Swindon away 🙄

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

'Apparently' in good form?

He's in league 2 because he was truly shafted by the ownership when he was here and is rebuilding a fledgling managerial career and doing superbly. Was a huge mistake letting him go.

I say apparently because I have not seen Eoin play for them Danny, from newspaper reports they were a bit fortunate on Saturday at Grimsby but they ran out 3-0 winners so can't argue with that. 

FWIW I would have kept Richie Wellens on but I think there is an issue about his plan B - he couldn't manage to get a squad of decent players (albeit one with no harmony) up to winning at least 1 of last 10 fixtures and so took us down to basement division for first time since 1971.

In truth, I am sure he was hamstrung by having parameters placed on who he could choose/ who he had to play but he couldn't get the best out of those on show in the last 10 games.

Good luck to him, I would have kept him as I say. From Richie's perspective, anywhere away from Latics must be a doddle        

9 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Dicked

Probably Alan but Swindon been a fertile hunting ground for us over the seasons albeit with a much better side on every occasion.

Seem some crackers there as Swindon and Oldham generally try and play good football - not this year I expect.

Think a draw would be great, my guess of 1-1 is in hope rather than expectation - not expected anything from the boys in Blue for yonks      

1 hour ago, dannyboy55555 said:

He's in league 2 because he was truly shafted by the ownership when he was here and is rebuilding a fledgling managerial career and doing superbly. Was a huge mistake letting him go.

We didn't let Doyle go. He was on loan from Preston. We might have offered him a contract in that close-season, although I doubt we did. I don't think it would have mattered anyway as Bradford will have almost certainly offered Doyle a better deal than us and they were the division above us then. 

5 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

We didn't let Doyle go. He was on loan from Preston. We might have offered him a contract in that close-season, although I doubt we did. I don't think it would have mattered anyway as Bradford will have almost certainly offered Doyle a better deal than us and they were the division above us then. 

I think he is referring to Wellens

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

@BP1960 presently sits 5th in the OWTB Prediction League Championship table.... maybe you might like to join him next season....?

pnmXdkk.jpg?1

Say I am top of the league

Say I am top of the league.

If this isn't proof you should all pay attention to me I don't know what is :)

Realistically our best chance revolves around a backs to the walls performance and getting the rub of the green.

Dino is more a pragmatist type of manager who loves a gritty 1-0 rather than play really well and squandering a lead. So this type of fixture may suit him.

Wellens will try and take the game to us and alot will depend on how we can counter attack with Wilson and Smityh we do have abit of pace on the counter.

Im still expecting a defeat though.

57 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

I say apparently because I have not seen Eoin play for them Danny, from newspaper reports they were a bit fortunate on Saturday at Grimsby but they ran out 3-0 winners so can't argue with that. 

FWIW I would have kept Richie Wellens on but I think there is an issue about his plan B - he couldn't manage to get a squad of decent players (albeit one with no harmony) up to winning at least 1 of last 10 fixtures and so took us down to basement division for first time since 1971.

In truth, I am sure he was hamstrung by having parameters placed on who he could choose/ who he had to play but he couldn't get the best out of those on show in the last 10 games.

Good luck to him, I would have kept him as I say. From Richie's perspective, anywhere away from Latics must be a doddle        

He literally went from putting out the cones to being manager overnight, it shouldn't really have come as a shock that he didn't have all the answers to the many questions.

I saw them earlier in the season at Exeter and they were the best team I've seen in the league this season.  They dominated the first half and should've been well clear, 2nd half was even and good quality.  Doyle scored a typical Doyle goal late on and obviously he'll be a threat on Saturday, but he's scoring loads because he's got a lot of help around him.  Yates up front has scored steadily in the last 2 seasons at this level, Woolery, Isgrove and Anderson are direct wingers who have pace and Doughty's creative in the centre of the park.  They take a few risks playing it out from the back but they've got players who can do it well.

Frustrate them and come away with a point would do me.  It's in the following 3 games that we should be going for it.

Swindon fan here. Its good to see a fan site that has  a discussion rather than abusing people.

We do have a habit of struggling at home so dont give up on a result, even though I hope we win.

As has been said at times we dont seem to have a plan B but when we are flowing we are hard to beat.

Good Luck on Saturday and for the future.

20 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I saw them earlier in the season at Exeter and they were the best team I've seen in the league this season.  They dominated the first half and should've been well clear, 2nd half was even and good quality.  Doyle scored a typical Doyle goal late on and obviously he'll be a threat on Saturday, but he's scoring loads because he's got a lot of help around him.  Yates up front has scored steadily in the last 2 seasons at this level, Woolery, Isgrove and Anderson are direct wingers who have pace and Doughty's creative in the centre of the park.  They take a few risks playing it out from the back but they've got players who can do it well.

Frustrate them and come away with a point would do me.  It's in the following 3 games that we should be going for it.

We should be going for it in every game as a bare minimum

2 hours ago, dannyboy55555 said:

He was as bad a striker as Wellens was a manager for the last month or two of that season.... 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

He literally went from putting out the cones to being manager overnight, it shouldn't really have come as a shock that he didn't have all the answers to the many questions.

Never shocked by anything in football particularly at Latics. 

The football that Richie Wellens had his team playing in his interim spell was completely miles away from the football Richie's team were playing at the end of the season.  

49 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Never shocked by anything in football particularly at Latics. 

The football that Richie Wellens had his team playing in his interim spell was completely miles away from the football Richie's team were playing at the end of the season.  

And we all know the circumstances they were working under, would have hard enough for a gnarled old veteran let alone a rookie.

4 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Didn't Sinnot say that Doyle was expecting to sign, but it didn't happen?

3 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

He was as bad a striker as Wellens was a manager for the last month or two of that season.... 

I think that was more to do with things going on behind the scenes. Wellens and the whole team were pissed off by the interference. Gerrard was also probably a bad influence in the dressing room.

Dino says all Swindon's goals have been scored from inside the box, so he's going to play a high line to try and keep them out. Most clubs will have tried that already, but Swindon have succeeded in getting around them. The longer the game goes on the more pressure they will put on, and our high line will drop deeper and deeper.   

10 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

Probably Alan but Swindon been a fertile hunting ground for us over the seasons albeit with a much better side on every occasion.

Seem some crackers there as Swindon and Oldham generally try and play good football - not this year I expect.

Think a draw would be great, my guess of 1-1 is in hope rather than expectation - not expected anything from the boys in Blue for yonks      

Not recently though as our last two visits finished 0-0 and were about as exciting as watching paint dry. Swindon's down the road for me relatively speaking, and I don't think I've missed our league game there for a long time, but I'm really struggling to work up any enthusiasm for going on Saturday.

We have done the Wellens thing but there was no way he was going to stay which is precisely what you need to succeed when there is no money.  The stability to build a team the fans can identify with.  We have less chance of winning this game than Jeremy has of becoming the next PM.

Archived