Swindon away 🙄

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

There will be plenty of good loan players available and we will get some of them I'm sure.

If I was in charge of sending out young players on loan from a higher club we'd be a long way down the list of preferred destinations.  They want to be confident that players will learn and progress but playing in such an unstable environment wouldn't be the best way to achieve that. 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

The point is formations tactics or the manager won't matter with the current squad its just not good enough.

Absolutely, the keeper I have no issue with, but the defence, midfield and attack need wholesale changes. 

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

If I was in charge of sending out young players on loan from a higher club we'd be a long way down the list of preferred destinations.  They want to be confident that players will learn and progress but playing in such an unstable environment wouldn't be the best way to achieve that. 

You will still see lots being given the chance to play competitive football rather than stuck in the tepid u23 leagues.

We will sign at least a couple.

Swindon supporter in London here. I went yesterday (certainly don't go to all the games, this was a bit of a random choice).

We thought Oldham were a decent football side, with one or two players in particular being obviously comfortable on the ball. Your manager had clearly done his homework and played a high press that forced us into awful errors in possession. A couple of observers on here are quote shrewd observing this. Your biggest problem is you never looked like scoring (apart from one miss), however well you did in other areas. Whether that's tactical, formation or player quality, I don't know.

A bit too myopic to say our goals were errors or avoidable. The first was not only a brilliant long pass by Doughty, but was deliberately played in behind the wing backs - something Wellens had planned for. If you play wing backs (we did for ages, over two decades) it can be exciting but can leave big gaps in the wide channels. And it was a brilliant finish by Woolery - hardly an open goal. The third goal (second incorrectly ruled out for offside) by Doyle wasn't exactly presented on a plate. He had to beat or shimmy past two defenders and then curl a shot inside the far post. Great goal, he's a class striker if given the right service.

Wellens has made Doyle look amazing and Bradford cannot work it out. But this same combination worked before for Oldham? I'm not sure about Wellens. We're not Bradford or Plymouth - so arrogant that we should not be in League 2 - we've been here for three seasons now. But based on attendances, finance and recent history, we think we should be doing better than we have been the last two years. If that's down to Wellens coaching, or good signings, or something else, I don't know.  

Anyway, good luck Oldham. As I said to my mate as we were leaving, we've seen far worse teams than Oldham. Depressingly, these are usually big, thuggish, long-ball teams like Newport rather than those that play football.

21 hours ago, Frankies6 said:

ive never stated him being manager of the month.. i like Dino.. i just think he has some big games coming up, needs to start picking some points up.

"Maouche was back involved but I want more from him. He's our creative player and when we don't score goals we're looking at those players and we expect more.

"He had a good 90 minutes and worked very hard for the team and was part of a solid performance."

Hes an idiot. The quote above from Saturday sums him up. We didn't score a goal, and Maoche didn't create a clear chance of note, yet Maamria said he had a good 90 minutes and a solid display. I would hate to see what Maoche has to do to have a shit game. 

The whole club is deluded. On Saturday Roy stated that Alex Iacovitti has really come on this season, and that hes been playing regularly so must be doing something right. Then watched him be so far out of position for the 1st goal, miss an open net and generally play very average and gave him MOM. 

1 hour ago, youngen said:

"Maouche was back involved but I want more from him. He's our creative player and when we don't score goals we're looking at those players and we expect more.

"He had a good 90 minutes and worked very hard for the team and was part of a solid performance."

Hes an idiot. The quote above from Saturday sums him up. We didn't score a goal, and Maoche didn't create a clear chance of note, yet Maamria said he had a good 90 minutes and a solid display. I would hate to see what Maoche has to do to have a shit game. 

The whole club is deluded. On Saturday Roy stated that Alex Iacovitti has really come on this season, and that hes been playing regularly so must be doing something right. Then watched him be so far out of position for the 1st goal, miss an open net and generally play very average and gave him MOM. 

Seems a fair assessment to me. Maouche, like the team, worked hard all game but Dino wants and expects more creativity. 🤔

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Dino is all gob, said it from the off. He’s not the manager to progress us at all, but he might keep us stable until off field issues are sorted. 

