to that game knowing we could get a result we were in the middle of a great run of form and scoring for fun 

Archived