A new book out by a former Latic

It is perhaps not often that a former Latic puts pen to paper to tell their life story, so I thought I'd let you good folk know of one such book which has just been published (my own role as a friend of he author has been in helping him to finalise his book after we met back in 2016 when he agreed to write the foreword for my own book 'Roots To The 92').

Derek Spence was brought over from his local Northern Irish team Crusaders to Boundary Park by manager Jimmy Frizzell in the Summer of 1970 – it was Derek’s first full-time professional contract. The blond centre forward only made six first team appearances during his time with Oldham, but he recalls fondly his time as a Latic in some detail in his book as it was his experiences with you that then set him up to have a long career in the game.

Derek, known to many as ‘Snowball’, is a great character and has had a varied and colourful life. His story takes you from his humble upbringing in trouble-torn Belfast to his times mostly as a lower-league fully committed striker which after leaving us took him to Bury, Blackpool and Southend. He also had some interesting times playing for Olympiacos and with George Best in Hong Kong, plus won 29 caps for Northern Ireland.

So, if you are thinking of a last-minute stocking-filler for Christmas, or maybe just fancy giving yourself a treat, why not give Derek’s book a try? You can find 'From the Troubles To The Tower', which is already receiving some great reviews, in either kindle or paperback, at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Troubles-Tower-Derek-Spence/dp/1787234274/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1576133213&sr=8-1

Hope this is of some interest, and all the best for the remainder of the season.

Funnily enough I was going to ask his nephew (on Oldham FB group) to see if Derek Spence would provide me with some stories about OAFC as I am embarking on a quest to tell the story of the Club from players and fans perspectives.

Will certainly be looking at this book - thanks for the update    

Thanks for the interest so far. Derek tells why he only made six apps in his book - it's quite a story (linked to the meaness of the Oldham Board at that time!)

You'll easily spot Derek in the attached pic!

HIs book is a great read no matter what team you support - it takes you back to when football was very different to what it is now

Cheers, Andy

Team-Group-Photo-Poster-Oldham-Athletic.jpg

2 minutes ago, Roots To The 92 said:

Thanks for the interest so far. Derek tells why he only made six apps in his book - it's quite a story (linked to the meaness of the Oldham Board at that time!)

You'll easily spot Derek in the attached pic!

HIs book is a great read no matter what team you support - it takes you back to when football was very different to what it is now

Cheers, Andy

Team-Group-Photo-Poster-Oldham-Athletic.jpg

Some cracking players there.

My favourite was Alan McNeill, a strolling midfield player who could pass long for Shawy and had a great shot.

Also a few local lads Andy Sweeny, Keith Hicks, Chris Ogden, Ian Buckley and Steve Hoolicken spring to mind.

David Shaw scored the first goal I ever saw at BP,, in my first ever game, aged 9 in March 1973, in a 1-0 win over Swansea. 

I still remember the goal vividly, as it was struck from the edge of the box, and hit the underside of the crossbar before bouncing down over the line. He had ran on to a ball over the top, and his electric pace got him their well ahead of the trailing defenders.

Just now, Hometownclub said:

David Shaw scored the first goal I ever saw at BP,, in my first ever game, aged 9 in March 1973, in a 1-0 win over Swansea. 

I still remember the goal vividly, as it was struck from the edge of the box, and hit the underside of the crossbar before bouncing down over the line. He had ran on to a ball over the top, and his electric pace got him their well ahead of the trailing defenders.

Can remember him giving the centre half 10 yards start running towards the Chaddy, as the defender looked over his shoulder Shawy eased off only to accelerate when he turned to re-engage with the ball. He pinched it off him but didn't score !

His pace first time round was electric and a perfect foil to Jimmy Fryatt's heading prowess.

40 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Can remember him giving the centre half 10 yards start running towards the Chaddy, as the defender looked over his shoulder Shawy eased off only to accelerate when he turned to re-engage with the ball. He pinched it off him but didn't score !

His pace first time round was electric and a perfect foil to Jimmy Fryatt's heading prowess.

Wore contact lenses, he missed lots of chances when clear through on goal. I assume they fell out en route.

58 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Some cracking players there.

My favourite was Alan McNeill, a strolling midfield player who could pass long for Shawy and had a great shot.

Also a few local lads Andy Sweeny, Keith Hicks, Chris Ogden, Ian Buckley and Steve Hoolicken spring to mind.

And Alan Groves to follow. Great times.

We did have some fairly handy centre forwards around at the time Derek was here (Shaw, Big Jim, Garwood, Lochead, Jones etc) hence his limited opportunities. Also won the Ford Sporting League around the time,  part of which was based based on goals scored so we weren't doing too bad. Without looking it up didn't he represent Northern Ireland whilst still with us.

14 minutes ago, cheshireblue said:

We did have some fairly handy centre forwards around at the time Derek was here (Shaw, Big Jim, Garwood, Lochead, Jones etc) hence his limited opportunities. Also won the Ford Sporting League around the time,  part of which was based based on goals scored so we weren't doing too bad. Without looking it up didn't he represent Northern Ireland whilst still with us.

First cap was three years after he left us

Like others remember Derek Spence very well. Amazed he played so few games for us - just one of those that sticks with you maybe?

David Shaw - alongside Grovesy, my favourite all time Latics player. Scintillating pace from a standing start and just a great forward for us. Went to West Brom if I recall for a small fortune at the time (think it was £80,000) before returning. I remember being gutted for him when a paltry 2,000 or so turned out for a testimonial game for him against Bar Steward Rovers. 

I`ll certainly get a copy of Derek's book.

3 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Like others remember Derek Spence very well. Amazed he played so few games for us - just one of those that sticks with you maybe?

David Shaw - alongside Grovesy, my favourite all time Latics player. Scintillating pace from a standing start and just a great forward for us. Went to West Brom if I recall for a small fortune at the time (think it was £80,000) before returning. I remember being gutted for him when a paltry 2,000 or so turned out for a testimonial game for him against Bar Steward Rovers. 

I`ll certainly get a copy of Derek's book.

But his return against Southampton, kept quiet until just before kick off, when he scored a hat trick was one of the all time great days. I met him 15 years ago with SAFE and was a bit disappointed that he said he much preferred rugby league to football!

16 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

But his return against Southampton, kept quiet until just before kick off, when he scored a hat trick was one of the all time great days. I met him 15 years ago with SAFE and was a bit disappointed that he said he much preferred rugby league to football!

So fast he would probably have been an international Rugby winger.

Archived