Swindon away 🙄

On 12/11/2019 at 4:37 PM, BP1960 said:

Barlow's used to have a small coach, which would probably have been viable. Stott's also had a smaller coach, but it was bigger than Barlow's. Obviously Go Goodwin's only have the big coaches. I'm not surprised really this close to Christmas and the falling support.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Hands on said:

We have done the Wellens thing but there was no way he was going to stay which is precisely what you need to succeed when there is no money.  The stability to build a team the fans can identify with.  We have less chance of winning this game than Jeremy has of becoming the next PM.

True! We are 4/1 Jezza is 3/1.......still think we are a better bet though!!

12 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Getting battered on Saturday, too many of that Swindon outfit with a point to prove, not to the poor fans who will make the trip I hasten to add but the absolute clowns running the show.

Will be there with a couple of mates. Don’t expect to come away with anything other than a worse goal difference. 🙁

This is one of my ‘local’ Away days. But a few beers in The Merlin beforehand and then the hope that springs eternal will be dashed by the Ginger Ninja methinks... or maybe just maybe.?..nah! 

Not at Swindon Town tomorrow but wishing Latics all the best and the supporters who are going a safe journey and I hope you are rewarded with the points.

The County Ground has been a relatively happy hunting ground for Latics - recall a 1-0 victory there with a last minute goal from Paul Bernard in August 1993 (sadly we went down that season with Swindon). Latics fans that night singing "You're going down with Athletic" proved prophetic sadly.

I recall a 2-1 win under David Dunn one night when Danny Philliskirk scored a late winner after Swindon had levelled. Their Chairman was in charge of their team that night as he obviously thought he could do a better job than the professionals (Mo Lemsagam anyone?). We also won 1-0 there the season before.

We had a cracking 2-2 draw with Swindon in 1989/90 when Roger the Dodger scored a headed equaliser maybe 10 minutes from the end. We also had a cracking 2-2 draw with them under Lee Johnson when Braveheart (James Dayton scored a wonder goal from about 30 yards). Last time I went was a bore draw 0-0 when George Topoff was ejected from the ground.

The first time I went we got mullered 2-0 and Andy Gorton had the best game I have ever seen from an Oldham goalkeeper, without him it could easily have been double figures.

Not expecting much tomorrow to be honest but if the Boys in Blue can get a draw or even a win, there will be no one more delighted than me.

59 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Not at Swindon Town tomorrow but wishing Latics all the best and the supporters who are going a safe journey and I hope you are rewarded with the points.

The County Ground has been a relatively happy hunting ground for Latics - recall a 1-0 victory there with a last minute goal from Paul Bernard in August 1993 (sadly we went down that season with Swindon). Latics fans that night singing "You're going down with Athletic" proved prophetic sadly.

I recall a 2-1 win under David Dunn one night when Danny Philliskirk scored a late winner after Swindon had levelled. Their Chairman was in charge of their team that night as he obviously thought he could do a better job than the professionals (Mo Lemsagam anyone?). We also won 1-0 there the season before.

We had a cracking 2-2 draw with Swindon in 1989/90 when Roger the Dodger scored a headed equaliser maybe 10 minutes from the end. We also had a cracking 2-2 draw with them under Lee Johnson when Braveheart (James Dayton scored a wonder goal from about 30 yards). Last time I went was a bore draw 0-0 when George Topoff was ejected from the ground.

The first time I went we got mullered 2-0 and Andy Gorton had the best game I have ever seen from an Oldham goalkeeper, without him it could easily have been double figures.

Not expecting much tomorrow to be honest but if the Boys in Blue can get a draw or even a win, there will be no one more delighted than me.

Now there is words you don't hear said together too often "a win under David Dunn" 

Wellens is no god, where would he be in the league without doyle!? People have short memories, shez signed doyle and Byrne and Bryan . The up lift in form was shez team and take away doyle from the Swindon team, u have a very different lay on land. Wellens is a Chancer,  who couldn't get one win from ten. Hes playing attractive attacking football, yep. But were 5 points clear of relegation with a team of absolute shite, anyone with a bit of cash could walk this league.

23 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Wellens is no god, where would he be in the league without doyle!? People have short memories, shez signed doyle and Byrne and Bryan . The up lift in form was shez team and take away doyle from the Swindon team, u have a very different lay on land. Wellens is a Chancer,  who couldn't get one win from ten. Hes playing attractive attacking football, yep. But were 5 points clear of relegation with a team of absolute shite, anyone with a bit of cash could walk this league.

Nonsense. 

Fancy us for all three here. Not a happy clapper by any stretch but sitting in and showing no ambition suits us. 0-2 latics.

Egert, Maouche, fage, Morrais and sylla all should start for me but not going to happen.

reluctant shout out to Richie, best latics player I’ve ever seen at boundary park (Yes I started at the beginning of the 25 year spiral)

11 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

You missed the "going up with Ronnie Moore" game

Plus the 2-1 win under Talbot, which guaranteed us survival in the league, the season after administration. 

Jermaine Johnson and Paul Murray the scorers.

Felt like a line had been drawn under our troubles (at the time). The best atmosphere created from relatively low numbers that I can remember.  Possibly the only time "Oh When The Blues.." has been sung for an entire half..

One of my favourite Latics games...

9 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Nonsense. 

Wellens, although doing well,

Really fell into a barrel of roses after leaving here, swindon have always been a decent set up and had he gone to a lesser club, then, I still think the same problems that dogged him here would be laid bare once more.

Let's see if he ever steps up from this temporary lofty position 🤔

12 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

Remember that game vividly, we were comfortably better than them (mainly due to them trying to play out from the back and barely getting past the halfway line) so when they equalised I was thinking how did we throw that away?!  Then Philliskirk popped up with a great finish a couple of minutes later for Dunn's first win (and penultimate as it turned out).

The best one for me was 2004.  Absolutely backs-to-the-wall.  They were chasing automatic, we were pretty much one win from safety.  Jermaine Johnson running from close to halfway with just the keeper to beat, I had no faith that he was going to finish due to his ability to score worldies but miss sitters.  He duly slots it home and sends us wild and we win 2-1.  I believe that was the match that the OWTB chant properly started too?

Dino on Swindon’s players:

"They're the best team in the league right now. I think that if you look at the players they have, Mathieu Baudry has won promotion from this level twice in the last three years with Doncaster Rovers and MK Dons and they've got Michael Doughty in the middle of the park with a terrific left foot, terrific box-to-box player.

"Also, they've Anthony Grant and he has won many promotions with different clubs and he's been around the block and their front three Kaiyne Woolery, Eoin Doyle and Jerry Yates they all can score and create goals and they're a real force going forward and they're a very good team."

:shock:

Archived