I'll hold my hands up now if I've got this wrong, hence the question marks in the thread title.

Azankpo and a Newport defender both went down injured following a clash of heads. Two fans were hurling abuse: "Get up you coward" and "Get up scab". The words coward and scab were repeated several times.

Although I found it distasteful given they were head injuries (no one knew how serious it may have been), I thought it was being directed at the Newport player. But when he got to his feet, somewhat wobbly at first, the abuse continued.

Azankpo was still prostate on the ground being attended to and the Newport player was moving around quite well. The words coward and scab continued, so I can only assume they were directed at Azankpo.

As I've said at the start, I'll hold my hands up and apologise if I've got it wrong, but it left a sour taste all the same.

If I've got it right, it was disgraceful behaviour towards one of our own players and I, plus a few around me, were embarrassed.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

I'll hold my hands up now if I've got this wrong, hence the question marks in the thread title.

Azankpo and a Newport defender both went down injured following a clash of heads. Two fans were hurling abuse: "Get up you coward" and "Get up scab". The words coward and scab were repeated several times.

Although I found it distasteful given they were head injuries (no one knew how serious it may have been), I thought it was being directed at the Newport player. But when he got to his feet, somewhat wobbly at first, the abuse continued.

Azankpo was still prostate on the ground being attended to and the Newport player was moving around quite well. The words coward and scab continued, so I can only assume they were directed at Azankpo.

As I've said at the start, I'll hold my hands up and apologise if I've got it wrong, but it left a sour taste all the same.

If I've got it right, it was disgraceful behaviour towards one of our own players and I, plus a few around me, were embarrassed.

Especially seeing as Azankpo will always give 100% for the cause, even if his talent isn't seen on a consistent basis.

37 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

If that is what happened it's indefensible, disgusting behaviour.The "fans" concerned should have been thrown out of the ground.

Thought it was a bit weird. And wasn't sure who it was aimed at and why. 

Reasonable atmosphere generated by our lot, given the low numbers.  Found the anti-Welsh stuff a bit cringeworthy. Didn't hear Newport sing once - which was good from our point of view - so why try and goad them into it?

in this day and age of folk dying from head injuries ... i was amazed how little attention both players received but especially the Latics lad who was prone on his back for a good 3 minutes motionless...

also heard the comments....didnt understand it at the time and still don't

49 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

His ability to play football in a skillful manner.  In his case he's shown glimpses that he could be a decent finisher from what I've seen, not consistently enough yet though.

He's shocking.

Wilson's shite too but not as shite as Azankpo.

Bizarre that he doesn't come in for the same flak as Vera or Maouche but, he runs around a lot I suppose and they like that....

10 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

He's shocking.

Wilson's shite too but not as shite as Azankpo.

Bizarre that he doesn't come in for the same flak as Vera or Maouche but, he runs around a lot I suppose and they like that....

"Bizarre that he doesn't come in for the same flak as Vera or Maouche"...in the thread that's talking about him being called a coward and a scab for being legitimately injured.  The flak Vera and Maouche get isn't deserved imo, but it's more justifiable than that.

"Running around a lot" (so much nuance there 😄) does have it's use in successful teams...if done right.  Porter would never have been as successful as he was for us without Warne alongside him (see his scoring record alongside Beckett).  It can weaken defences by dragging them wider and make room for the other striker to find space.  The way they run around a lot is the difference between them being a headless chicken and an effective part of the team.

Azankpo and Wilson are shocking and shite in the same way that Adam Rooney was when he was played on the left wing, or that Doyle was when playing at Bradford but not at Swindon.  I'm not saying our strikers are world beaters (jury's still out imo) but they clearly haven't been played in a system that makes the most of them (see Wilson last season alongside Harry Smith).  Hopefully from January onwards the club can bring the right player or two in that can help change this.  Sadly I don't hold out much hope if our Sporting Director has his way.

Actually...all of our players are shocking, life is shit and we're all a bunch of knobheads.

'Fans abuse own team player' headliner from Bristolatic

Immediately, posters offer their opinions on the ability of the 'player down'

Kids on the ground, wearing our shirt, potential head injury.

Our beautiful game of Football is all but lost isn't it  :cry:

16 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

Checks needed like but surely a time and a place?

13 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

His ability to play football in a skillful manner.  In his case he's shown glimpses that he could be a decent finisher from what I've seen, not consistently enough yet though.

His dribbling ability was no doubt improved 

3 hours ago, tGWB said:

'Fans abuse own team player' headliner from Bristolatic

Immediately, posters offer their opinions on the ability of the 'player down'

Kids on the ground, wearing our shirt, potential head injury.

Our beautiful game of Football is all but lost isn't it  :cry:

So we're not allowed to respond to a comment from someone praising him ("he always gives 100% for the cause") because the thread is about him being abused by our own fans whilst being on the ground with a head injury - how does that work?

Are there any other similar rules we need to be aware of? 

53 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

So we're not allowed to respond to a comment from someone praising him ("he always gives 100% for the cause") because the thread is about him being abused by our own fans whilst being on the ground with a head injury - how does that work?

I dont make any rules HarryBosch 🤔

My comment was regarding the general lack of concern about two of our supporters abusing one of our own players who was down injured.

I have never booed our shirt never mind stooped to the depths of giving an injured player abuse 

Like you though, I am entitled to an opinion 

59 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Think his issue was however good or bad a player is they don't deserve abuse while potentially lying badly injured.

People who then criticise the player on this thread may be seen as excusing the sad perpetrators of such insults.

6 minutes ago, tGWB said:

I dont make any rules HarryBosch 🤔

My comment was regarding the general lack of concern about two of our supporters abusing one of our own players who was down injured.

I have never booed our shirt never mind stooped to the depths of giving an injured player abuse 

Like you though, I am entitled to an opinion 

I didn't hear/see the the abuse him but they sound like a pair of morons. 

But that had already been said and I, like others I imagine, had nothing to add.

Do you want some kind of roll call where every poster has to come on and show concern by repeating someone else's post that already seemed to about cover it?

3 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Think his issue was however good or bad a player is they don't deserve abuse while potentially lying badly injured.

People who then criticise the player on this thread may be seen as excusing the sad perpetrators of such insults.

That'd be some spectacular train of thought....

Archived