Latics stories, folklore & culture

In 1969, when I was a young boy, my grandad talked me into supporting Latics and as I was young and naïve, I believed every word he said. He regaled me of stories of the club's promotion in 1952/53 and kept a pools coupon from 1953/54 when we were in the second division and advised me "Latics were good once" - he failed to tell me stories of the horrors of 1958/59 and 1959/60 so I always had a delusional look on how good the club had been.

Anyway I digress, I am sorry that my grandad and his son (my uncle) have now passed away and I never recorded some of the stories they told me about Latics in the 1940s and 1950s. Similarly when I was around 14/15, I met Jimmy Kirton at Latics and Jimmy told me many tales of old Latics games in the 60s and 70s.....sadly now Jimmy has died and I didn't record his memories of Latics culture.

I was at the protest yesterday and spoke to a number of good people who I have know for many years through Latics who no longer feel that they want to attend. If the current situation carries on and they are lost to the club forever, their stories may never be heard.

Latics has been around since 1895 in one form or another and is too important not to have its tales told. To me - the club represents the community it serves and its fans....as AL once said "Without the fan(s), the club is nothing"

I have known many great fans who have passed away over the years and know many stories that they have told me and from my own memories spanning half a century. I want to record people's memories of this wonderful club for posterity so that, when we all move on into the Clayton Arms in the Sky, our stories leave a legacy for those who still care about the club.

We are all too important to lose our memories, we are all getting older (many on OWTB at least) - would fans be willing to share their memories with me via any medium so I can obtain a record of what Latics meant to us all at some stage.

I fear we may be nearer the abyss than many others may think so the need to commence this work is becoming immediate - please contact me on OWTB or FB (We are Oldham Athletic.....and that's about it") if you would like to participate                   

My dad shouted “BRING BACK ANDY RITCHIE” at Graham Sharp during a pre season friendly at Cobh Ramblers in Cork many years ago. 

It’s a small thing in the grand scheme of things, but as a young lad I always loved when my dad was proud of me... that was a moment when I burst with pride in him. 

I’m sure we all have our moments that - through Latics - we had magical times with family and friends. 

For what it’s worth I’m happy to contribute to any correlation of them. 

16 hours ago, Nohairdontcare said:

My dad shouted “BRING BACK ANDY RITCHIE” at Graham Sharp during a pre season friendly at Cobh Ramblers in Cork many years ago. 

It’s a small thing in the grand scheme of things, but as a young lad I always loved when my dad was proud of me... that was a moment when I burst with pride in him. 

I’m sure we all have our moments that - through Latics - we had magical times with family and friends. 

Here's a bit of controversy for you !

I thought Richie was very poor first time round as manager - his subs were always reactive as against proactive - and when he came back as a player looked like he was playing in flip-flops !

..........discuss.........

6 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Here's a bit of controversy for you !

I thought Richie was very poor first time round as manager - his subs were always reactive as against proactive - and when he came back as a player looked like he was playing in flip-flops !

..........discuss.........

Not enough downboats in the world for Richie. 

On 12/8/2019 at 11:32 PM, Nohairdontcare said:

Cheers Nohair - I am looking for anyone with good memories of this great club of ours... will set up a meet in the New Year if thats ok with you and take it from there?   

1 hour ago, unsworth blue said:

Cheers Nohair - I am looking for anyone with good memories of this great club of ours... will set up a meet in the New Year if thats ok with you and take it from there?   

No problem,

I only get to Oldham about once a year (I’m in Ireland) but I might get over around March if that’s any use, otherwise I can write you a piece or take a phone call, what ever suits you best. 

Sounds like a good project, a reminder of great times.  

cheers! 

1 hour ago, Nohairdontcare said:

No problem,

I only get to Oldham about once a year (I’m in Ireland) but I might get over around March if that’s any use, otherwise I can write you a piece or take a phone call, what ever suits you best. 

Sounds like a good project, a reminder of great times.  

cheers! 

whichever works better for you mate

I am really looking forward to starting it - I know a lot of stories people have told me - suspect some may be exaggerated but that's how folklore is I suppose. I have a pretty decent memory of 70s - mid 90s, fades a bit thereafter. I want the stories of people, fun, laughter, sadness, controversy.....to me and many others, Latics is about the fans and their hopes and expectations. Players and managers come and go but generally the fans stay although currently leaving in droves.....got to get the feelgood factor back and hoping these store may just delay a few departures lol

Archived