How can you know that with what he's had to work with now and what he will have in January?

21 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Dino is all gob, said it from the off. He’s not the manager to progress us at all, but he might keep us stable until off field issues are sorted. 

Don't agree with the all gob bit, but agree with the rest.

I think he has enough nous and understanding of this level to keep us up, he also currently seems to be able to control team selection more than previous managers/head coaches, but I don't see him being the manager who could revitalise the club and push us back up the league(s). 

For now that's not something we have to consider though, in the short term it's about staying in the EFL and I think we could (and probably would) do worse than Maamria.

I've always been a very harsh critic where Maouche is concerned, but I thought he had a very decent first half. He did thread some very good balls through, but we didn't cash in. In the second half, he was half arsed and cost us a lot of possession in midfield. That's why he's so frustrating and I would only use him off the bench.

As for Iacovitti, he seems to be playing more as a wing back and got forward more than he defended. Maybe this is the problem. He can, and does, show some decent skill when attacking, but found wanting when defending, precisely why Woollery had so much space and time to score.

As for Dino, be may not be the head coach/manager to get us promoted, but he had us playing some very good football on Saturday. He's restricted by what he has to play with, so let's see what happens in January and judge him when he's (hopefully) got some better players in and someone who knows where the onion bag is.

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Seems a fair assessment to me. Maouche, like the team, worked hard all game but Dino wants and expects more creativity. 🤔

So how can he say he had a good game? He's got Jones and Mccann to be solid. And Maoche was non existent second half mostly. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

and until those off field issues are sorted no manager is taking us forward sacking him will merely be an act of deck chair rearranging on the Titanic.

8 minutes ago, youngen said:

So how can he say he had a good game? He's got Jones and Mccann to be solid. And Maoche was non existent second half mostly. 

He's trying to be constructive and supportive to him in public but what he says in the dressing room and behind closed doors are likely to be 2 very different things.

22 minutes ago, youngen said:

If you look at all players on the pitch, the rest of the team, apart from maybe Morais and Iacovitti,  were fairly anonymous for the second half. As Glossop said earlier, this is Dino trying not too overly criticise in public. 

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

How can you know that with what he's had to work with now and what he will have in January?

20 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

and until those off field issues are sorted no manager is taking us forward sacking him will merely be an act of deck chair rearranging on the Titanic.

He's trying to be constructive and supportive to him in public but what he says in the dressing room and behind closed doors are likely to be 2 very different things.

I don’t want Dino to be sacked, I don’t see the point at all, and yes he has not had a transfer window. But from what I have seen I think he is fairly poor tactically, talks a good game and a good motivator but in reality we are 22nd in league 2, worse position than he took over. The style of play is non existent, we don’t have one. Just not for me, nice bloke, good talker and that’s where it ends for me. 

9 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I don’t want Dino to be sacked, I don’t see the point at all, and yes he has not had a transfer window. But from what I have seen I think he is fairly poor tactically, talks a good game and a good motivator but in reality we are 22nd in league 2, worse position than he took over. The style of play is non existent, we don’t have one. Just not for me, nice bloke, good talker and that’s where it ends for me. 

We are a club 89th in the English football pyramid we are on our 5th manager in the last 12 months, an owner who is a borderline lunatic who employs his borderline lunatic brother as a sporting director. What kind of tactical wizard is going to want that job?

And that’s exactly why we need to get these 🤡🤡 out ASAP. I really don’t think the situation is recoverable and IMO the longer they’re here the worse it will become.

**********ABDALLAH OUT**********

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

We are a club 89th in the English football pyramid we are on our 5th manager in the last 12 months, an owner who is a borderline lunatic who employs his borderline lunatic brother as a sporting director. What kind of tactical wizard is going to want that job?

I'm not sure they're just borderline.

5 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

As much as I didn't want Banide initially (and would have had Dino over him in the summer) I think we would be higher up the league than we are now if he had stayed in charge.

The few games before he was sacked you could see us settling into a passing style of play and performances were beginning to pick up. He had his style of play and we was picking up on it whereas Dino doesn't have a clue on how he wants them to play and you can see that reflecting in the players on the pitch. 

Archived